The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory effects (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2292 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Always interesting to see the level to which people ignore the actual OPs question.
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I think he got several excellent suggestions... in fact the least helpful comment was yours Smile

//Dan
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9529 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
More typical magician's thinking throughout this post. Why not make the effort to actually learn memory techniques and be the real thing rather than just fake memory tricks passed as memory? Always looking for the trick or shortcut, but that is no surpise here lately.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
More typical magician's thinking throughout this post. Why not make the effort to actually learn memory techniques and be the real thing rather than just fake memory tricks passed as memory? Always looking for the trick or shortcut, but that is no surpise here lately.

I posit that taking shortcuts to learn astounding memory-fakes results in a completely different kind of show/presentation than actual memory-techniques.
Comparing Apples and Orangutans.

David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1768 Posts

Profile of David Numen
The thing is a lot of pseudo memory routines are structured to be entertaining. Certainly a lousy performer will still be lousy but if they do something entertaining then the audience hasn't suffered quite as much as if a lousy performer just showed off that they can memorise stuff.

Of course, anyone wanting to appear "real" will hide the whole notion of memorising stuff and use it as a secret weapon.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, David Numen wrote:
The thing is a lot of pseudo memory routines are structured to be entertaining. Certainly a lousy performer will still be lousy but if they do something entertaining then the audience hasn't suffered quite as much as if a lousy performer just showed off that they can memorise stuff.

Agreed.
Real memory is difficult (not impossible!) to pace and still be entertaining.
I can memorize a shuffled-deck in 10 seconds and name a taken/missing card in another 10 seconds. It would be excruciatingly-boring if it took me 5 minutes.

Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9529 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Why do so many instantly go to a deck of cards when thinking of memory demonstrations. There are soooo many other ways and things to memorize and do demonstrations with that are much more interesting, entertaining, and personal than cards. Again, magicians thinking, not from the audience's perspectives for whom you are entertaining.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Why do so many instantly go to a deck of cards when thinking of memory demonstrations. There are soooo many other ways and things to memorize and do demonstrations with that are much more interesting, entertaining, and personal than cards. Again, magicians thinking, not from the audience's perspectives for whom you are entertaining.

Magicians already have a deck in hand.

Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9529 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I get that, but that doesn't change the audience's perceptions and interest. if anything it would make them think trick rather than actual memory.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1768 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I think enough magazine tv shows across the world have had genuine memory champions showing their prowess with a shuffled deck of cards for audiences to find it an acceptable item to memorise. So long as the performer hasn't done 15 minutes of Ace assemblies beforehand I don't think there's any issue at all with memorising a deck of cards.

A guy called Nick Mohammed portraying a character called Mr Swallow on a British show (8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown) did a faux mem-deck demonstration and everyone was amazed. Personally, I think there's far more entertaining things you can do with a memdeck than show you've memorised the deck but it worked and the celebrity panellists wee clearly amazed.
corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Many thanks everyone, lots of ideas to take away.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I close my performance my thanking everybody in the audience by their first name. This fascinates them how I could remember everybody’s name after I only met them less than an hour ago. Like Mindoro said above, learn REAL memory systems. I learned my closer from Harry Lorayne’s books Super Power Memory, and Remembering People. It really is like having a super power.
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
Mnemonic Major System is a good place to start.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory effects (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL