The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How To Read Minds by Peter Turner (163 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Troof
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Troof
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Ray Haining wrote:

I knew somebody would bring up laws against false advertising. When was the last time you heard of somebody being prosecuted for false advertising?

False/Misleading Advertising Prosecutions

Uber - $20m fine
Active Yoghurt - $45m fine
Draft Kings - $6m
Fan Kings - $6m
Volkswagen - $15 Billion
Red Bull - $13m
New Balance - $2.3m
Luminosoty - $2m
Kellogs - $5m
Airbourne - $23.3m
Walmart $66k
Kellogs again, $4m
Extenze - $6m

etc etc etc -

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/false-ad......=US&IR=T

Happens all the time, man.

But people need to actually lodge a complaint with the correct body, not just whine about it on a forum.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1251 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks for that tip. I'm suing E for $ 16 billion because they caused this thread and I feel I've spent too much time reading all this. Anyone wants to join?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3263 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Seth speaks wrote:
I just backed the one that Iain de-backed. Now the balance is restored, and it is like getting one for FREE!! (Rght..?) Smile

This may be for "beginners" but it looks like a lot of fun, and Peter Turner will be teaching. How often do you get Pete teaching you 7 hours of stuff for less than $100, and we also get a bunch of Xmas surprises in the box! Weeee!!

Seth

In the Ruskin Hotel at the Blackpool convention every year Gaz 🙂
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3263 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Why would arguably one of the biggest names in mentalism need to release something via a kick starter project ? Gaz 🙂
Troof
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Troof
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Why would arguably one of the biggest names in mentalism need to release something via a kick starter project ? Gaz 🙂

It's not his release. He is just paid by E to front for them.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3263 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Ok then why would Ellusionist need to kick start a project fronted by one of the worlds leading mentalists ? Regards Gaz 🙂
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
Learning mentalism to "get free drinks" and that "no one will ever call you boring again" sets a sad tone on presenting this art of magic...
Ellusionist know there game very good and understand their target group very well, but even sadder this marketing strategy works.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18484 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its an easy way to generate buzz, because most backers would be visiting sites like kickstarter regularly...it sells the sizzle to a broader audience... and a good way to do pre-orders without saying its a pre-order...its backing, it looks and feels different to simply clicking pre-order. Psychologically, it feels more of a personal contract between two people. They've got someone presenting it that is confident and offers lots of insight. It probably alienates a certain group because he's young, tattood and English... instead of fat, balding and wearing a spangly waistcoat and sweating at people...

yes, sweating AT....

so it looks and feels different, and it is a little different, from the branding to what is being taught...

I don't like the marketing hype, but that's down to Pete...

I had a little think today about this project...and its a bit easy to say 'well, this is the death of mentalism"...its not, it'll just eventually change for better and worse...but it'll change on many levels...

when you look back on places like here - anyone who is into magic and wants to explore mentalism, what often happens? they are told they are an idiot, a disgrace, that they don't get it and should go away...hostility from most quarters... theres definitely some magicians who have behaved extremely arrogantly and told well established mentalists their jobs...but there's a lot more grey areas than we think I reckon...

plus, if you do mentalism poorly, it'll look like magic and you'll be seen as a magician...soooo...mentalism doesn't even come into it for some...

besides, if you read any 1920s-40s mentalism books, they all say the same thing, stuff being reinvented, magicians doing it badly and its the death of mentalism, no respect for the history, it get said every decade...and I'm sure the fake psychic mediums said the same about magicians exposing them too Smile

it'll be ok... the youtube unboxing videos will no doubt be ridiculous - but is that any worse the constant exposure on BGT and others in the comments?

and woe betide them if they include a Svengali pad in the box - can you imagine the outrage!!! Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18484 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2019, IAIN wrote:

I don't like the marketing hype, but that's down to Pete...

Apologies, NOT down to Pete...
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2019, IAIN wrote:

and woe betide them if they include a Svengali pad in the box - can you imagine the outrage!!! Smile

We wouldn't dare.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18484 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I double dare you!
Troof
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Troof
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Ok then why would Ellusionist need to kick start a project fronted by one of the worlds leading mentalists ? Regards Gaz 🙂

Well normally people would go to kickstarter because they don't have the funds to manufacture a product. That's what it was set up for. So when a 20 year old company does it, it's for one reason and one reason alone. An attempt to generate hype around a product and take it to a wider audience than the traditional magic audience.

Look at the copy.

It's all written for lonely, sad 15 year old boys who want to get jiggy with the hot girl in school.

It's Ellusionist's target market. Sad kids.

Now, that is an underserved market, to be fair, there are very few companies willing to break the law about misleading advertising in order to get a kid to ask his Mom for $99 so he can get some friends.

PUA stuff is aimed at older, lonely men.

Hats off to them, really. They've found a niche and are going for it.

I mean, I don't really think that they have an ounce of respect for our art, but they're very good at extracting money from the parents of children who want to get a friend.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Just feels like back in the 80s and 90s when a cool underground band gets signed by a major label and starts doing car commercials or something...

That's what I said a couple of pages ago, and this is the equivalent for sure.

Ultimately it's fair enough, I would likely back it with or without Peter's name.

For the price, even if I get one or two things from it, or if some of it ends up in a bag in the back of my car it's worth it.

Props alone we complain about high prices, but we get a wallet, a book, some other bits and pieces.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of aheller5
This looks great even to just be able to watch turner perform you can learn a lot
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Peter's thinking is always worth studying. I've been buying Peter Turner products for years now, and his thinking just gets better and better as time goes on.

In this product we get 7 hours of Peter performing and explaining. I suspect this will be an enormous value, for both the novice and many pros.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7762 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
Peter's thinking is always worth studying. I've been buying Peter Turner products for years now, and his thinking just gets better and better as time goes on.

In this product we get 7 hours of Peter performing and explaining. I suspect this will be an enormous value, for both the novice and many pros.

To state that this would benefit Pro’s is total B@@@@cks
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1251 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Never mind the b@@@@cks... but I have to agree that I'd be surprised if this is of real value to pro's. If you're a pro you should know the ins and outs of every prop and every technique Pete will teach already. And from what I read on this forum the pro's do know. Although... if there's a section on how to present mentalism without being hokey, indeed MANY pro's can still learn a lot Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, Joaquin wrote:
Everything Peter Turner creates and sells is made for Peter . You need to have his skills to be able to perform his effects. From all the books with exclusive releases of hundreds of dollars value not a single effect I have been able to perform.

He is very creative and his effects are very impressive but unfortunately only he can perform them . They are not suitable for average mentalism/magician.

After spending a lot of money on his effects I realized it was more hipe than a real good practical effect.

Joaquin

Just don't buy it...

I have a lot, I mean a lot of peter turners material and I use a lot of it, his psy card forces, his subtleties.

His thinking is awesome and the principles he had created are, I think, rough diamonds, there is still a lot to mine.

And yes Peter Turner work isn't normally for the average, but that doesn't mean that it isn't for everyone.

X
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I think sometimes we forget by FAR magic and mentalism is done by hobbyists not professional paid performers. There would be no Penguin, Hocus Pocus, Ellusionist or Vanishing Inc if only professionals bought magic. Also magic and mentalism have never been bigger even with the Youtube/internet exposure. Vegas is loaded with magic shows and Derren Brown is on Broadway. Multiple casts of the Illusionists and Masters of Illusion travel the globe. Magicians have won Americas Got Talent many times. Fool Us, Carbonaro Effect and Masters of Illusion are hits on television. Fear not, the art of magic is doing just fine.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Will wait to see Ryan Tricks perform the effects first!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How To Read Minds by Peter Turner (163 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL