The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Personal library questions (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
EvilClown
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA
69 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
I am of the same mind, Boboswitch. If I bought the item new and made the contract, I feel similarly. I never share my Chavez material for that reason. But I figure if it is in the open collection at the Magic Castle or at Conjuring Arts where anyone with access (and at the Castle it's a few thousand people), it is fair game.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
It was a issue for me when I started more than 20 years ago. But as now almost everything is so easy to purchase or to have without paying (piracy), I think it should not be an issue anymore.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
2500 is a very nice collection !

Sometimes I’m questioning myself about the energy and money I spent for all those books (I have pretty small incomes) because with around three hundred of well chosen titles, you have everything you need to become the best magician in the world…
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I don't think even 300 would be remotely necessary. 10-20 well chosen titles (mix of physical skills and theatrical/philosophical titles), with some creativity, quality direction, and lots of stage time and anyone would rise to the top I think.

That is, of course, not going to stop me from continuing to build my library well beyond that number.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
I agree with both of you Rachmaninov and WitchDocChris. I will never, ever get through all of those books. It is a sickness that I have. I also own most of Todd Lassen's coin gaffs and collect Magic Wagon, Magiro, Pohle, Tenyo. Part of me, however, condones my "sickness" as I love to sit down with incredibly clever stuff such as my Satori collection and marvel at his genius. My wife has already commented to me that when I am no longer around, she is having a yard sale -- "Every book is $1, 6 books for $5."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Hate to see you go BOBO, but please have your wife contact me ..... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I was thinking the same DocChris about the number 20 sufficient books a few years ago, but now no, I would say around a few hundreds if you do most of the work by yourself. If you have a team around you for staging, lighting, sound…I agree that just a few selected books is all what you need.
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
I do have 3135 books, Lecturenotes and volumes of magazines, included. E-books not included. I am 69 and have thought about selling some of them but find it hard to part with them. Of course I haven't read all of them (during my active years I was too busy making a living with performing magic) but it is wonderful to have access everyday to my lybrary. Upon reading a reference chances are high that I can look it up. So I do enjoy that I can read everyday a book that has new content for me.
JoeLyons
View Profile
New user
Although I've lurked here for years, i only have
24 Posts

Profile of JoeLyons
I use CLZ books app and it has all the tools I need(photos, description, details, plot,etc.). I, too, have reached an age where I will never finish reading them all. Cannot help but to buy new ones though. Smile
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
It has been only since 2 years that I’m reading faster than I’m purchasing books. Maybe I get wiser as I get older…
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Personal library questions (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL