The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Appealing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicman01462
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magicman01462
Hey i've been wondering why do so many laymen all love david b? HE talks in a monotone voice, and doesn't have any extremely impressive skill. I'm not surew if its his darkand mysterious persona, or just luck that he has gotten so popular... Any thoughts?
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Huh....I would say...He's unlike any magician that I know of. BUT, I don't know of that many. Sure, I've heard of a lot of greats, able to knock Blaine off his feet, but I've never seen them, therefore I can't make a really good case one way or another.

However, I would say the reason that people love him is that he presents his stuff as real magic, instead of clever sleight of hand. Everyone loves magicians who have clever patter, that make you laugh, and do amazing things. But everyone is also amazed by this weirdo who stares at you and does some freaky stuff...That is, freaky unless you know how to do a double lift! Smile

Still, I think his style is different, and I like it. I'm a beginning street magician myself, and I don't do Blaine style magic. But I think that the dude's kinda cool.
Smile

Any other thoughts?

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
Magicman01462
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magicman01462
Yes now that i think about it you are correct, he does have his own way of performing and making tricks his own, good thoughts, i myself need to come up with a good street magic routine, any thought?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Promotion and exposure, coupled with a good bit of deceit!

In this day of relative truths, all you have to do is say something enough times, and it becomes true. He was promoted as a great street magician, time after time, and after a while people began to beleive it.

He didnt get on TV becuase he was the best. But the fact that he was on TV gave him an exposure and credibility that made him a "name".

So much for the promotion and exposure.

Now for the deceit!

A number of his "impromptu street performances" were simply not honest portrayals. There was studio work shot, and street staging that was simply acted out, and presented as impromptu magic.

But regardless of the facts, the public has bought it. And so it goes....

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Yeah, I guess BroDavid has some points one can't ignore.

AND I would like to add one thing. Do NOT model your street magic show after the stuff that Blaine does! To quote a few VERY good magicians here (at least I THINK Peter M. is good, who knows Smile) "Blaine does NOT do street magic. He does stuff that would be better suited to a party environment."

Again, browse thru the stuff in "The Sidewalk Shuffle", and you'll find some neat stuff! As the magicians on here have said, and after doing a few shows, I would be inclined to agree with them, Street Magic is very similar to "Parlor" magic, that is, halfway between stage and close up work.
Linking rings, silks, etc.

I was let down the first time I heard this, as I wanted to do close up stuff. BUT now I really like what I do...Well, it COULD be better, and I'm working on that.

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
Kardenni
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando Florida
116 Posts

Profile of Kardenni
Our dear friend Mr. Blaine happened to be in the right place at the right time! He also has friends in the business.
Smile
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I understand David Blaine for one reason, mainly I am starting doing street magic, and like blaine, I don't pass the hat. This is mainly because I don't really need the money and I live in Santa Cruz california. Asking for money somewhere that isn't you "turf" is like as not to get you shot. So, it's a great way to promote myself, and gain overall magic experience. It's also a great way to meet girls. I also tend to avoid calling things "tricks" because though less serious than blaine, I like to keep things on a maybe its magic basis. Otherwise he's pretty much a retard. LOL. Smile
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Mithrandir,

That's great that you're just doing it for fun. However, doing it for money AND fun is great too! Someone tipped me a ten lately, and I took it as a big compliment!

I DO agree that asking for money in a small group can be awkward, but then also small groups usually don't tip much. Get a big group, and remember the rule of halves. Half will leave, half will stay, half will have no small change, half won't want to pay, and your total hat will be a half dollar.
Smile Smile

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Appealing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL