The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Head fire (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
448 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Dear friends - does anyone know the version or the author or the magician, for this illusion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD66vYfTaUQ
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4984 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It says the magician is Robert Crowther but I don't know anything about him. He has several videos on that page.
Where the magic begins
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
It's a pretty straight forward version of the Sacrificial Cremation illusion. The original was popularized by Burling Hull and included in his book of illusions. In the original the head is replaced with a burned skull. But it is more common now just to do the burning. It is still somewhat popular in the East. Tora still makes a version under the Head Fire name. See here https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......ad-fire/.

Not sure of maker of version shown in clip. It is very nicely designed and executed. Are you looking for this exact version?

Another video:

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott Magic has made this for years, they call it Sacrificial Cremation Illusion.

https://www.abbottmagic.com/Sacrificial-......oryId=-1
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
448 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Thanks as always for the starting points! FrankFindley What book are you talking about? Smile
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2019, Eugene Chekhov wrote:
Thanks as always for the starting points! FrankFindley What book are you talking about? Smile

Burling Hull had several and I can't remember which one it is. Maybe Illusions for 1-,2- or 3- Performer Shows or the controversial The encyclopedia of stage illusions. Here is some more specific information on the illusion.

In the January 1951 Linking Ring, Ormond McGill is credited with creating the Sacrificial Cremation illusion. He was a famous hypnotist and bizarre magic practitioner who performed under the name of Dr. Zomb.

In 1949 Abbott Magic released it as an exclusive. I have heard the current Abbott version is manufactured by Chadwick Illusion Fabrication so it will be very high quality.

In the early 1950s Burling Hull began promoting it and it really took off. It was a popular illusion for the clubs where stages were disappearing as the illusion could be done surrounded and on the level.

Burling Hull wrote some items related to Sacrificial Cremation in Linking Ring which promoted its use:

April 1955
ORIGINAL PATTER AND PRESENTATION IDEA FOR THE "CREMATION" Here is an unique, humorous presen-tation idea for the Sacrificial Crema-tion Illusion, which is becoming very popular of late, because it is a "small" illusion of light and easy portability, but with BIG effect. I understand Milbourne Christopher has added it to his show with a Chinese playette scene where the girl's head is burned and then restored... (I've clipped rest of the long article to avoid exposure)

June 1955
For inexpensive, lightweight, EASILY PORTABLE and quickly set-up and taken down, "SACRIFICIAL CRE-MATION" with Stand Table 50. With LARGE 26" by 18" FOLDING STAGE TABLE that is COMPLETE-LY CONVERTIBLE so that you can use the table all through the act to carry or support your various other props in earlier tricks—then when you desire to present Cremation Il-lusion you merely LIFT OFF the UP-PER layer "Top" (drape and all stillon it, with your other tricks there on)and set aside $60. You can place the Illusion on it and work it from there.

If you are looking for plans, Paul Osborne had details for two versions. One is the traditional tube approach which was released as a stand alone product.

https://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/headcremation.html

The second was a simplified (and in my opinion less effective) single box approach for side shows which is published in his Step Right Up book.

Goswick also has a version with a bit of a twist:

https://www.goswicksmagicbooks.com/produ......oswick/#
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3617 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I kind of liked that. I hope she wasn't too uncomfortable.
Dr. O
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
237 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Nice period graphics in your post. Thanks for sharing FrankFindley.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
186 Posts

Profile of R Don
Youtube.com/watch?v=yCo4yslCWUA

here is another way to do it without so many props.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Lots of variations on the theme with different methods.

Comedy accident

Penetration

Vanishing head

As part of flying head
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2019, FrankFindley wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2019, Eugene Chekhov wrote:

Burling Hull had several and I can't remember which one it is. Maybe Illusions for 1-,2- or 3- Performer Shows or the controversial The encyclopedia of stage illusions. Here is some more specific information on the illusion.

FYI. I have confirmed that Stage Illusions For The 1-2 or 3 Performer Show 3rd edition by Burling "Volta" Hull
published by Micky Hades includes two versions. One is the "Older Method Cremation Illusion" using the two tubes. The other is the "Improved Cremation Illusion" using a box and a tube.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Head fire (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL