The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » UPS by Dee Christopher and Roddy McGhie (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
I have invested so much time and effort into business card peeks than I'll care to admit. Almost all of them have pluses and minuses. I have used Looch's "Hollow" with great success over the years. As Pegasus noted, it's a quick-easy peek. The only downside is that you have a stack of gimmicked cards with only a small stack of cover cards.

Sean Goodman introduced his "Vision" device, which works fantastic provided that you can come reasonably close to matching the gimmicks sides to your business card color. Even with a less than perfect match it's become my "go-to" version because the gimmick can be easily extracted from the stack while placing the cards in your pocket, which still leaves you with enough cards to do just about anything. The only minor drawback to Vision is that it's not quite so deceptive in bright light/outdoors. If you're working at night you will have no issues.

In addition, Phill Smith introduced a wonderful peek idea with "Humint" that uses normal cards and IMO is just as deceptive as "Hollow". However, there is a small clean-up issue that I happily solved this past weekend. I plan on offering this to the community at N/C if I can get permission to share my idea on one of the Facebook forums. My actual routine for Humint involves another supplier's device, but we'll see.

Finally, as I said before. This new offering introduces an interesting peek for specific applications. You can't really compare it to Hollow, Vision, peek wallets, or other solutions where you can gain a "full" peek of the card, but that's not saying that this can't be useful. If it works for "By Association" then I'll be pleased with my purchase.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, Jared wrote:

In addition, Phill Smith introduced a wonderful peek idea with "Humint" that uses normal cards and IMO is just as deceptive as "Hollow". However, there is a small clean-up issue that I happily solved this past weekend. I plan on offering this to the community at N/C if I can get permission to share my idea on one of the Facebook forums. My actual routine for Humint involves another supplier's device, but we'll see.

Recently discovered Phill Smith's Humint peek and agree it is very nice. Look forward to your clean-up solution if you get permission to share it. I've been using Scott Creasey's clean-up, as taught in his excellent SCTO Peek (M.M.M. 2, I think). Works well with Humint.
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
973 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Now this is what you call clean.

https://youtu.be/RWyxV3CF98o

I own both.. Vision and UPS and both are worth a look!
But I appreciate the theoretical look and method to compare items...
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
On Nov 19, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Now this is what you call clean.

https://youtu.be/RWyxV3CF98o

You are absolutely correct Pegasus. It's a truly practical and deceptive solution that works terrific in the real-world and can be brought in/out of play easily as needed. I still occasionally use "Hollow", but I must admit that I do prefer the extra freedom that "Vision" affords.
cardistry master
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2019, Jared wrote:
I watched a little more than half of the download so far and here are my initial thoughts. The UPS Peek (with gimmick inside the stack of business cards) is clever, but the writing space is limited only to the bottom section of the card. Frankly, there are some sleight-of-hand and other gimmicked versions (Vision by Sean Goodman) that are more practical because you're not limited to such a small writing space.

However, within the context of Roddy's routine it works quite well. The seed for Roddy's routine is actually Colin Mcleod's excellent "By Association from his best-selling book 'Divine'. In Colin's version he uses a gaffed envelope to peek the last word within the context of playing a game of word association. I've performed Colin's routine many times and it plays well and the method is sound. The only small negative is that if you were performing impromptu carrying an envelope around might seem out of place, but for strolling gigs (as Colin intended) it's perfect. So, here's where Roddy's development shines. You can keep this gaffed card inside a normal stack of business cards and be able to perform Colin's (or Roddy's) routine impromptu.

The second offering is a new development for the OTL principle for gaining a peek. Again, you're limited to writing on the bottom section of the card turned vertically, but it's quite clever. There's no construction involved (cut a business card section and you're ready to go). I am sure that many performers will be smitten with this idea.

The construction of the UPS gaff should only take about 5-10 minutes to construct and with minimal supplies (no serious arts and crafts involved). I cannot vouch yet for the durability because I haven't constructed it yet.

All told, for $14.95 most mentalists will find use for UPS and the new OTL in their tool box. I really feel this a very nice solution for Colin's effect. You won't have to prepare envelopes or worry that the card inside gets hung up inside the envelope.

I thought by association was more of a prediction. Am I wrong?
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, Josh Burch wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2019, Paul S Wingham wrote:
It feels like a release that solves a problem that simply doesn't exist because it's been solved in a bunch of better ways before!

For a walk-around magician who wants to do Colin's word disassociation routine, this eliminates the use of an envelope and has a very quick reset. I'm not sure what the better ways are that you speak of. For Colin's routine, you could use an envelope, impression device, sleight of hand or wallet. UPS is cheaper than an impression device or wallet. It is more natural for some performers to carry a stack of cards rather than an envelope. It's also easier than most sleight of hand methods.

My point was, literally thousands of peak methods exist and at face value, this appears to have some pros and cons and would merely represent another peak in your arsenal, rather than representing a vast leap forward in terms of peaks in general. I’m not saying its not without merit, just that it doesn’t jump out as being anything ground breaking. Just another peak. Perhaps I am wrong. As I say, the biggest issue for me is sticking a card back in a stack, because in context of “write something secret” then “give it to me”, I think its illogical. I’m sure it flies, but I think there are better ways to handle a card personally.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1550 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
So it’s really NOT a peak in your arsenal... Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
"I thought by association was more of a prediction. Am I wrong?"

NO, you are correct. In Colin's version the last result is his own prediction, which is apparently sealed in the envelope. But in this variation, you will determine the last word using both telepathy and a "little bit" of psychology ("based on the previous answers given"). In this later version, the gaff can sit inside a stack of cards until needed. But of course with Colin's you will need to prepare the envelopes in advance (very tiny bit of arts and crafts). Both are excellent options. It's really up to you to decide, which suits you best.
cardistry master
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
I was just saying they are entirely different effects?
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2507 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Drives me nut when people call it Looch's Hollow. Fred Kolb published it in 1970 in Exciting Experiments in ESP. I independently re-discovered it and Danny Archer marketed a version called Drawn Again.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Drawn Again and Hollow are completely different methods. The Drawn Again download I purchased from Penguin uses a completely ungimmicked stack of business cards. With Hollow, there's a little more preparation involved.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2507 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Sorry, it was called Sneak Preview. Danny released the same idea because

Sorry, it was Sneak Preview. I told Danny about it being in Fred Kolb's book.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Thanks for clarifying. Have not heard of Sneak Preview.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The Fred kolb booklet is fantastic...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
You are correct Jerskin...the effect pre-dates Looch's "Hollow" and was called "Sneak Preview" and it was an EXCELLENT release. The movie screen type cards it included were really nice-quality. Unfortunately, most of us are guilty of referring to the latest and greatest version being discussed on the forums without researching these details first. But frankly, in our defense there are so many new products and different versions being released of similar products that it becomes extremely difficult to keep track of them all. Let alone, details about a products past history.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I wish there was a way to get more people to do research before releasing a new effect, research intended to uncover originality, necessary permissions and crediting.

It's easy to say, just do it, but so many people don't and won't.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3494 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Got the physical package today. A little bit of the secret something and a stack of double blank business cards. The cards are glossy and slide well, so that's nice, I might use these for something else.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2019, Jerskin wrote:
Drives me nut when people call it Looch's Hollow. Fred Kolb published it in 1970 in Exciting Experiments in ESP. I independently re-discovered it and Danny Archer marketed a version called Drawn Again.

I don't know why it 'drives you nuts' Greg. People will use their most familiar use of a principle as a reference point! I discuss and give complete credit to Fred Kolb's original version in my first Penguin lecture. I also did this in 4.8min when I first used a hollow stack of business cards. it was first applied to books and playing cards then every type of card since.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
How is this compare to PaC stack?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » UPS by Dee Christopher and Roddy McGhie (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL