The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleights you have given up on (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LuttinShaun
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of LuttinShaun
There are hundreds of sleights that I started working on, assuming they were easy, and then stopped after I realizing how hard they were/are. These are sleights that would be nice-to-have-if-they-were-easy-ish, but that aren't important enough to me really to put in the effort.

* LePaul Spread Flourish
* One-Handed Bottom Palm (from Stars of Magic)
* Truffle Shuffle
* Tabled Faro Shuffle
* One-Handed Faro Shuffle
* That Card Spin that People Do On Their Finger Tip
* The Boomerang Card (consistently)
* Card Throwing (accurately, to chop a banana)
* The Erdnase Pass (you know the one)
* The One-Handed Bottom Deal (from Erdnase)
* The Pressure Fan
* The Curry Turnover
* The Cobra Cut
* Back Palming
* Riffle Stacking more than two cards deep

There are other sleights that I never really focus on but that I live with day-to-day in a sort of casual practice. These sleights are good enough to perform for casual settings among friends but not strong enough yet for paid gigs (unless I have wonderful audience attention control). I will get these one day... they are really long-term projects.

* Side steal
* Classic pass
* Diagonal Palm Shift
Tortuga
View Profile
Veteran user
Ballwin, MO
379 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
One guy with dry hands had his coins re-milled so the edges were sharp and he could be certain of his grip.

Glenn Morphew has fine work on the One handed Top Palm. http://povmagician.com/product/131/

I gave up working on the replacement part of the one hand top palm sleight. Yes it's a corker. Settling for a two handed replacement strategy irks all the more after seeing Chad Nelson's clipshift. Tired of feeling irked... it's back to a real fight against poor technique drilled into habits. Back to dropping things, getting frustrated trying to make nice things... and throwing towels into the wash between leanings.

Thanks for sharing the video. Definitely eye candy.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
626 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I have gotten up to about 80% success rate when practicing the One Handed Top Palm, but when performing I always chicken out and do a two-hander.

I spent quite a bit of time trying the side steal, and then realized "Why do I need this? What does this accomplish that another control wouldn't do equally well?" I had no good answer to this question, and so I abandoned it.

I consoled myself with this thought from Harry Lorayne, who said something to the effect that with just a decent DL, a palm, and some convincing control you could do miracles.

But I am still (occasionally) practicing the Curry turnover, because that one could actually be a good tool someday....
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Sleights I have given up on:

Classic Pass
Clip Shift
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Sadly, all "touch" sleights for medical reasons. This includes all false deals as well as the Glide. No sensitivity in fingertips.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Foolsnobody, that *is* sad. I'm curious: are there sleights that you can still do? I'm not sure what a non-touch sleight would mean.
Topper2
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2019, jaschris wrote:

Classic Pass
Clip Shift

When it comes to sleights that cause problems I always like to recall Ganson's book on Malini where he writes that Malini had such podgy little hands that it was impossible for him to palm a regular size card without the edges of the card poking out visibly, yet he did that sleight over and over without ever being detected. How? by very good misdirection, so the spectators were never looking at his hand at the critical moment.

The classic pass is so universally useful that it's well worth learning it and even if you can only do it sub-optimally you just need to divert attention away from your hands during execution. After a while your ability improves greatly as you execute the sleight so you will do it reasonably well sooner than you think.

So if you lay some cards on the table and say: "I don't know if you've noticed but one of the Queens is left handed whilst the others are right handed....." The audience look down at the cards as you direct them, you perform the pass, they don't notice, job done!

Misdirection may not help you to throw a card and slice a banana but that's hardly an important sleight is it!
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1167 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, salmononius2 wrote:
I can't for the life of me get the one handed riffle shuffle down. I can manage to separate the pack one handed, they look like they're moving I the right direction, but I just can't get them to weave into each other.

Are you doing this with the deck face up?
I find it to be much easier this way.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Hotshot Cut. The card just flops out. Been trying to get this move down since 2007.... lol never learned it.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
362 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Wow. For once I came up with a good topic.

I just found another one in a David Regal trick. "Dribble 5 cards from the bottom of the deck one by one to the table..(paraphrasing).

Life is just too short for that.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16964 Posts

Profile of joseph
Holding back 4 or 5 cards during
a riffle shuffle..too scary for me...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
362 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Joseph....Ortiz motivated me to learn that. I can go 4...he can probably go 12.

I found it was just practice.

I don't think it's worth the time, at least for me. Just an amateur.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Foolsnobody, that *is* sad. I'm curious: are there sleights that you can still do? I'm not sure what a non-touch sleight would mean.

Yes there are. I haven't really inventoried them, I should. I'm on sabbatical. If I use SortKwik or Chamberlain's Golden Touch I can do some things. For example, if I get a break somehow I can do a fake pushoff from the upper left corner, actually pivoting the card on the ball of the left thumb until it turns face up, then flipping it over catching it in the Altman trap if I want to show it twice. Or sometimes do a hit double lift or a fake hit double lift when I have surreptitiously got a two card break; then I just flip it into the Altman trap so it's easy to flip back down.
I can still do a stripout shuffle, but sometimes the cards will bind so it's not foolproof.
I do some passes but I don't know how good they are because I don't have a magician friend who can watch me from various angles and I never got the hang of a video recorder. I can do a "fair" top change. I can palm a card using either Vernon's "topping the deck" or Altman's "double undercut palm." I guess there are a few more, but none of them are sure-fire.
By "non-touch" I mean sleights that require fingertip sensitivity. So both bottom and second deals, for example, require a certain "touch" or "feel" or tactile sensitivity I no longer have. Oddly enough, I've never been confident in my glide...it's hard for me to get one card and know it's one card. And if I try to do a side steal half the cards above the peeked card come along for the ride.

Now that I think about it, I could probably put a set or two together. Watching the instant download of Fay Presto on Penguin rekindled my love of magic. You need balls to do a top change no matter what gender you are!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3225 Posts

Profile of warren
The top change and the side steal as more often than not I can never get just the selection to move out on it's own, lucky enough though there are plenty of other methods that allow me to achieve what I need.
Topper2
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, warren wrote:
The top change.....

The A.N. top change described in Anthony Norman's 'Basic Card Technique' is far superior to the traditional method, you get so much cover from the fingers of the hand holding the card that even if the audience do glance at your hand during execution (and with good misdirection they shouldn't be looking there anyway!) they won't see anything they shouldn't.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
The Ultramove. I can do it but not consistently.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1435 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Foolsnnobody: I can see where it would be hard to give up sleights that used to be automatic for you. On the other hand, there are *so* many beautiful tricks that don't require difficult sleights. It's interesting that you can do a hit double lift; I, at least, find that fingertip sensitivity is the key to that one.

I don't know whether I'm unusual in this respect, but I find that every time I have to give something up, something else arises that gives me equal satisfaction. Because of sciatica I haven't been able to ride my bicycle for years. I do miss it, but I get equal pleasure, though of a different kind, out of the piano lessons I'm taking.

Best of luck!

Bob
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
362 Posts

Profile of kShepher
The Ultramove, ha. That's a gift. Kudos to those that can do it.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Most XCM, was cool to learn 10+ years ago but now as I'm hitting my mid 30's there's better things to do with my time.
jaschris
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of jaschris
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2019, Topper2 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2019, jaschris wrote:

Classic Pass
Clip Shift

When it comes to sleights that cause problems I always like to recall Ganson's book on Malini where he writes that Malini had such podgy little hands that it was impossible for him to palm a regular size card without the edges of the card poking out visibly, yet he did that sleight over and over without ever being detected. How? by very good misdirection, so the spectators were never looking at his hand at the critical moment.

The classic pass is so universally useful that it's well worth learning it and even if you can only do it sub-optimally you just need to divert attention away from your hands during execution. After a while your ability improves greatly as you execute the sleight so you will do it reasonably well sooner than you think.

So if you lay some cards on the table and say: "I don't know if you've noticed but one of the Queens is left handed whilst the others are right handed....." The audience look down at the cards as you direct them, you perform the pass, they don't notice, job done!

Misdirection may not help you to throw a card and slice a banana but that's hardly an important sleight is it!

Thanks Topper2 for the encouragement. I use the Hermann Pass, Midnight Shift and Spread Pass. There is no doubt the Classic Pass in particular needs misdirection. Interesting to read what people have given up on. A difficult flourishy move I did not give up on is the Hot Shot Cut. I would return to it for a bit every year for several years without success. Finally, got it down this year. I have noticed that a lot of difficult moves require "in person" teaching because some times the books or DVDs just won't get you there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleights you have given up on (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL