The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How To Read Minds by Peter Turner (163 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Some random asks...Now, I know latest and greatest has a certain reputation - I'm not into that, but I do have some questions - mainly just out of curiosity...

is it too cheeky to ask to see picks of the a**-a-n**ber and the wallet please? What is the wallet made of?

it says "even the pros will learn a lot" - so what do those guys get insight of that they might not have already?

why does the box have a hidden 2nd layer to hold more props?

what effects in the box have been performed by your favourite magicians and mentalists on tv?

can we see the front cover of the book and maybe a single page inside please?

thanks...

I'm sure the set will be good, but these are all entirely reasonable questions that we would demand to know typically before buying any other set of effects.
I imagine if we are asking this type of question we aren't really the target market.
It seems insecure loners are who this is pitched at (wait what was my point?)

I'm imagining 14 or however many effects, all fairly basic in nature (it's a beginners' set), most of which seem to be possible through the cipher app.
Some reasonably made props but ultimately nothing we don't already have multiple copies of, and likely of a higher quality.
A 7 hour download that could probably be edited down to about 45 minutes (ironically I expect the instructions to be fleshed out whereas the trailer just shows reactions).

Look at what was in the magic equivalent box, fairly basic (probably of a decent quality) props.

I think it'll sell a lot, I think it will do really well and bring people into mentalism who aren't already and will be a much better way of getting people into the art without saying "go read a book".
I think any issues we perceive (these are my perceptions as I don't have the product) are due to it not actually being for 'us'.

Compared to those normal mass produced magic boxes at christmas, this looks great. Imagine yourself not knowing anything about this but having an interest and suddenly finding this out.

I don't like how it's pitched personally, I don't like the whole "you can be the cool guy even if you have no friends" thing.

I'll probably get a set. Why?

Ellusionist have great customer support. They really do. A lot of companies claim to be helpful and be the best, but Ellusionist are up there.
I like things that come packaged up in a box, it's nice. I like shows and multiple effects all ready to go. I like that the props are included.

And if after all that, I don't like it... I can probably give it as a nice gift. As much as I have a gripe with the words in the video, it sounds a fair price at $99.

If this does get exposed by young YouTubers that's probably ok, the people who watch those videos aren't the ones who are going to hire me. Also, if it pushes us to be more original and come up with something new, then that's good too.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2019, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Hey Pete and G!

Besides the book for the booktest, credit card, the Imp pad(?), and p**k wallet, what else would be included? This sounds like a really good starter kit for someone who is interested in mentalism. Since this isn't the kickstarter page, could you share a bit more of whats included, in case we had someone in mind that we wanted to get this for?

Looking forward to hearing more =]

Hey man,

No impression pad. It's a custom designed add a number pad Smile

Obviously because it's kickstarter we don't have the final production sets, only the approved samples, so I can totally film (or get Pete to film) an unlisted video for Café members only. As long as it's understood that it stays here on this forum.

As for the credit card, that is AMAZING. I've never seen anything like it. It's a gimmicked card with 3 tricks built in. The 1089 force, the 37 force and something completely brand new. I'll text you a video now.

The book test is a custom dracula book. It's royalty free which allowed us to print it in the exact way we needed to accurately force up to 6 words. 2 being beginner and the other 4 being layered for the more pro mentalists.

Hope that helps,

- G
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
( I'll probably get a set. Why?

Ellusionist have great customer support. They really do. A lot of companies claim to be helpful and be the best, but Ellusionist are up there.
I like things that come packaged up in a box, it's nice. I like shows and multiple effects all ready to go. I like that the props are included. )

To be fair, I believe this depends on how you review/rate their products. I can say the complete opposite about their customer service from my personal experiences in 2019. Not good at all. Any year prior was good though. When I think customer support, Ian comes to mind. Or penguin. As for this product, since Turners name is on it, I’m getting it. I’m sure I’ll gain quite a bit from it which will benefit myself. And if I have any concerns, I know Peter will absolutely address them with no issues.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
I think we just broke Kickstarter.

Whole site is dead.

p.s. I know it's not really us, but it's bad timing for sure.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1738 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A lot of the posters here should enter the Nit-Pickers of the Year Contest. It's not too late. I'll post the link later.

This seems like a nice collection of material using many of the newest approaches to mentalism, stuff that is scattered throughout many books and downloads that are exorbitantly expensive, with many, because they are released in limited editions, almost impossible even to obtain. Ninety-nine dollars is not cheap, but it's not $400. Ian, himself, is selling here on the Café a used copy of Train Tracking for 300 pounds! This is just one book about (as far as I know) one trick.

Now, if this release were being offered by Joe Schmo the Amazing, then, yeah, the hype in the advertising would need to be scrutinized and verified. But I believe Peter Turner's reputation is thoroughly established and there is no need for all this quibbling over what is claimed in the advertising.

My only exposure to Peter Turner was an At the Table lecture, and I was extremely (and there's no hyperbole here) impressed.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18484 Posts

Profile of IAIN
They've probably got a rush on now it's been advertised you can get girls, no longer be boring and get free drinks...I hope a stretch goal is a fake ID 😃
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2019, Paul S Wingham wrote:
I’m no stranger to giving Ellusionist a hard time over some truly dreadful releases, but I think this looks very cool and represents a nice package of effects for people with likely, more than just a passing interest in learning mind reading (since its $99).

I can hear the criticism already about how its being marketed but if we want fresh blood in the community, which we surely do, we need to attract them and whilst I mean no offence. A 60 year old dude with a billet is not going to excite many....let alone a millenial kid. The issue is, there are very few ways to naturally attract people to mentalism, with very very few mentalists with live shows. Jeez, even some of the old school names don’t do many shows for the public! Don’t believe me? Think of your fave mentalist who you’ve got a teaching dvd of and find evidence of a public show!!! In many cases, you will struggle. So what this release does is helps get the concept of learning mentalism out to the masses and I don’t think that is a bad thing personally.

I suspect this will do really well

These are excellent points.

"A 60 year old dude with a billet is not going to excite many....let alone a millenial kid." True! Made me laugh, though, probably because I'm closer to 60 than the age of a millenial...

Agree this project will do well, and I wish Peter and Ellusionist all the best with it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18484 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't understand why some think it's not fair if someone wants to ask very fair and polite questions...

Or to raise concerns about elements of a release.

And yeah I am selling a book, what's that got to do with this thread?!

Weird. Aren't we supposed to be adults?!
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Okay it's back up now.

Panic over.....
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
I’ll give this to Ellusionist. They’re killing it with the Kickstarter project. Already at $55k. Pretty impressive imo.
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
I recommended a friend and it seems that you guys have broken it, again. Lol. Must mean there’s a ton of traffic. Which is a good thing.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2019, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
I recommended a friend and it seems that you guys have broken it, again. Lol. Must mean there’s a ton of traffic. Which is a good thing.

There was. Cost us money for sure, but we seem to be back up and staying up. Feel free to tell your friend again Lonnie.

- G
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Some random asks...Now, I know latest and greatest has a certain reputation - I'm not into that, but I do have some questions - mainly just out of curiosity...

is it too cheeky to ask to see picks of the a**-a-n**ber and the wallet please? What is the wallet made of?

it says "even the pros will learn a lot" - so what do those guys get insight of that they might not have already?

why does the box have a hidden 2nd layer to hold more props?

what effects in the box have been performed by your favourite magicians and mentalists on tv?

can we see the front cover of the book and maybe a single page inside please?

thanks...

Hey Iain I'll try to answer all of your questions.

We could give pics of the add-a-number pad, but we actually filmed with a version that Duane made in his kitchen, so it won't look as good as the professionally made one you guys are gonna get. I'm hesitant to put pics out there because if people just see the photo and don't see me saying that it's of a homemade one, they'll assume the quality is low. It's not.

But because it's Kickstarter, we don't actually have them in house yet to photograph the finished article.

The wallet will be made of soft leather. It's a himber-style peek wallet that's small - so it looks normal when performing casually.

"even the pros will learn a lot" describes Peter's teaching style. He does 58minutes worth of explanation on just ESP alone. He has touches and subtleties on every single thing taught that enhance the effects in a way that PT is known for. It's not just "this is how it works" ... it's "this is why you need to do this, this is how, this is when, this is the style of reactions you can get, this is the how to deal with spectators, this is how to create a moment and lasting memory etc etc etc"

THE BOY CAN TALK. We had 3 cameras on set, 12 batteries, 4 CFAST cards and Pete was ready to teach from morning til night. It took Duane a whole 3 weeks to edit these explanations.

The hidden 2nd layer includes more props, yes. But because it's a tiered box, we needed to let people know there's a layer of items beneath that they can't see when opening.

As for the TV question, I'll let you find out in full. I know you've pledged, but remember this is a beginner kit, so simple peeks and drawing duplications taught within have been done on TV. So many items within the kit have been done on TV.

Hope that helps

- G
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18484 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok thanks...

The blurb kinda made it sound like it was more specific with regards to TV shows...

Could I see the book cover and maybe an inside page please?
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of rasp
Now that's interesting,........ it says on kickstarter that it will be shipped before Christmas. However, you say that because it's Kickstarter you don't have any in house.

How are you going to get the various items manufactured and the samples checked for quality control, then a full production run completed in time for shipping before Christmas?
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Something that's great about this offering is it will be very difficult for pirates to copy. The instructional videos maybe, but not the box of 14 custom props.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of rasp
My assumption would be that you will not need the custom props to perform the routines, but any generic prop that will serve a similar outcome. If not, that would mean they have created 14 groundbreaking new props which would have made far more money if sold as new individual items.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Hmmm...you may be right. But then again, the custom credit card described sounds pretty custom. So does the book. And the leather himber p**k wallet. I guess other props could be substituted for some of those, but my point was it will be difficult for pirates to copy the complete kit. Which is great. I hope more creators find ways to bring to market items that include custom props which discourage pirating.

A physical, printed book is not impossible for a pirate to scan and copy, but I think its generally thought that printed books are more difficult for pirates to copy and do reduce/discourage pirating. Anything with props, especially a kit with 14 custom props, I think will discourage the pirates. At least I hope that's the case.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
One of the pieces we wanted to film in Miami while shooting this project was to get the material in the kit being performed on a 'real' psychic. Hoping to fool them, or challenge their abilities with these effective and fooling props.

Here's the video of what happened. It's an interesting behind the scenes look at the kind of 'on set' stories that don't make the cut for the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcWyfOEogY&feature=youtu.be
Bierdo
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Bierdo
It’s been years since I’ve posted in this site. I check it every so often. I just wanted to chime in to say this forum and the “magic community” in general will always be plagued by insufferable, snobbish losers. I’m a little disappointed that Turner is even giving them the time of day by replying—it shows low status to do this. Anyways, this looks like a cool kit and the marketing is fantastic—makes me feel like an impressionable uncool kid again lol!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How To Read Minds by Peter Turner (163 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL