The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good card magic books for download? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
I am currently away from home with no way to get physical books. What are good places to buy downloadable books and what books do you highly recommend?
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Lybrary.com is fantastic. You can find *lots* of book suggestions on the Café, e. g., in the sticky notes, but one really good book is Ian Kendall's Basic Training. He covers cards, coins, balls, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. He's a great teacher; breaks everything down into easily manageable pieces that you can drill separately, then shows you how to put them together into a trick or sleight. It's available from Lybrary.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I think Pit Hartling's Little Green lecture notes are the best thing I've ever got from Lybrary.
LLEpub has tons of classic stuff. There's a lot of older stuff such as Jenning, Elmsley, Marlo, Vernon, etc. And really good stuff from the 80s also, like Simon Lovell or James Swain, etc. I think the Elmsley books are my best buy there.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8302 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Check out Conjuring Arts - they sell quite a few of my books (not all) as e-books.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Wordsworth,

Can you give me an idea of which sleights are used in The Little Green Lecture Notes? Or at least how hard they are? I'm especially intrigued by Robin Hood.

And 1tepa1, I've bought several of Harry's books from Conjuring Arts and enjoyed them.

Bob
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
670 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I have an e-version of The Card Magic of Nick Trost. I don't remember where I bought it.

It would help to know what level you're at, and what kinds of books you're looking for.

Bob
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
[quote]On Oct 14, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Hi Wordsworth,

Can you give me an idea of which sleights are used in The Little Green Lecture Notes? Or at least how hard they are? I'm especially intrigued by Robin Hood.

And 1tepa1, I've bought several of Harry's books from Conjuring Arts and enjoyed them.

Hi Bob,

Honestly, the routines are not particularly difficult at all. Robin Hood is a very nice trick, and looks great visually, and there's nothing tough in there. There's no M-deck in the notes, if that's what you were wondering. Chaos is a self working effect. Triathlon is one of his better known tricks I believe, and looks great, and that one is probably the most difficult one in there. But even so, it's intermediate level stuff, I feel, and he explains everything fully so even if you don't know what you need to know, you'll get it from the notes. Cupit is probably my favorite item in this booklet, although I've never performed it. (Still have it on my 'to do' list). Basically a shuffled deck ends up in pair/mates order, and it's a very well constructed and cool routine. There's no wasted space in these notes; all the tricks are good ones. And all within reach of the intermediate card person. I really love this booklet.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks so much for this detailed reply, Wordsworth. I really like the way you put this: "he explains everything fully so even if you don't know what you need to know, you'll get it from the notes." That's exactly what I look for in a teacher, and what I strive for in my own teaching. I've decided to buy this book.

Just curious: Is "Wordsworth" a reference to the poet? I ask because I'm a poetry fan and have even managed to get some of my own poems published in good magazines (though certainly not at the level of the New Yorker!).

See you,

Bob
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Maybe get Card Fictions instead.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Sorry. Missed the Download Book part. Don’t think you can get Card Fictions as. Download, but it’s a great book.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
You can download The Charlatans Handbook from llepub.com. It is great. Really a lot of good stuff in there.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Just nipped over to llepub.com. They have the Al Schneider book for under 20 quid and some Vernon for 9 pounds. Also Klause in Concert is a very reasonable price.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
You can download The Charlatans Handbook from llepub.com. It is great. Really a lot of good stuff in there.

Hearty second. This book is a gem.
TopChange
View Profile
Regular user
Connecticut
162 Posts

Profile of TopChange
If anyone is going to purchase an E-book from llepub I would wait until black Friday.
Friday, November 29th.
L&L always has a 70% off sale that will last a few weeks.

Happy Shopping. Smile
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Thanks so much for this detailed reply, Wordsworth. I really like the way you put this: "he explains everything fully so even if you don't know what you need to know, you'll get it from the notes." That's exactly what I look for in a teacher, and what I strive for in my own teaching. I've decided to buy this book.

Just curious: Is "Wordsworth" a reference to the poet? I ask because I'm a poetry fan and have even managed to get some of my own poems published in good magazines (though certainly not at the level of the New Yorker!).

See you,

Bob

Let me know how you like this, Bob. Hopefully I've steered you right and you'll enjoy it. And yes, Wordsworth is a reference to the poet. Back in the day I wanted to be a writer, and did in fact publish professionally for a short time. When thinking about my 'internet name' I wanted to go with a literary figure, and went through some like Shelley, Dickens, Byron, that just didn't click. Wordsworth captured what I was after, so I've kept that one. Now all the writing I do is either at work, or on the magic Café.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, TopChange wrote:
If anyone is going to purchase an E-book from llepub I would wait until black Friday.
Friday, November 29th.
L&L always has a 70% off sale that will last a few weeks.

Happy Shopping. Smile

This is very true. Both their ebook and video/download library are amazing, and the sale prices are beautiful. I've purchased literally dozens of things from there. This year I'm going to get Josh Jay's Talk about Tricks. I'm a book guy at heart, but I think I've got all their books now, so I'm moving through the downloads. The John G and David Regal are probably my favorites.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for the info, Wordsworth. If you haven't, and ever have a chance, go to the Lake District in England. You can visit W's house (at least you could when I went in the eighties), and, not all that far away, Breatrix's Potter's house. And the scenery is to die for. Bring your raingear. Like you, I like Wordsworth, though I've only read his most famous, shorter poems.

I bought the "green" book but haven't had a chance to look carefully. I'll let you know what I think.

Bob
Wordsworth
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Looks like L&Lepub has 60% off right now, for halloween. For those of you who can't wait for Black Friday ...
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
The Kindle editions of Expert at the Card Table and Royal Road to Card Magic are $2.99 each.

If you like Liam Montier and Cameron Francis, they have quite a few e-books.

John Carey has some e-books.

Michal Kociolek's recently released Plots & Methods is really good.

Most of this is available from Vanishing Inc; Cameron has his own site.

I bought a PDF of Dear Mr. Fantasy directly from John Bannon a couple of years ago and it is one of my favorites.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good card magic books for download? (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL