The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite impromptu or quick to set up card tricks? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
What are your favorite effects with a normal deck of cards?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4226 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Aces to Jacks-All Backs by Steve Dobson

Mr. E Takes a Stroll by John Guastaferro

Ace Thang by Cameron Francis

Back in Time by Jay Sankey

No Way! Two-Way by Mark Elsdon

Final Verdict by John Bannon

Maxi-Twist by Roger Smith/Bill Malone

The Stranger by Jonathan Levit

Double Exposure by Asi Wind

Quick Coincidence by Allan Ackerman

Naked Strange by Paul Harris

Reswindled by Caleb Wiles

Lemon Aces by Jack Carpenter

Icebreaker by Lee Smith

Third Degree by Lee Smith

Tiny Plunger by Jon Armstrong

Anything (that’s the name) by Ben Williams

I have a lot of favorites but I use them all.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8337 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
HaLo Aces, Fantastic Ace Assembly, Out of this Universe, Impromptu Out of this Universe, Guess Quotient, Lorayne's poker Deal, Startler, Slider Finder, Top Level Test, Double Take, Take Five, Lazy Man's Card Trick, Card Sharp & Four Gamblers, Cal-Q-Lator,
Stabbed In The Pack, Lorayne's Poker Deal, That's The Truth, A Much Better Chance, The Flying Kings, Any Ace Spell --- plus a few thousand others!, That Darn 4C, S/H/F Killer, Amazing Tracking, Word's Best Card Hanadler, Magician Vs. Gambler - and a few thousand more!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Favorites with a normal deck of cards? Too numerous to mention. However, for the quick set-up from a normal deck, Harry's Impromptu Out of this Universe is ingenious, and my personal favorite of the "quick set up" category. Lynn
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
39 Posts

Profile of Pierre Cardinlemon
I have several favorite impromptu card tricks, the following come into my mind at the moment:

Out of this world from a shuffled deck
Ambitious card
2 card monte (David Blaine(?))
3 cards across (Royal road to card magic)
The invisible card (Giobbi's CC3)
Reverse engineering (James Brown's Professional Opportunist)
Caught three times (James Brown's Professional Opportunist)
Double exposure (Asi Wind)
Gemini calling (Giobbi's CC Lightest)
Four 4 following (Kimlat's Roadrunner cull)
Three cards under a box (Hollingworth's Drawing room deceptions)
Blessed poker (Aragon's Book in English)
Connection (This is one of my creations: one spectator selects a card, her partner reads her mind and also finds her card proving the mental connection between them. No stooges, no magnets, no color changing thimbles, just a borrowed deck of cards and some basic sleights.)
Tortuga
View Profile
Elite user
Ballwin, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Just to piggyback on what Harry listed above, ALL of the tricks can be done with a borrowed deck. Any set-ups required are quick and easy and can be done in the process of looking through the cards, etc.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Shufflebored
Old Faithfull from FASDIU
Scarnes $1000 trick
Joe Riding impromptu monte
7 card 9 card trick Solomon
That’s the Truth Lorayne
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
249 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
Another vote for Old Faithful from FASDIU
rosstrainer08
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of rosstrainer08
Intuition Speller (Vincent)
Triumph (Vernon/Hamburg/Vincent/Bannon
The Invisible Card (Cummins)
Back The Way They Were (Malone)
Unadulterated Cutting the Aces (Vernon)
Dunberry's Delusion (Miller)
Lorayne's Poker Deal (Lorayne)
Pre-Prefiguration (Elsdon)
Twisting The Aces (Vernon)
3 Card Monte (Various)
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of KokoB
Triumph all the way.. One of the greatest trick ever created
Melephin
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Melephin
I have only "impromptu" routines in my repertoire. There is almost nothing you can't do with a borrowed and shuffled deck. And if you need a stack, you can set it up in front of the audience and boom, you are even ready for full stack miracles..if you like. Most of the time, the set up is even part of the routine itself.
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1130 Posts

Profile of Paul H
If I had to choose one effect that met the above conditions, it would be the Lorayne Poker Deal with Harry’s patter. Easy to do, highly entertaining with a strong reveal at the end. What’s not to like.

Paul H
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
560 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2019, Melephin wrote:
I have only "impromptu" routines in my repertoire. There is almost nothing you can't do with a borrowed and shuffled deck. And if you need a stack, you can set it up in front of the audience and boom, you are even ready for full stack miracles..if you like. Most of the time, the set up is even part of the routine itself.

Ok and what are your favorites?
Have a nice day
Melephin
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Melephin
I love them all. But if I had to choose one or two…: "My Impromptu Lucky Card Routine" and Rene Lavands "It can't be done any slower"
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2306 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Wow, this is a huge question.

I tend to have sets I do and I switch out effects in those sets every now and then. Old sets included Naked Strange, Triumph, Doc Daley's Aces, Twisting the Aces, various OOTWs, Trait Secrets (modified, no Aces, John Bannon), The Trick That Cannot Be Explained, Dr. Jones (Atlas Brooking).

Current sets include: Las Vegas Leaper (Paul Harris), Future Reference (Ben Blau), Double Exposure (Asi Wind), a variation of Light Speed (Rick Lax), a Triumph routine, and several effects pieced together from multiple sources (often Harry Lorayne's work falls into this category).

Good luck!
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2306 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2019, Melephin wrote:

Disagree 100%. That is:
I disagree with "There is almost nothing you can't do with a borrowed and shuffled deck" as there are going to be compromises you have to make with a shuffled deck in use, especially for certain effects.
I disagree with "you can set it up in front of the audience" as, while you "CAN", it seems very obvious. Much better to just learn some false shuffles and cuts and start stacked, if one so desires (this goes back to the point above, where a stack certainly allows for things a randomly ordered deck does not).
I disagree with "you are even ready for full stack miracles". Really? You are going to do a whole deck stack in front of the audience? I'm just imagining how that would look and how much time it would take, yuck.
I disagree with "Most of the time, the set up is even part of the routine itself". Define most of the time then. I certainly agree with this being possible sometimes. I think Bannon's routine from "Dear Mr Fantasy" is a prime example of how clean this could look. But "Most of the time"? No freaking way. I mean, you could make a set like this, which would be great. But your stated premise is that there is almost nothing you can't do from a shuffled deck.

I'm certainly happy you only do impromptu stuff. Because it makes you happy. I just don't agree with what you said. But that is just my opinion, you keep being you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Your favorite impromptu or quick to set up card tricks? (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL