The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Thor's Hammer by Terry Chou & Secret Factory (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1639 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Absolutely LOVE the idea!!

https://youtu.be/3lJlJ1FBKAw

FINALLY! A unique version of the popular "Light and Heavy Chest" completely re-designed to be topical, practical and simply amazing.

Now's the perfect time to present this superior effect, since the character of Thor and the entire Marvel Universe are hot topics worldwide. Equally suitable for kids or adults and loaded with presentation possibilities.

Freely display the 17- inch- long hammer and place it head-down on the supplied table. Invite anyone to lift the hammer from the table....an easy task. Place the hammer back onto the table and try as they might, other spectators are unable to lift it !

For kid shows, have a child effortlessly lift the hammer....but the parents can't budge it. For a birthday party, let the kids try to lift the hammer to no avail....only the birthday child can lift it.

Or patter that the hammer is from Santa's workshop and only good little boys and girls can lift it.

For adults, present it as a "mind control" experiment or a "test of strength". And a patter tie-in with the popular super hero, Thor, is a natural.

These are only a few samples of the many, many presentations which may be used with this new, expertly designed and engineered prop.

This perplexing mystery may be performed virtually anywhere....close-up, on stage, outdoors, etc. No complicated set-up and nothing added or taken away.

Truly a practical effect for the working performer or anyone looking for something different and magically entertaining.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1629 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Great idea -- but the hammer end pretty much looks like a big metal chunk / electromagnet, which might offer spectators an obvious clue to method?
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1740 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
And a bargain at twice the price
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1639 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Love the idea, but don't love the price tag...
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1740 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2019, Magic KL wrote:
Love the idea, but don't love the price tag...

Yup for that price you could get a super nice gimpy box.
dunraven
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
96 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I like the idea for kids shows. There are so many plastic Thor hammers on the market, I’m not worried about revealing the method. At least Thor’s hammer is supposed to be heavy when lifted, unlike an “empty” box. Drawback for me is having to transport the special table the spectator must stand on for this to work. Illusion would be much stronger on a properly gimmicked stage.
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
This is a very cool concept. Has anyone seen the quality of the Thor hammer? Does Terry Chou have other magic products out that are quality?? Thanks for any input.
Bob Meigs
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bob Meigs
Nekkoddd
Just got the routine from Hocus Pocus. and the hammer itself looks great! In fact, I bought it primaruly for display. However, the routine came with reference to instructions at murphysmagic/secretfactory/, but I have yet to find anything relating to the routine on this site. This is a small problem, as the routine came with far more screw-together pieces of pipe than needed to assemble the table. Today is Sunday, so I hope to get everything resolved tomorrow.
Bob Meigs
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1639 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Another way to do this effect. Haha

Click here to view attached image.
alexlatorre
View Profile
Regular user
Barcelona
181 Posts

Profile of alexlatorre
Guessing Mjolnir was taken as a name?
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Hey Bob - Very cool, I would love to hear your thoughts. How much effort does it take to remove the hammer when it is in activation mode? Is this routine better suited for kids, or can it stay connected with an adult trying to lift it? I have a Gimpy chest already but it doesn’t have the nice storyline Thors hammer would have. It just seems like it might be odd to have the volunteer step up on the metal table base to lift it.
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
I havent been able to find any reviews for this. I was hoping someone would give a good review.
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
248 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, coachc wrote:
I havent been able to find any reviews for this. I was hoping someone would give a good review.

I just ordered this today. A japanese magician I'm aquainted with had a short video clip of this in action at (I'm assuming) an asian magic conference dealers' hall. From what I saw, Dunraven's opinion that using a gimmicked stage instead of the provided table would make this more fooling is spot-on. That being said, I'll probably be modifying my large
Heavy rigid show table to work with this instead of the table provided when doing kid shows given that I really don't want to work this at ground level for kid shows.
Christian de Punto
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
It works with the "modern" gimpy-principal... so, it would work on a floor too, or it uses the "old" el*****-ma****-houdin-method?
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
248 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
The ad copy I believe mentions the method (second one).
Mine arrived. Haven't practiced with it, but it is nice. All things shipped in this package have a bit of weight to them, so I advise against getting this if you prefer to pack light for shows.
dunraven
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
96 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I do a lot of superhero themed magic shows, so I decided to take the plunge. Here's my review.

Pros
* The hammer is a very high quality prop, it looks fantastic
* Thor's hammer is supposed to be heavy, and this one is. I own the light/heavy box by Jay Mattioli and my problem with it has always been that the "empty" box is very heavy. Most volunteers who lift it (esp kids) ask "why's it so heavy?" With this, they expect it to be heavy.
* It works as intended and yes, you need a special table. I can use the one supplied or my "wooden step stool" from the Mattioli version.
* It REALLY sticks to the table.
* The Avengers are popular right now and the eyes of kids and adults light up when they see the hammer (I keep it in sight but covered until the end of my act)
* The audience reactions are strong.
* One of my presentations pairs this with a replica of Dr. Strange's medallion, so that only the spectator who wears it can lift the hammer

Cons
* It is very heavy to transport and you must also bring the heavy table (so plays big, but doesn't pack light)
* The remote is too large. It appears designed for an assistant.
* The battery pack arrived with the wires stripped and electricity arcing (i.e. big safety concern)
* Instructional video is subtitled, hard to follow (table construction), and no routines are provided or suggested
* No on/off button, it is unclear how long a charge will last, and no indication of amount of battery remaining (you better fully charge it before each show and not activate the item until right before you use it)

Overall, I am satisfied with this purchase and will definitely use it.
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
Hi Dunraven
Thank you for the review...
I like the idea but packs heavy and with table may be too much.
I am 72 years old with a bad back... what do you think?
how many pounds are we talking about? (ISH)

Thanks
Rich Freeman
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
248 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, majickstar wrote:

Thanks

I haven't weighed mine, but the table is quite heavy. I'd advise against it. The advised height of the table is on the lower setting, so you could potentially hurt yourself while lifting it if you use your back instead of your knees.
majickstar
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
9 Posts

Profile of majickstar
Thanks for your help...
Really appreciate it.

Kind Regards
Rich
Rich Freeman
dunraven
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
96 Posts

Profile of dunraven
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, John Gerard wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2020, majickstar wrote:

Thanks

I haven't weighed mine, but the table is quite heavy. I'd advise against it. The advised height of the table is on the lower setting, so you could potentially hurt yourself while lifting it if you use your back instead of your knees.

I agree. I am currently looking for something I could use to more easily transport it, like a rolling case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Thor's Hammer by Terry Chou & Secret Factory (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL