The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Strong Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
297 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Does Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic provide actual instruction on misdirecting?
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1789 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I don't know if you have seen this review on Strong Magic
https://youtu.be/tAAm16qC30A
There is much more in it than misdirection.

If you are seeking a book on misdirection alone
https://doceason.com/product/leading-with-your-head/

I do hope others also chime in on this thread. I do know there are some other good books on misdirection but at the moment, I can't think of them.
Topper2
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Magic by Misdirection by Dariel Fitzkee is only one I can think of which is purely misdirection. It's a long time ago that I read it but I remember thinking it was very useful at the time. Generally though, most advice specific to misdirection is to be found in books on Showmanship and presentation, of which there are a number.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
297 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you. I know Strong Magic is not completely, or even mostly, about misdirection. I was wondering if it deals with the subject, even if just a chapter. In the end, I just ordered Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms.
Cheers,

Ted
Drylid
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Drylid
Id suggest tommy wonders book of wonder number 1 for misdirection information. Also Five points in magic for the body language aspect
Lloyd_SG
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Lloyd_SG
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, Drylid wrote:
Id suggest tommy wonders book of wonder number 1 for misdirection information. Also Five points in magic for the body language aspect

Highly recommend Tommy Wonder books his DVDs too.
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
62 Posts

Profile of Joeni
There is a chapter on "attention control", which deals directly with misdirection. But all over the book there are many hints on misdirection as well - at least for those who read it very closely.
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
146 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Misdirection is only a small part of the entire magic construct. Besides reading Strong Magic, I would also recommend tackling Ortiz' Designing Miracles.
If a magic trick is well constructed, most problems of misdirection solve themselves.

Ciao for now
Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
297 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thank you all. I am reading the section from Tommy Wonder's Book 1 as suggested. However, as a non-performing newbie I find it a bit too abstract, although I am intrigued by what he calls a "silent script." I think some concrete examples of each type of attention control would have been a big help. But I am not giving up. I think that the Nelms book should be a big help in this regard. Smile
Cheers,

Ted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Strong Magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL