The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Detail of optical false cut (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I really like the "optical false cut from the hand" that Giobbi describes in Card College, V. 1, p. 57. There's one detail that I'm curious about. Giobbi mentions a refinement due to Mel Stover: "Drag the tip of the right index finger over the back of the top card of the deck as the right hand pulls the lower portion back. The fingertip first glides inward on the back of the top card, then moves to the right, tracing an L-shape as the cut is made."

Two questions about Stover's refinement. First, why is drawing the L-shape deceptive? I understand why drawing the long stem of the L across the card might enhance the illusion that it's the *top* packet that's being moved back, but what's the purpose of then drawing the short, horizontal leg of the L? Second, when exactly does one trace out the horizontal portion of the L?

Thanks for whatever help people can offer.

Best Regards, and Happy Nearly-Almost Thanksgiving to the Americans in the crowd,

Bob
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
This is fellow Canadian Mel Stover's elegant (and easily executed) "Winnipeg False Cut", first described and illustrated in Frank Garcia's 1972 book, Million Dollar Card Secrets, pp. 93-94, and has long been my favourite false cut, because of its completely natural appearance.

Its key feature (and what makes it an "optical" cut) is the position of the right index finger. But the whole "L" thing (a term added by Giobbi) is not the goal: it's a consequence of the hand action. The goal is to simulate the index finger remaining stationary on the top card as (apparently) the top half of the deck is removed. The move is more convincing, though, if it appears that the packet is removed to the right rather than towards you (as in a Hindu shuffle). You can't immediately move it to the right, as the left fingers are in the way, so the packet in drawn towards you until clear of those fingers, at which point it is moved to the right, and placed on the table to the right.

This action causes the forefinger to trace an "L" on the top card, but that's just an artifact of the movement of the removed packet.

This action is most effective if not done too quickly, but at the rate at which a regular person would cut a deck.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks so much, ddyment. This makes a lot of sense to me. So if I understand the move correctly, the right index finger is simply lying straight as if pointing, initially resting on the vertical axis of the deck's top card. And then the L gets traced in the air -- not on the top card -- as a result of the motion of the right hand. Is that correct?

I hope you enjoy living in British Columbia. My sister spent a few years in Vancouver a long time ago, and the whole area is supposed to be just gorgeous.

Best,

Bob
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
No the right finger continues to touch the top card (sliding down and then across it to the right) until it drops to touch the top card of the packet being removed. The visual illusion makes it appear as if the finger has been touching the same card all along.

And yes, the southern BC coast is one of the world's best places to live.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Okay - got it!
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Bob.. you should get the Giobbi lecture series.

He basically has settled on a false swing cut to the table. Don't worry about fingerings because is it an in-transit action, done non-challante.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Fancy cuts and flourishes are acceptable -- even desirable -- to many magicians.

But some of us want to avoid any display of card-handling skills, in an effort to create the experience of magic, not dexterity.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Kevin, I have the lecture series. It's great; haven't had time to watch the whole thing. I noticed Giobbi has changed his mind about tapping the deck as time misdirection during a false swing cut. But I don't remember what he's replaced it with. I'm happy with the optical false cut, especially now that ddyment has explained to me the part I was confused about, so I'll stick to that for now. Ah, time is too short for all the things I want to learn!

Ddyment, I've read quite a bit about this issue -- though my thinking isn't backed up by much performance experience. My goal, for the reason you mentioned, is to handle cards elegantly but not ostentatiously. Someday I'd like to do a bit with cardistry, just for fun, but it wouldn't be part of my magical performances.

Bob
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2019, ddyment wrote:
This is fellow Canadian Mel Stover's elegant (and easily executed) "Winnipeg False Cut", first described and illustrated in Frank Garcia's 1972 book, Million Dollar Card Secrets, pp. 93-94, and has long been my favourite false cut, because of its completely natural appearance.

Its key feature (and what makes it an "optical" cut) is the position of the right index finger. But the whole "L" thing (a term added by Giobbi) is not the goal: it's a consequence of the hand action. The goal is to simulate the index finger remaining stationary on the top card as (apparently) the top half of the deck is removed. The move is more convincing, though, if it appears that the packet is removed to the right rather than towards you (as in a Hindu shuffle). You can't immediately move it to the right, as the left fingers are in the way, so the packet in drawn towards you until clear of those fingers, at which point it is moved to the right, and placed on the table to the right.

This action causes the forefinger to trace an "L" on the top card, but that's just an artifact of the movement of the removed packet.

This action is most effective if not done too quickly, but at the rate at which a regular person would cut a deck.

Why I always encourage students to look at original sources.
Don’t learn everything through Giobbi’s filter.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
See the Retention of Vision Cut from Lorayne’s Rim Shots.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, magicfish, I appreciate the reference. I have Rim Shots and look forward to seeing what the cut is like.

You're right, of course, that each expert has a unique vision of of his/her field, so it's good to learn from a variety of sources.

You mentioned learning from original sources. The other side of that issue is that sometimes it's hard to *know* which sources are original; also, not all of us have infinite supplies of money to buy magic books. I'm writing a math textbook that has required me to learn some history of math, and I was surprised to learn how often people just can't figure out who first came up with an idea. There's a whole field of History of Mathematics, a specialty unto itself. I don't know whether the same is true of magic, but it would certainly help eliminate some of the unnecessarily contentious arguments on the Café if we had magic historians who could definitively trace moves back to their origins. It would be a full-time job and more. Dennis Behr is doing us a real service in that regard.

Always nice to hear from you.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Detail of optical false cut (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL