The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How To Read Minds by Peter Turner (163 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18492 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Welcome, our Saviour, how we have survived without you I don't know...
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1258 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
There are plenty of lonely, socially awkward people out there that are looking for something to give them confidence and power and this type of advertising is aimed directly at them.

LL, I see your point and get your concern. If you look at the marketing from the perspective of targeting lonely, socially awkward people, it may seem opportunistic.

I see it from a different perspective. When I was 15 or 16 years old, I was very socially awkward. I struggled badly starting and maintaining conversations. Because of this, I often avoided social situations. I started carrying two magic tricks with me. These two tricks were simple tools that allowed me to break through my awkwardness and connect with people. Even if only for a minute or two. The next time I would see a person I'd performed a trick for in the hall, they would smile and say hi.

Eventually I became interested in mentalism, and performing simple mind reading effects has been a wonderful way for me to connect with others, start conversations, and meet new people.

When I read the ad copy for this product, it brought me back to when I was young, wanting to be more connected with others. To some extent, magic and then mentalism have done that for me. At least as a way to break the ice and make a connection with another human being. It's not the only way. And it's not a cure all for a lonely, awkward person. But it definitely is a tool that can be useful and helpful in connecting with other people.

That is a beautiful post. And a valid argument as well. Many ways to look at this. Very interesting.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are plenty of lonely, socially awkward people out there that are looking for something to give them confidence and power and this type of advertising is aimed directly at them.

LL, I see your point and get your concern. If you look at the marketing from the perspective of targeting lonely, socially awkward people, it may seem opportunistic.

I see it from a different perspective. When I was 15 or 16 years old, I was very socially awkward. I struggled badly starting and maintaining conversations. Because of this, I often avoided social situations. I started carrying two magic tricks with me. These two tricks were simple tools that allowed me to break through my awkwardness and connect with people. Even if only for a minute or two. The next time I would see a person I'd performed a trick for in the hall, they would smile and say hi.

Eventually I became interested in mentalism, and performing simple mind reading effects has been a wonderful way for me to connect with others, start conversations, and meet new people.

When I read the ad copy for this product, it brought me back to when I was young, wanting to be more connected with others. To some extent, magic and then mentalism have done that for me. At least as a way to break the ice and make a connection with another human being. It's not the only way. And it's not a cure all for a lonely, awkward person. But it definitely is a tool that can be useful and helpful in connecting with other people.

That is a beautiful post. And a valid argument as well. Many ways to look at this. Very interesting.

Agreed. I enjoyed reading it.

- G
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Let’s be honest. People enjoy being lifted out of their normal lives and routines and this set I am sure helps people to do so. I have had countless free drinks and a number of free meals that began with a friendly conversation and then progressed to a napkin and pen (and a personality reading), sometimes more.

ellusionist’s marketing strategy has always been to endear itself to younger enthusiasts. They got a treasure of a guy to share his thoughts on beginners mentalism and my bet is that he will show it proper respect. No one can doubt Peter’s love of mentalism. Eventually, many of these purchasers may learn that they are interesting people and will not need to always “do something” to be an intriguing person. As a result they can learn to interact with people in the real world. Let’s face it, this world needs bridges off of screen island

Also, many of these people may form a deeper respect for the genre of mentalism and become students themselves. Wonders may never cease.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
"this world needs bridges off of screen island" - Waters

Love that line.
Hebegeebe
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Hebegeebe
Well this is now on the top of my Christmas list... But the advertising could have been easier then a fancy 7 minute video. Just "Peter Turner will teach you stuff, buy here".
My point is that all this questioning about guarantees and props is not as important as the person behind the project. Not trying to put anyone down because I know for some that is important... but for me it's the person behind the project, release, book, lecture etc..
With the reputation of Mr. Turner, this is a hard project to pass up if you are a student of magic and mentalsim.
When I first saw the kickstarter price I misread and thought it said, $2000.00 and I thought to myself, shoot... this will take a while to save up for. Then I realized it was $99.... you have my vote.

Much respect.

X
mantel
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, Ray Haining wrote:
Does anyone on this thread eat Oreos? Ever look at the picture of the Oreo on the package? It is not an accurate depiction of what is inside. Examples abound. Eggos? Nice, fluffy waffles shown on the outside. Inside, not so much.

Does the fact that Oreos engage in deceptive advertising prevent anyone from buying and eating them?

At least boxes of Oreos and Eggos have disclaimers on them like “enlarged to show detail” and “serving suggestion” to let consumers know what’s in the box differs from the picture. Ellusionist to my knowledge has never given their customers that courtesy.

Quote:
It's ironic that magicians, who practice the most deceptive and dishonest of art forms, should find exaggerated advertising claims offensive.

Just because magicians entertain audiences by being deceptive and dishonest doesn’t mean they should accept exaggerated advertising claims. They should report them to the proper authorities. As the false advertising laws apply to all companies even magic ones.

Quote:
Peter's product, for all the misleading advertising, is no doubt a good one simply because of who (Peter Turner) is offering it.

It’s not Peter’s product. Peter Turner isn’t the one offering it, he’s just the one doing the “teaching”.

Quote:
On Feb 8, 2013, Danny Kazam wrote:
Ellusionist has used deceptive and misleading advertising in the past, so I am not surprised to see Ellusionist doing it again.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
I've put together an FAQ section for the most asked questions.

You can find it here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fir......ner/faqs
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Everything Peter Turner creates and sells is made for Peter . You need to have his skills to be able to perform his effects. From all the books with exclusive releases of hundreds of dollars value not a single effect I have been able to perform.

He is very creative and his effects are very impressive but unfortunately only he can perform them . They are not suitable for average mentalism/magician.

After spending a lot of money on his effects I realized it was more hipe than a real good practical effect.

Joaquin
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Ever tried Midas Touch? It’s awesome.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7784 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Ever tried Midas Touch? It’s awesome.

Prefer the song, and it’s cheaper.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

That video is as good as it gets. It even includes a Simmons hexagonal drumkit. I would have to agree that it beats Pete’s version. But then again, it beats every piece of mentalism for entertainment value, based on outfits and choreography.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1742 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, mantel wrote:

Quote:
It's ironic that magicians, who practice the most deceptive and dishonest of art forms, should find exaggerated advertising claims offensive.

Just because magicians entertain audiences by being deceptive and dishonest doesn’t mean they should accept exaggerated advertising claims. They should report them to the proper authorities. As the false advertising laws apply to all companies even magic ones.

I knew somebody would bring up laws against false advertising. When was the last time you heard of somebody being prosecuted for false advertising? And magic products? They are never sold using false advertising, right? Incidentally, many states and cities have laws (also unenforced) against fake psychics. How does that sit with you?

Quote:
Quote:
Peter's product, for all the misleading advertising, is no doubt a good one simply because of who (Peter Turner) is offering it.

It’s not Peter’s product. Peter Turner isn’t the one offering it, he’s just the one doing the “teaching”.

Pedantry will get you nowhere.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Nor will your tone of voice. Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1742 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Joaquin wrote:
Everything Peter Turner creates and sells is made for Peter . You need to have his skills to be able to perform his effects. From all the books with exclusive releases of hundreds of dollars value not a single effect I have been able to perform.

He is very creative and his effects are very impressive but unfortunately only he can perform them . They are not suitable for average mentalism/magician.

After spending a lot of money on his effects I realized it was more hipe than a real good practical effect.

Joaquin

This is my last statement on this.

What you get from Peter Turner is an approach to mentalism. The only way to communicate a particular approach to anything is to use examples--in this case, effects. If you actually use any of the effects he offers, that's great, but not necessary to get something of value from this. Just by studying his effects, the subtleties involved, the patter, etc., you will, I believe, be able to elevate any mentalism you may already do. If you are a beginner, you will be set on the right path.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1244 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I just backed the one that Iain de-backed. Now the balance is restored, and it is like getting one for FREE!! (Rght..?) Smile

This may be for "beginners" but it looks like a lot of fun, and Peter Turner will be teaching. How often do you get Pete teaching you 7 hours of stuff for less than $100, and we also get a bunch of Xmas surprises in the box! Weeee!!

Seth
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Seth speaks wrote:
I just backed the one that Iain de-backed. Now the balance is restored, and it is like getting one for FREE!! (Rght..?) Smile

This may be for "beginners" but it looks like a lot of fun, and Peter Turner will be teaching. How often do you get Pete teaching you 7 hours of stuff for less than $100, and we also get a bunch of Xmas surprises in the box! Weeee!!

Seth

Exactly. 7 hours for $99.... now that we think about it. The price is too LOW.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. I enjoyed reading it.

- G

Thank you Unmasked and G.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3387 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I totally hear you Stunninger, and I absolutely agree and encourage younger people who might need a little help connecting with people to learn some magic as an icebreaker.

You guys all know that I'm typically not very negative about stuff around here, even when I don't like something I try and be tactful and constructive.

The advertising on this one just bugs me though.

Yes, this is totally standard for Ellusionist, and maybe the issue is that their style seems kinda antithetical to Peter Turner's usual low key approach.

Just feels like back in the 80s and 90s when a cool underground band gets signed by a major label and starts doing car commercials or something...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
casco1
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of casco1
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Ray Haining wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Joaquin wrote:

Joaquin

This is my last statement on this.

What you get from Peter Turner is an approach to mentalism. The only way to communicate a particular approach to anything is to use examples--in this case, effects. If you actually use any of the effects he offers, that's great, but not necessary to get something of value from this. Just by studying his effects, the subtleties involved, the patter, etc., you will, I believe, be able to elevate any mentalism you may already do. If you are a beginner, you will be set on the right path.

Personally, Peter’s projects gave me more doable effects than everything else that I bought.
Devil in disguise 2 for example is an amazing collection of effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How To Read Minds by Peter Turner (163 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL