The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Penguin LIVE: All Access Pass doubling in price (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
snm
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of snm
I'd pay $50 a month if it included access to all previous lectures.

Otherwise, no thanks.
svenrene
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of svenrene
@Josh Burch: „Is Penguin changing how often they do lectures? Yes, this is the only thing that has been posted publicly. A price has yet to be announced.“ ???

The Price of 49,95 $ was charged to my credit cqrd today for the next month (2 lectures are announced in the next 30 days).

That is the only fact that I can see. No information email of any changes from penguin so far.

Honestly business for the customers? You can decide by yourself!
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Penguin have always provided value for money and I’m sure will do so in the future. I hope subscribers don’t desert them over this minor blip.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
[quote]On Nov 19, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Personally I could not explain a 30 minute performance in 30 minutes. Sure I can explain the mechanics at a basic level but personally I do not find the tricks to be the valuable part of a lecture.

Mark, I do understand your point and you have a perfectly valid argument to which I mostly agree. But perhaps these programs are just too long. Why not have the performers select only around 3-4 of their favorite gems?

I find myself watching these for around 2-hours and then dozing off, and later losing interest unless there's something really specific that I want to see. In today's fast-paced frenzied world, the average person complains about going to movie that lasts longer than 2+ hours. The "At the Table" lectures seem to understand this better and are definitely an easier watch.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I think a better option may be good indexing. At a 2 hour magic club lecture I just about manage to squeeze in around 6 effects and their explanations. However none of these are explained to my personal satisfaction. One of those effects is a simple 2 envelope bank night style routine. The method itself is very simple but I could easily spend an hour explaining all of the little details, also all of the things that could go wrong and how to either prevent them or deal with them and all of the subtleties and performance tips. There is a ton that I could include in a full detailed breakdown that isn’t possible in a magic club lecture.

Now when I lecture at a magic club the number of people that will want to use every single effect is likely to be quite small. I know when I watch lectures there may be three things that I will use. With a good indexing system you would be able to get all the depth the lecturer is willing to share on the effects that interest you whilst skipping the rest or saving it for a rainy day when there is nothing on TV.

Tricks are easy to come by, it’s the thinking behind the tricks and the benefit of experience that should set a lecture apart from a trick download.

Maybe one way round it would be for penguin to cut each effect and explanation into individual download files. So when you buy a lecture instead of just getting one download file you get one for each effect in the lecture. Sure if there is a live audience they see the whole thing in one sitting but when it is in your account each effect is in its own download.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
433 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I think a better option may be good indexing.

Mark

I think that’s an excellent suggestion. I would get much more out of the lectures if I could easily navigate to, or revisit sections of particular interest.

-Alan
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
[quote]On Nov 19, 2019, Alan M wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I think a better option may be good indexing.

Mark

I second that...Excellent suggestion Mark!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, Josh Burch wrote:
Hello everyone! Josh with Penguin here. I thought I'd jump in and remind everyone that this is all speculation. If the guy on the chat said one way or the other it was just an estimate. Penguin has had changes in pricing and formatting in the past and, while there will be changes in the coming year, those changes in pricing and formatting have not been officially announced as of yet.

Here's a quick reference guide:

What will be the price for next years lectures? It has yet to be decided or announced officially.

Is Penguin changing how often they do lectures? Yes, this is the only thing that has been posted publicly. A price has yet to be announced.

Is Penguin running out of magicians to lecture? Absolutely not. The amount of potential lecturers has gone up over the years. We have more great lecturers to choose from than ever before.

Has Penguin been secretive or dishonest about a price change? The change in price has yet to be decided or written in stone. Penguin can't make an announcement about something that hasn't been decided yet.

Will Penguin stop doing Lectures or Acts? Both the Act and Lecture formats offer their own lists of positives and negatives. We hear constantly from magicians who prefer one over the other. The live acts have produced some amazing results, my personal favorites being Drew Backenstoss, Paul Vigil, Carisa Hendrix, and Laura London's acts. Even after the Live Act format was introduced Penguin has had some great lectures in the old format. Juan Tamariz, David Stone, and Lu Chen all gave great lectures after the Live Act format was introduced.

In the future, it is likely that we will continue this mix of Live Acts and Live Lectures. The talent will likely work with Penguin to decide the format of their lecture.

None of the above is an official statement from Penguin of course. More information is coming and will be announced when it is made available on the site and in the email blast.

Unless the schedule is going to change (is that a possibility?), this doesn't seem too much like speculation.

Is the following speculation or fact?

"Penguin LIVE: All Access Pass Get 30 days of world-class lectures for only $10 per lecture. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."

"Price: $49.95/month"

"November 24th: The Amazing Johnathan
December 8th: Cyril
December 22nd: Jay Sankey
January 5th: Ryan Schlutz"

If fact, please explain how 49.95 a month works out to $10 a lecture. Or how I would get the Amazing Jonathan lecture plus four upcoming events, for a total of five events, for 49.95.

And, as I did in the original post, I'll point out that this is not a complaint about whether or not there is value - that's for each person to decide. But just about information, or the lack thereof.

Click here to view attached image.
Afal
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Afal
Thirding on the video indexing. I know that downloads come with a PDF of the timestamps but it would be nice to be able to jump straight to the relevant part without having to refer to the PDF. I've seen other companies do this with their downloads so why haven't Penguin done this yet?
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2710 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Fourthing.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Fifthing
Troof
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Troof
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2019, Afal wrote:
Thirding on the video indexing. I know that downloads come with a PDF of the timestamps but it would be nice to be able to jump straight to the relevant part without having to refer to the PDF. I've seen other companies do this with their downloads so why haven't Penguin done this yet?

because they don't care and don't have to.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
They should start making best ofs, ala when L&L did their Worlds Greatest Magic dvds. They could have a Best of Live Impromptu Mentalism etcetc
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Since we are doing suggestions, if they keep the same price I would like to see them offer subscribers a free past lecture or two a month.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2019, Robert P. wrote:
Since we are doing suggestions, if they keep the same price I would like to see them offer subscribers a free past lecture or two a month.

Wouldn’t work well for anyone who has been subscribed since the beginning Smile
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
I thought that maybe they changed their mind when I saw the countdown timer for the upcoming Cyril lecture, but clicking on it shows that the timer is wrong and it's on December 8th.

Click here to view attached image.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
And as a long time subscriber I’ve still not received any announcement that what I’ve paid for isn’t what I’m getting this month...
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Penguin has always been pretty good when it comes to issues like this but I would have expected something by now. I will probably unsubscribe once my month is out and buy them individually after reviews or if I see a couple in a row that makes it worth subscribing. Seeing Jay Sankey Live is not something I really care for because of his style and how he treats the audience.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
The new price of Penguin LIVE All Access Pass is $34.95.

The new schedule offers a lecture every other week, and the adjusted price is a good deal even when you factor in the early bird registration discount.

Regarding people who paid $49.95 recently please contact customer support, and we can take care of you and attend to your needs individually.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I just sent them an email about people who already purchased the month for $50 and wondering if they can rectify any of this since they changed it to $35 while I already purchased the "month" at $50:

"Due to the new price & schedule changes that I was notified just today for Penguin Live Lectures, are people who already purchased this for the month going to pro-rated? You changed it after I already subscribed. I paid $50 thinking I would get 5 lectures during that time, but now I am getting less. Moving forward, I understand the change and I will consider subscribing to it each month, but now you already took my $50, not $35. Please let me know if you can rectify any of this. Thanks."

We'll see if they can help those people, like me, in this situation.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Penguin LIVE: All Access Pass doubling in price (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL