The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 74th ANNIVERSARY OF MY FIRST SCHOOL SHOW-Oct, 24, 2019 (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yesterday was a special day for me! I was 13, almost 14, I booked the local Jr. High School, on a 50/50 basis, on October 24,1945. I made $24 in a 40 minute show. (Many MEN were working all week for about $25!) THAT day, I became a part time pro!

During my high school years, my pals were pushing lawn mowers, or sacking groceries, for 50 cents an hour. I was getting as much as $20 for a 30 minute show
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
111 Posts

Profile of jkr
That’s amazing, thanks for sharing!

That was a lot of money back then. What did you do with all that cash?

Jacob
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Jacob!

Most of it was banked, but, I did order a Breakaway Fan from Percy Abbott ($1.75--and Percy paid the postage!!!)

Eventually, it became a big part in a comedy wand, and, fan routine. It always got BIG LAUGHS, AND APPLAUSE, and on two occasions, it got a standing ovation in high schools!

I wrote up that routine in my book (DICK OSLUND -- ROAD SCHOLAR). (i sure got my money's worth for that fan!
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
111 Posts

Profile of jkr
Dick, thanks for sharing that! That’s probably the best $1.75you ever spent.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Dick,

What an amazing story. And what an accomplishment you have made to the world of magic.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I just saw this Dick, congratulations on such a great accomplishment and a long, treasured career. You are an inspiration to all of us.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2019, jkr wrote:
Dick, thanks for sharing that! That’s probably the best $1.75you ever spent.

Yup! it was "only a prop" but it helped me learn a lot about comedy. especially comedy with audience helpers!

I have received many standing ovations, but, those two, in HIGH SCHOOLS, I will never forget!

I invested another dollar with Percy Abbott, in 1950, at the IBM/SAM convention. His PERPETUAL BALL proved so funny, that I dropped the multiplying balls from the act! I wrote up that, also, in my book.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of Russo
The above reminds me -at 14 years old, 1951+ without a Dad, Mom took great care of my sister and me - The Lord started my Puppet=Magic=Ventriloquism Gifts, to help support my family as welfare was only $150. a month for EVERYTHING. The Welfare Lady said 'you don't do entertainment for a Living'- I didn't- Thus, as an adult, Jobs did give me' Vacation pay-retirement pay and Health benefits - which If I had to pay myself -oh-wow $$$$$. Was also blessed that most Jobs let me have time off for a performance. Also had a Wonderful Wife helping me- in fact I met her by Entertaining, at Hospital, we joke , that even though we Married Virgin - that we met in bed(that is, she was). What a Wonderful Magic Life. Blessings to all. Ralph(russo) Rousseau
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2019, Rodney Palmer wrote:
Dick,

What an amazing story. And what an accomplishment you have made to the world of magic.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney

Hi Rodney!

Thanks. too, for your thoughtful comments! Except for the Navy ('51-'55) I never had a real job!

Frances Marshall (Magic Inc,) once told me that "school magicians were keeping magic alive, as many youngsters might never see a magician except for school assembly magicians.

I could never repay the debt that I owe to my mentors, as a youth, STUART ROSS, C, THOMAS MAGRUM,ROY SHRIMLPLIN,ROY MAYER, AND LORING CAMPBELL. Their example, encouragement, and counseling, were a GREAT HELP!!!
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
299 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Happy anniversary...and keep those pearls of wisdom/experience coming!
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
I just saw this Dick, congratulations on such a great accomplishment and a long, treasured career. You are an inspiration to all of us.

Hi Mindpro! Thank you for the congratulations!! It has been a wonderfilled life! I just hope that I'm able to celebrate 75 years in 2020.

I'm not performing much, now, but, keep busy mentoring.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That is great Dick, and mentoring can be just as fulfilling sharing our skills, knowledge, and experience with others to help them achieve the same success, enjoyment and rewards that we have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 74th ANNIVERSARY OF MY FIRST SCHOOL SHOW-Oct, 24, 2019 (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL