The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good card magic books for download? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, Mike Powers wrote:
Now back to he topic - "Good Card Magic Books for Download." Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd be especially interested in books/notes that are only offered as eBooks.

Mike

While I find this debate fascinating, I don't quite understand why people can't just buy books in the format of their choice and move on with their lives rather than engaging in a flame war about the merits of the formats. Remember the people who claimed CDs just didn't have the feel of a vinyl record?

To get back to the original topic (remember that?) and to address Mike's question, I rather like Liam Montier's ebooks which I don't believe are available in print. "The BOOF" in particular stands out as having some strong routines. Some classics like Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" are no longer in print but available for a steal as a PDF. Even Harry Lorayne's Classic Collection Volume 1 is out of print and only available as an ebook. And I second the recommendation for "Plots and Methods" by Michal Kociolek.
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1108 Posts

Profile of Chris
An excellent ebook on cards which is not available in print is "Jack McMillen" by Michael Landes. https://www.lybrary.com/jack-mcmillen-p-129443.html
Jack McMillen is a name we all should know much more about. This book is your opportunity. Jack was an all-rounder, a technician, creator and performer, and he excelled in all three realms. Blessed with prodigious skill, he was already one of the top card men in the country while still in high school (1925-1929). Due to his widening reputation, Charlie Miller, living on the other side of the country, sought him out in 1929. They were to remain close friends for sixty years.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, Chris wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, magicfish wrote:
I don't own a computer. Never have. Never will. Does that bother you? I dislike technology. How will information change that?

First, I think you are hypocrite. You are posting to an online (digital) forum. You have made an astounding 6186 posts and yet you state you dislike technology. Without technology and in particular computers you would not be able to engage in this online discussion. Second, the topic of this thread is "Good card magic books for download". Why poop all over here with your dislike for ebooks when the topic is about finding 'good ebooks'?

I don't like cars either, but I drive one to work every day.
And I thank you for your second personal attack on me. It shows everyone here what type of person you are.

C'mon, seriously? Chris is a very sage and prudent person and I don't see him attacking anyone personally.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6218 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Then perhaps you can answer my question in his stead.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1482 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
All this talk of personal attacks cracks me up 🤣 Some folks need to grow thicker skin. How dare you call me a hypocrite!... Hahahahaha.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Then perhaps you can answer my question in his stead.

No, to be honest I can't. Because I actually can't find no serious question of yours in this thread. This thread is about recommendations for digital books - but from page one on you are derailing it with your constant rant about what you don't like in ebooks. I think we are all fine with that you don't use them (and ignore what you're missing) but can't you just let others take advantage of modern technology and enjoy the benefits?
Don't get me wrong, I am old school myself, have hundreds of physical books on my shelf and adore them for what they are: physical items to refer to whenever it suits me. But nonetheless I use ebooks and do all my magical research with them. They are priceless for that, if you believe it or not.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6218 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Nicolino wrote:
"I actually can't find no serious question of yours in this thread."

Very well, I'll copy and paste it:

"how am I misinformed about ebooks and how will correct information change my opinion of them?"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6218 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Nicolino wrote:

"I think we are all fine with that you don't use them"

I wish that were true. Chris is not okay with it. In fact, he says I don't like them because I am misinformed, hence my question above.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
If you open up a new topic for this, I'll try to explain WHAT I THINK Chris is meaning. Because I don't want to derail this thread any further.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
524 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, CardGuyMike wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, Mike Powers wrote:
Now back to he topic - "Good Card Magic Books for Download." Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd be especially interested in books/notes that are only offered as eBooks.

Mike

While I find this debate fascinating, I don't quite understand why people can't just buy books in the format of their choice and move on with their lives rather than engaging in a flame war about the merits of the formats. Remember the people who claimed CDs just didn't have the feel of a vinyl record?

To get back to the original topic (remember that?) and to address Mike's question, I rather like Liam Montier's ebooks which I don't believe are available in print. "The BOOF" in particular stands out as having some strong routines. Some classics like Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" are no longer in print but available for a steal as a PDF. Even Harry Lorayne's Classic Collection Volume 1 is out of print and only available as an ebook. And I second the recommendation for "Plots and Methods" by Michal Kociolek.

I'm with you, I really enjoy the debate as well. I remember long ago back when the DVD format was first introduced I was not a fan ("It's read only, you can't record like you can with VHS!"), I've come a long way. The last few years I transitioned new movie purchases to Blu-ray from DVD because of the quality but as I get older I find that I don't want to keep accumulating stuff and now enjoy the convenience of streaming.

Magic books are one of the few hold-overs for me where I still really love the feel of a physical book, but ebooks have their special place in my heart now as well. That is when ebooks are done right. I remember getting The Card Magic of Nick Trost from llepub...great book and I highly recommend it, but L&L basically just scanned the material and it is a PDF that is not searchable and not too easy to read due to the quality of the scan. Which is where I think kShepher's perspective on PDF earlier in the thread comes from. But when PDF is done right, it is fantastic. In my work as an electrical engineer I can't stress enough how nice it is to have the National Electrical Code with me easily searchable instead of having to lug around that huge tome with me.

I think it would be better to move the debate to a new thread so we can get back to focusing on great ebooks. As for magicfish, he is a great resource here who is very knowledgeable about magic but I do find it frustrating how he finds his way into these topics pertaining to the digital format to try and discredit it, even when the topic was not about the format itself but great resources in the format.

As far as some of my picks, I love the Ask Roberto Giobbio (https://www.lybrary.com/ask-roberto-giobbi-p-11669.html), which started off only being available as digital but later offered physical as well. I ended up getting both.

Harry Lorayne mentioned a lot of his material is now at Conjuring Arts. Because he was gracious enough to allow this, I was able to purchase Personal Collection (https://store.conjuringarts.org/product/personal-collection-by-harry-lorayne-text-based-pdf-with-bookmarks/) which was only available in limited quantities as a physical book at a much higher price tag than the digital version. Conjuring Arts did a greatjob with the quality of the PDF as it is text-based with bookmarks.

Card Magic of Nick Trost, even though it is not the best digital version, the material is great.

I will try to post more later.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6218 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Robert wrote:
"he finds his way into these topics pertaining to the digital format to try and discredit it"

Sorry Robert. With all due respect, this isn't the case here. Go back to page two and see where I respectfully disagreed with Bob G. I was then told I couldn't "search" my library. When I said I could I was asked to explain- so I did. Politely. My opinions were then pounced on and I was called a misinformed hypocrite.
I respect you Robert, but this just isn't the case.
Thank you for your compliments.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
524 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Hello magicfish, when you were replying to Bob’s post…
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, Bob G wrote:
Hi Barry,

To each his own, no? I prefer physical books too, but in the field of magic, where most of what we want can't be found in a library, and is often very expensive, it's wonderful to have resources like Chris's Lybrary.

Best Regards,

Bob

I respectfully disagree, but, as you say, to each his own.

…you state you disagree, which I am reading it as you don’t think it is wonderful to have resources like Chris’s Lybrary. It is fine to have that opinion, but what does it have to do with the subject of the thread?

Not only that, but you didn’t offer any additional reasoning on why you feel this way, which makes it seem (to me) as if it’s a drive-by post to derail the topic. Physical books are great, trust me, I get it, but why not both?

Barry (Merc Man) offered some examples on why he felt an ebook was not a book (which I think were easily refuted on the same page), but again, I don’t see what his post has to do with the subject of ‘recommended ebooks’.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6218 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Fair enough Robert. Thanks for taking the time.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
392 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Chris asks why I limit myself to a smartphone. Valid question. I limit myself to a smartphone because when I am home I read REAL books. I have zero desire to lug a tablet around. I am not a kid and don't run around the city with a knapsack.

Chris also points out that PDFs on a tablet are much better. I agree, they are. But they are still not "good"....but you can deal with them.

Just give me a Kindle format or forget it.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Time to send this thread to the garbage dump. Not below. Unless people stop answering the dudes who get on here merely to argue with themselves and others.

There are plenty of good card magic books for download. Many of them free. You have to be a little persistent with google but try it. Beats debating on a useless topic here.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
392 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Country is right.

The original purpose was derailed. I am guilty....but I am not only one.

There are TONS of good books in ....electronic....format.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
392 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Carneycopia is a prime example.
If it's not me it's somebody else. It's usually somebody else. That's what makes this place so fun...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Good card magic books for download? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL