The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Giant and Dwarf" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I just purchased the Giant and Dwarf at
a SAM auction.

I think it will have a great place in My Nearly Normal Fairy Tales Show.(in development)

Any one out there have any wisdom on sharing
this old, but new to me routine.

It is the one where the dwarf is put on top of the "castle". and the Giant is placed inside.

Shazam, the dwarf becomes taller and the GIANT shrinks to even smaller than the dwarf started out.

Thanks in advance.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Harris, - I would be pleased to give you the full routine. It is a Jack Hughes (England) trick that is now being re-marketed. "Now this is the story of Dinky the Dwarf. Who lived alone in a castle of course. He loved all the children though some he might tease; and if you want to see him just shout yes please. The castle is empty, no tables, no chairs. Last night at a party they sat on the stairs". - etc. etc. Give me an e-mail from our website. Update Nov. 2: I have already had enquiries about this routine and script. It is quite a lengthy task to reply - although I will honour my promise to Harris if he returns! The best reproduction of it I know of is at: http://www.coopermagic.co.uk (owner called Bill). I also know that many people are seeking out used SUPREME MAGIC props so while I am online can I recommend a visit to top award winning magician Derek Lever's http://www.taurusmagic.net - both are based in Lancashire, England close to the famous resort of Blackpool. I am not involved with either businesses.

Best Wishes - Tony.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Harris,

I just spent an hour going through my books and lecture Notes on the Giant and Dwarf. I know I read about a routine in one of my books and it was excellent, but darn if I could find it. It really made me want to buy the trick because of that routine.

If I come across it, I'll let you know.
Den
Dennis Michael
DRPEPPER
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of DRPEPPER
I want to let you all know, one dealer still has a lot of old hard-to-find Supreme Magic. It's at Ustmagic in Kansas City. They were one Supreme's biggest suppliers.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Re: U.S. Toys in Kansas City.

I live about 20 minutes away.

It is the largest floor space magic shop that I am aware of.

They have some interesting things in stock.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist and Nearly Normal Magician
http://www.nearlynormalmagic.com
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Richard Landry
View Profile
New user
Chatham, Illinois
18 Posts

Profile of Richard Landry
Harris,
B.J. Hickman has a great routine for this effect on his "The Magic of Reading" video.
Richard Smile
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Reviving Harris' old thread to see if anyone has any more information to follow up.

I have the old Louis Tannen Giant Dwarf, pretty much the same idea as the Cooper Giant and Dwarf, from what I can see.

At the time, I didn¡¯t like the dwarf¨Cgood giant-bad message, as it might have been seen to be belittling children who happened to be taller in stature. I developed a storyline to go along with the props, went something along the lines of the following:
There was this dwarf, you see, he was just a little fellow. And he lived in this here big, cold, empty castle in the middle of the woods. But he didn't mind too much, for he had a special friend that lived in the woods. Every day he'd climb onto the roof of the castle to wait for his special friend, the giant. Here he comes now. ¡°Hello giant, good to see you again!¡± And they'd spend their days together, sharing jokes and stories.

But still, they were a little sad. ¡°I wish I was bigger¡±, said the dwarf, ¡°so we could play ball together¡±. ¡°And I wish I was smaller¡±, exclaimed the giant, ¡°I've never even been inside your castle because I'm too big to fit through the door¡±. And with that, he got on his knees and he dug, and he dug. He dug a hole so deep that he was able to get unnnnder the castle and uuup through the floor.

When he got inside, he gave a shriek of delight, and he danced all the way out of the castle. ¡°Dear dwarf, your dream has come true. You've grown to be as big as the trees ¡­ and moooore!¡± Yes, the dwarf's wish had come true, he'd become even taller than his friend, the giant. ¡°Hey¡±, said the giant, ¡°if your wish could come true, then¡­¡± and with that, he ran into the castle to hide. But it was too late. He shrank, and he shrank, until he could shrink no more. He shrank until he could fit through the castle door.

¡°Dear friend¡±, said the giant, ¡°what shall we do? You're now much to big to live in your castle, your home.¡± The dwarf, he turned to face his old friend the giant, and he said, ¡°don't worry, it's now just the right size for you. You stay in the castle, and I'll live in the woods. And I'll come by every day, just like you used to do.¡±

There was this giant, you see, he was just a little fellow. And he lived here in this here big, cold, empty castle ¡­.
Didn't really work for me, as the story didn't fit the props. Or rather, the props didn't fit the story. The giant had this menacing look about him, and he always carried this mean-looking club. I was going to put a sticker over his face and draw in a more neutral expression, but it just didn't look right. So I put it away, to await that rainy day when I had nothing better to do.

Well, that rainy day never came, but I think it's time for The Giant and the Dwarf to come out of the closet ... literally. I was thinking of maybe developing a story to deal with bullying, a hot issue in schools right now. Or maybe an Elf and Santa bit, to parallel the new movie that's coming out.

Would love to hear from anybody else that has an idea that they'd like to share. A workable routine, or just a funny bit. Anything to keep our old friends out of that dark, cold, musty closet. You wouldn't want that on your conscience, would you?
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
959 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Perfect routine for a school show,
anti-bullying routine works a treat.
Please only use this idea if You want to be rebooked
year after year.
Good luck.
Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Say No and go Tell on the Bully Programs might be a new hot school assembly program.
Dennis Michael
Roodsnavel
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
40 Posts

Profile of Roodsnavel
Quote:
On 2002-11-01 07:59, aceparties wrote:
Harris, - I would be pleased to give you the full routine. It is a Jack Hughes (England) trick that is now being re-marketed. "Now this is the story of Dinky the Dwarf. Who lived alone in a castle of course. He loved all the children though some he might tease; and if you want to see him just shout yes please. The castle is empty, no tables, no chairs. Last night at a party they sat on the stairs". - etc. etc. Give me an e-mail from our website.

hello Tony can you please send me the story, I purchased a giant dwarf trick I hop you will?
Thanks!
Greetings from Holland

Harry

God Bless You All!!!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Perfect routine for a school show,
anti-bullying routine works a treat.

HI,
Sorry but I cannot believe that anyone would even consider performing such an effect for any child old enough to be in school!

when I read on other threads about parents talking during shows and out of control kids I can see why. come on we are not back in the fifties. I know I will get flack over this but I just had to air my feelings
Phillip
Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Now this is the story of DINKY THE DWARF, who lives alone in a castle of course; he loves all the children though some he may tease, if YOU want to see him just shout YES PLEASE.

The castle is empty, no tables, no chairs. Last night at a party they sat on the stairs. A wizard who'd helped with the fun quite a lot, had seen our little dwarf Dinky sit on the rooftop.

Now Dinky he loves the castle and grounds, - he'd sit up there for hours just looking around. When viewing one day a big GIANT he espied! WON'T SOMEBODY HELP ME I'M FRIGHTENED he cried!!

Now the big burly giant as wide as a tub, was gnashing his teeth and waving a club! Saying words like "fee, fe, fo, fum,- I smell the blood of an Englishman".

When the wizard saw Dinky sitting up there, he cast a strange spell which the giant couldn't share. Cos' he grew bigger and stronger, and ever so TALL! - I'm glad he stopped growing in case he might fall!

When the Giant saw this he got nervous and then, he ran in the castle but came out again. Upon second thoughts when he saw the big Dwarf yonder, he thought he'd go inside and get bigger and stronger.

But when he went back it may seem strange to say, -the spell began working the other way! - and Dinky was safe and sound after all, cos' that great burly giant had grown ever so SMALL!!

(Phew, best wishes, Tony)

Nice post Phillip Phillip - but some of us in our outdated shows actually manage to make a HUGE success out of this! All down to acting and phrasing ability . . .
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2099 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think it was made in the late 70's philip philip
matt
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I think it was made in the late 70's philip philip
matt

Hi,
Your right matt, I did know the details of the effect I have the 3 Jack Hughes books. they still produce similar type effects now..but it does not mean they are good for todays audiences

Phillip
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
959 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Gees Your a hard man to please Phil.

I only use this trick for the theme show
for the message value.
Because the message is more important than
the magic in a School Show.
I bet that last statement raises a few
eyebrowes.
But heathly debate is a good thing.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I saw the Giant and Dwarf Routine in BJ Hickman's Library (Reading) VHS tape.
Dennis Michael
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
At the very first live magic show I ever saw, must have been back in 66 or 67, the magician did this trick. I must have been eight or nine years old and thought it was the stupidest thing I ever saw.
I've never seen anyone else perform it again in all these years and have been dying to see it again to see if my inital reaction as a child was correct.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2099 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Ha, funny story. I think that's were some magicians go wrong. If you can I always try to ask the kids what they like what they don't like especially if I put new things in the show.
Matt
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Hey phillip, I think this routine would work fine for the k-3 grade audience, when I perform my reading program, I talk about books and that age group gets most excited about arthur! I think anything above 3rd grade won't work.......also it was mentioned by Waynenz he uses it for the message only........well if you start doing somehting the audience sees as "babyish" they are not going to pay attention and unfortunatly the message isn't going to get across, not putting any one down here but when doing school shows there is a huge leap from3rd to 4th grade and your show needs to be appropriate or they will eat you up!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
What age is 3rd grade??
phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Giant and Dwarf" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL