The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ All Alone - by David Regal and ID 360 - The 360 degrees Invisible Deck (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1757 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2019, jerdunn wrote:
Both these look excellent.

David Regal's effect appears to be an advance over his original Alone, but it's hard to tell what's new. (The original effect was strong by itself, but required some pocket space.)

ID 360 looks flawless. The cleanliness factor is stunning. My only hesitation (besides the $49 price tag) is that Double Decker thin cards require delicate handling. Can someone with any Double Decker effect comment on this aspect in general?

Cheers,
Jerry "Soon to Be $49 Lighter?" Dunn

I personally find that thin cards and RnS do not go well together. You need to have fingertips like sandpaper. YMMV.
I personally prefer the original version.
I purchased the DD Brainwave but couldnít get on with it.
And as for the price. NFW.

Have to agree another "Improvement" that did not need any improvement

only thing this is going to improve is Card Shark's Bank Balance

Orignal that has worked well for years cost $10 this new "Improvement" $49 is this 5 x Better effect to the lay person

I think not !
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Compromise:

Adding something only magicians will care about
Taking away the ability for the spectator to look at the card, touch the card, or even look at front and back of the same card.

Nonsense. If you are buying into this you are very much caught in the hype train of this type of effect.
cardistry master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
I agree with the points people are making about ID360 it could work well for some people but it just seems like fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed or to fool magicians at conventions, but I think all alone is something that could play better than the standard invisible deck because of the blank card ending.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It would never fool me at a convention or otherwise . The best IDs you will ever make you will make yourself Gaz 🙂
cardistry master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
I think if you had a knowledge of double deckers you won't be fooled but all I was saying was it is intended to fix a problem that doesn't exist for magicians who worry about overproving things
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I have probably 30 double decker decks , but donít use them for ID . However I still bought there d decker Bwave type deck but found it separated far too easily and donít like the shiny finish to the face of them . Yes why 30 but I use them for other effects which I do like .
I prefer the 78 card Phil deck principle if I am being honest Gaz 🙂
bobrus
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bobrus
Any help appreciated......I bought All Alone, but I struggle to split them due to small hands, any tips gratefully received.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4339 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2019, bobrus wrote:
Any help appreciated......I bought All Alone, but I struggle to split them due to small hands, any tips gratefully received.

Iím not sure your hand size is the reason, this deck is just extra tough to separate pairs. Christian says something in the instruction video that the cards are printed ďroughedĒ. Iíve never heard of that process before. In any case itís certainly not standard roughing fluid and doesnít appear to be like any substance I've ever used.

I got this as part of a special that David Regal had recently on a trio of effects and this was included.

Shame they couldnít have just treated the center third of the cards. With the entire surface of the card roughed, anyone with dry hands such as myself are going to have a heck of a time. Be curious to hear from Card Shark if there is anything that can be done to remove or lessen the friction?
bobrus
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bobrus
Thanks for the reply, videoman. Yes, I don't think small hands are the whole problem, I am ok with ID and Brainwave, it's just All Alone I am struggling with to separate. It would be good to hear from others who have had this problem and solved it!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I usually use a product called working hands when I gig magic .
Itís great for gripping the cards when you have dry hands and a tiny little bit lasts all night Gaz 🙂
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
760 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Hi Guys -

No one has dryer hands than me. When I moved to the west coast everything went to hell. My hands are so dry I can put a coin on a close-up mat, place the heel of my hand down on the coin, and be unable to slide the coin because there's MORE FRICTION BETWEEN THE COIN AND THE MAT THAN THE COIN AND MY HAND. Seriously?

At any rate I understand the issue. Yes, I must use lotion (or dampen my hands) to perform with roughed decks... or to perform at all. The real secret with roughed decks is two-fold. 1) Have moist, or at least not bone dry hands; and 2) Use an extremely LIGHT touch when splitting pairs. That's counter-intuitive as we like to use more force when we meet with resistance, but in this case the lightest touch is required. Pressing harder makes them adhere more!

I hope this helps!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4339 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thank you for your reply David. Itís always nice to hear that a creator understands the issue. You are right on with your advice of using a very light touch, as I work with the deck more I see improvement being made although I will probably need to use some lotion to really make it surefire as you said you do as well.

Now let me talk about the effect itself. Iíve been a huge fan of the Alone Deck since I first became aware of it many years ago. In fact, I like it so much that I own the original version not only in both black cards and red cards, but in black & red with red backs and also black and red with blue backs. A couple of these I had custom made as I could not find them available anywhere. I even had a set made with red/blue backs because I wanted to use it as a finish to a routine where the specs card vanishes from a red backed deck and appears in a blue backed deck. One advantage of the custom made decks is that they could be subtly marked to make performing a bit easier. So safe to say I really liked Alone, and of it ainít broke, donít fix it, right?

I mention this as background because when I saw this new version I had some serious doubts about it initially. I didnít think I liked it and didnít see it as an improvement over the original, which I already thought was great. It seemed that David Regal (of whom I have the utmost respect) was trying to fix something that wasnít broken. Which surprised me because that seems out of character for him and against his nature, at least based on everything I have seen or read of him. Mostly I didnít like that you could not display the entire face of the card with the new version.

To be honest, I only bought All Alone because it came as part of a discounted trio of effects in which it was included and I wanted the other 2 items. But after playing with it a bit my feelings have changed about it. As much as I liked the original Alone I have to admit that I hadnít used it for a while because it had gradually been replaced with other newer things which happens to most all of us. But when I got it out again and ran through it I realized that I would almost never show the entire face of the card anyway because there is no need to. And because of the way the deck is constructed you cannot remove the card to show all around or even upjog the selection. Additionally, even though the original E process is very small, I enjoy the freedom and straightforwardness of simply being able to use ANY named card. Plus, it allows for more presentations or including it as part of another routine. The Phoenix markings are a nice improvement also, along with ability to use the one way back in various ways.

So in short, I have changed my opinion on this and now feel it is an improvement over the original which was already fantastic. Iím honestly surprised that this doesnít have a higher price tag. Kudos to David and Card-Shark!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
760 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Card-Shark put a lot of work and creativity into the deck, with nice ideas and touches throughout.
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
New user
USA
85 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Hey everyone!

I just reviewed All Alone. This is a really good deck!

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/9p6uybCxkxg

Hope this helps! Smile
Mr. E. Casey
View Profile
New user
Bay Area, California
64 Posts

Profile of Mr. E. Casey
I'm also having a difficult time separating the cards for All Alone. I have to completely lift all the cards above the named card AND barely touch the cards to get them to slowly separate, which isn't very practical. I've tried lotion, even though my hands are not particularly dry. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!
Loungedeluxe
View Profile
New user
Belgium
4 Posts

Profile of Loungedeluxe
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2019, Mr. E. Casey wrote:
I'm also having a difficult time separating the cards for All Alone. I have to completely lift all the cards above the named card AND barely touch the cards to get them to slowly separate, which isn't very practical. I've tried lotion, even though my hands are not particularly dry. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

I found it difficult too in the beginning but now I just moist the top of my 3 middle fingers (right hand) with a bit of saliva just before performing, and it helps greatly. Applying only a very light, delicate pressure on the cards is also necessary. I guess the move will improve with practice. On the other hand, the new roughing system is extremely performant and the cards do not separate at all when performing, which is a great addition I think. A compromise Smile
Louis Loriot | Magician & Mentalist | Brussels, Belgium | www.louisloriot.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4339 Posts

Profile of videoman
If your hands are the least bit dry you will definitely need some lotion, saliva, or some type of moisture in order to separate the pairs without suspicion.

But you are right about the upside being that you can have zero worry about any unwanted pairs separating.

Also, only time will tell, but the method used (possibly for the first time) seems like it should last as long as the cards themselves.
The perfect system may be if there is any way to apply this method to only a section of the card but that may not be feasible.
Kathon
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Kathon
[quote]On Nov 6, 2019, David French wrote:
One last comment, and again this is only my experience, I work mostly close up. I do the traditional method of "13".

I would like to know more about the traditional method of "13". Can someone point me to more about this topic?
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
292 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2020, Kathon wrote:

I would like to know more about the traditional method of "13". Can someone point me to more about this topic?

If you're familiar with the classic ID... think about how that works...
mpilkey
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mpilkey
I saw this demoed at magifest. I almost got one but didnít. Now, I wish I had
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ All Alone - by David Regal and ID 360 - The 360 degrees Invisible Deck (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL