The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Lloyd Barnes Gaff System - 2 decks. 23 tricks. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Watch the trailer: https://www.ellusionist.com/gaff-system-by-lloyd-barnes.html

10 YEARS IN THE MAKING… A BRAND-NEW GAFF SYSTEM WITH 23 ORIGINAL TRICKS

The secrets contained within this gaff system do not lay within the cards themselves, but rather in the devious constructs and notions which bring the cards to life.

Only when these methods of deception are learned will you truly understand the power you’ll hold within the palm of your hand.

Designed over a lifetime in magic, Lloyd Barnes brings you a treatise in visual card magic.

This gaff deck combines principles of science, optical illusion, engineering and sleight of hand that will introduce you to a treasure trove of visual magic.

Each card in this set has been hand designed, tested, worked and refined to ensure that when you crack the deck open and begin learning the secrets, you’ll be ready to blur the lines between reality and science fiction right in front of your audience’s eyes.
Marvelous
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Marvelous
Lloyd goes on about the reason they chose not to use decks that look like bicycle rider backs like mandolin or maiden decks.

He said the average person knows what coca cola looks like and will spot a small difference if the label changed and that the average person will know something is off about bicycle cards like mandolin or maiden.

I really disagree. I have supported every ellusionist gaff deck released but don’t know if I will purchase this.

They could have recreated the iconic ellusionist gaff deck in Maiden or Mandolin or better still the UltraGaff deck minus the Green Card lol or created a new gaff deck with 52 new designs.

Instead they release it in Cohorts. While I don’t hate that design my big problem is Ellusionist doesn’t keep their designs long enough.

I paid full price for the gaff deck and bought 2 bricks of Artifice and one brick of Tundra to go with them and when I ran out I went to order more but they no longer make Green Artifice or White Tundra. Also the gaff deck they sold for 40 bucks is now 3.

I have no confidence that Ellusionist will still be selling cohorts in 5 years.

When a magician parts ways with their company their card lines decrease and many go Poof!

A lot of the Madison cards that were some of their best sellers are gone.

It’s just an opinion but I think a gaff deck in a Maiden or a Mandolin makes more sense and I feel like some of the gaffs in this offering could be better.

The many hours of instruction would be interesting to watch but I really don’t have confidence that Cohorts will still be around in a few years.

Lloyd is very creative and some of his offerings are brilliant and the price for what you get isn’t that bad I just wish there was more gaffs on a bicycle brand stock. I would have paid 50 for a Maiden or Mandolin Ultragaff release.
Circuit_Breaker
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Circuit_Breaker
I am buying it. But I think they should be Maiden or Mandolin back.

Of course then no one would buy the proprietary deck they sell that matches these card's backs. Which you would need to do unless you are just doing packet tricks with them. Or use one of their cards on the back of a Rider deck and not let the spectator see the Rider backs.

He's right though, I won't hear a spectator tell me some nonsense about the Coca Cola logo. And how they play with Rider backs as much as they drink Coke. And that they see Rider back ads as much as Coke ads. And that they saw Rider banners at the Superbowl last year while drinking out of a Rider back promotional cup.

He's right I won't hear any of that.

What I will hear when I use these backs is that it is a trick deck because it doesn't look anything like a Rider back.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Some of this looks a bit familiar. I wonder how much overlap there is with the Mechanix Optrix deck and the recently released companion Visualies Gaff cards?
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
A bunch of the tricks didn't look very convincing on video, I can't imagine how they would look in real life.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10247 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The optical illusions are great if viewed by a camera, not so in real life.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2761 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I like this. I agree with Marvelous that cohorts may be gone, but a deck of gimmicks and marked cards sounds fun. Notice he said for some for "social media magicians" too. This means not necessarily real world performable. Price point is good for this too.

Also the project that garrett thomas put out many years ago like this.....excellent cards "mash pack"
jugagien
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of jugagien
Agreed, this looks like instagram tricks primarily. I'm sure there's a few that could be done in close-up. However, you can't ignore the black shirt he's wearing for some of the effects. Will the black card gaffs totally camouflage itself in close-up in real life? Heck no!
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2761 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2019, jugagien wrote:
Agreed, this looks like instagram tricks primarily. I'm sure there's a few that could be done in close-up. However, you can't ignore the black shirt he's wearing for some of the effects. Will the black card gaffs totally camouflage itself in close-up in real life? Heck no!

They would in a dim lit bar.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I haven't had time to carefully watch all the instructions yet but nothing I've seen thus far would not be possible in real performances. It's no more restrictive than any other gaff deck I've seen.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Troof
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Troof
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
I haven't had time to carefully watch all the instructions yet but nothing I've seen thus far would not be possible in real performances. It's no more restrictive than any other gaff deck I've seen.

But your opinion is surely worth nothing because you work for the company who released this, don't you?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I don't work on commission.

But when I see a product I can tell is solid, I am happy to talk about it.

Gaff decks all have restrictions. It's the nature of the 'genre' as it were. Things you can hand out, things you have to ring in and out, etc. This set is like an updated Ultra Gaff. To me several of the routines have a Paul Harris kind of feel to them.

Yes you'll have to mind angles, but that doesn't scare me in the slightest and that doesn't mean it's IG only. You just manage your audience and perform the appropriate tricks for the angles you have to deal with.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2019, Circuit_Breaker wrote:
I am buying it. But I think they should be Maiden or Mandolin back.

Of course then no one would buy the proprietary deck they sell that matches these card's backs. Which you would need to do unless you are just doing packet tricks with them. Or use one of their cards on the back of a Rider deck and not let the spectator see the Rider backs.

He's right though, I won't hear a spectator tell me some nonsense about the Coca Cola logo. And how they play with Rider backs as much as they drink Coke. And that they see Rider back ads as much as Coke ads. And that they saw Rider banners at the Superbowl last year while drinking out of a Rider back promotional cup.

He's right I won't hear any of that.

What I will hear when I use these backs is that it is a trick deck because it doesn't look anything like a Rider back.

Honestly, we should add a big disclaimer: “This is a problem only in US”. Outside US, nobody questions the back of your cards, as most people have a very vague idea of what poker looks like, even with recent media exposure. In France a Cohort deck is more likely to be far more familiar than a Bicycle, because the faces are “old-style” like the cards we use here (Grimaud, Fournier, Modiano or less frequently Copag). In Europe (France, Italy, Spain) it’s far more common to see Tarot or Bridge cards.
I agree that the biggest problem is more the availability of Red Cohorts, as it seems they are already out of stock and Cartamundi might cease using the B9 stock in favor of the thinner E9. I personally bought it and have half a dozen of decks left so I’m covered for a while, but this is probably the real deterrent for buyers.
Just my 2 cents, K
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Bought it - reviewed it - in my video I have some of the studio performances (not from the trailer) if you'd like to see them a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QxvUVp27w
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Lloyd Barnes Gaff System - 2 decks. 23 tricks. (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL