The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Penny for your thoughts Ľ Ľ Silent Poets by Fraser Parker (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Here is the ad:

Silent Poets MEM is the sixth limited hard-back book from Fraser detailing his unique approach to prop-less Mentalism and his use of words to shift perception in order to create the illusion of real magic.

If you want to be able to speak to strangers and with your words shift the perception of those you meet in order to create the illusion of real mind reading and wish to learn the latest ground-breaking inner secrets to reading minds without props from a master in his field, you will want to get hold of his latest limited book before it sells out completely!

Pre-Order now and receive bonus content not included in the hardback book.

Fraser and a few of his close friends have been mostly responsible for the innovations that have led to the acceptance of prop-less as a genre and it becoming a viable tool and means of expression, within the art form.

In this book Fraser continues his exploration of entirely new principles and techniques that allow you to create the illusion of real mind reading utilizing nothing but your words to make it work, as well as sharing with you various new ideas utilizing props such as playing cards, a pen and pieces of paper.

This book contains entirely new ideas from Fraser, whilst also building on what has come before in new and interesting ways.

Even if you donít own any of Fraserís previous releases, you will still be able to perform everything he teaches in this book, as it will stand on its own.

Some of what is made possible with this work is.

Know what categories your spectator is focusing on, utilizing clever conversational language to link and unlink thoughts, without props.

Know what colour or word a spectator is focusing on after they have changed their mind multiple times. This binary option can then be used to unlock other thoughts. This is a new prop-less utility.

Create a situation where the spectator focuses on ďyesĒ or ďnoĒ answers mentally and you are able to silently follow along and nail specific information they are focusing on, without props.

A way to draw a few symbols on a piece of paper and have the spectator focus on the symbols relevant to their life in order to reveal specific pieces of information. This is the impromptu version of something Fraser plans to release as a book test that utilizes symbols in the future.

Fraser also includes his spectator key card placement with a deck of cards where everything happens in the hands of the spectator. The spectator shuffles a deck of cards face up while the performer looks away. They remember a card they see during the shuffling procedure and then continue to shuffle the deck before handing them back to the performer, yet you will always be able to divine their card or use it to achieve other effects in the book. They do all of the work for you!

Also taught is Fraserís entirely new and never before seen solution to the Open Prediction plot utilizing a deck of cards.

More on this bookís content will be released over the course of the Pre-Order period but suffice to say, if you love what Fraser has shared in the past, you will definitely not want to miss out on this release!

This very special work is a limited print run and is being made available on Pre-Order so that direct customers have the chance to secure a copy before anyone else.

Those that Pre-Order in the next 3 weeks will also receive bonus content not included in the hardback book, on release.

Limited to 200 copies only.

It is expected to be released on or before the 29th of January 2020
aladetomiwa
View Profile
New user
Nigeria
42 Posts

Profile of aladetomiwa
The yes or no answer stuff sounds interesting...
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2019, aladetomiwa wrote:
The yes or no answer stuff sounds interesting...


Yess... If it could be repeated a lot of times I think it would be pretty good...
aladetomiwa
View Profile
New user
Nigeria
42 Posts

Profile of aladetomiwa
Http://www.fraserparker.co.uk/silentpoets.htm

Update on content for Silent Poets:

Fraser has decided to also share his work on polarity in this ground breaking work.

Imagine being able to have a spectator choose a card at random from out of the deck. This stays sight unseen and then either they themselves or another spectator answers questions about the face down playing card in their head.

They slowly build up an image of whatever they feel intuitively this card is based on their answers and finally name a card and without any moves whatsoever they are instructed to turn the playing card over and it matches perfectly!

This is not the O force.

They can also guess what category they think a word written on a face down card belongs to and then answer questions in their head regarding this unknown word and finally intuitively say out loud what they think this word is, again being proven correct once the single face down card is turned over.

Imagine instructing the spectator to focus on two colours in their mind then instructing them to change back and forth and settle on one of these colours at random and always know which colour they are thinking of. This happens in a few seconds and doesn't rely on spelling the word, counting letters or rely on naming letters. They simply visualize their colours as colours and change back and forth!

Imagine performing rock, paper, scissors as cleanly as first having a practice round and then from that point on always being able to win, loose or draw each subsequent game at will even predicting the entire outcome of each game.

Imagine a card esp match up where you simply look into the eyes of your spectator place your card down first and they always place the correct card down after you.

NO one ahead or shifting the order of the cards. You both deal into your own pile and are both left with the same card at the end. These get turned around to prove you are now on the same wavelength followed by each of the piles being turned over one card at a time simultaneously showing a perfect match for each card!

Imagine a which hand where you guess correctly which hand the spectator places a coin as many times as you wish, even after they mix the coin between each hand behind their back. You will know which hand the coin will end up in before they settle on a hand and bring both fists out from behind their back.

Also taught is a way to clean up any effect utilizing equivoque. In fact, you can openly ask if the spectator wants to stick with their choice or wants to change their choice and will be able to secretly direct their choices whenever you need to adjust. They adjust for you!

Fraser also teaches his two way out that uses psychology and choreography to imply only one out is ever in play. This allows you to write a single prediction on a single piece of card and isolate it in front of you covering it with you hand, yet you will always appear to be correct.

Imagine handing a spectator a deck of cards and instructing them to shuffle face up towards themselves, remember whatever card they shuffle to and then to either cut the deck a few times or shuffle again, yet you always know their thought of card.

Imagine an Open Prediction effect with playing cards as clean as the spectator dealing cards face up until they get a feeling to stop. They stop and deal the next card face down then continue to deal the rest of the deck face up, checking all the way through the deal to see if the predicted card has appeared. They then turn over the face down card they themselves dealt to the table and it matches the prediction perfectly! This is a completely hands off effect. The spectator shuffles the deck before dealing. The performer doesn't need to know where the prediction sits in the deck. A borrowed deck can be used.

This is some of Fraser's most direct, solid and simplified work to date.

http://www.fraserparker.co.uk/silentpoets.htm
The_March_Hare
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of The_March_Hare
Silent Poets Review

I havenít written a review in a long time, not because there are not good books and mentalism releases out there that deserve a review but because I have been busy with my personal life. I have purchased many great releases this year including Amaze, Deadlock, Looch Pocket Index, Jinxed 2, and many others. Having said that, being a long-time follower and fan of Fraserís work I decided to take the plunge and purchase Silent Poets.

Iím not ashamed to say that I use The O Force (I learned it from Russ Andrews Release called Destination), The Bold Drawing Duplication, Catís Cradle, and other routines of his religiously. I have a tattoo of the Tree of Knowledge on my arm and I frequently use The Bold Drawing Duplication as a spectator as mind reader plot. Nonetheless I was very much anticipating this release of his which promised to be his best work to date. As much as this is going to frustrate Fraser, I think that this release fell very short of all of my expectations. It is very difficult to talk about this release without tipping the method that is repeatedly used in almost every routine but I will do my best.

The first part begins with a shuffling sequence that has a participant hold a deck in their hands, doing an overhand shuffle, peaking a card, and then giving the deck another overhand shuffle to lose the card. This is probably the best thing taught in the book. I genuinely do like this but the problem is that there are better things to do that are already released. With this, there is some...how do I put it... set-up that needs to be done beforehand, the sequence looks controlled, and you have to give them instructions that feel restricting. I like that it can be set-up while delivering your scripting but there is a lot that can go wrong and there are better routines out there on the market. Peter Turner just released a routine on his Jinxed 2 project that allows you to do the same thing, except that you donít need to set-up the deck beforehand, the cards can genuinely be riffle shuffled, their card is merely thought of from the center of the pack, and the cards can be riffle shuffled afterwards. Peter has shown this video to the people on the Magic Cafť in its entirety so I encourage everyone to go and watch those videos that Peter posted and compare effects. As magicians, we always must ask ourselves are we releasing material for the sake of releasing it, or is it a genuine improvement on what has already been done. In the case of this shuffling sequence it is not an improvement. If I am doing an impromptu thought of card, Iím doing Peterís version. Keep in mind that Peter Turnerís release cost me approximately $130 USD and was in video format with PDF supplemental material and Fraserís book cost me a painful $200 for a PDF and a Book. I'm not complaining about the format because if the book was a goldmine of information it would be well worth it but I did not find it to be...

Letís move onto his open-prediction effect, which according to the ad copy says, ďImagine an Open Prediction effect with playing cards as clean as the spectator dealing cards face up until they get a feeling to stop. They stop and deal the next card face down then continue to deal the rest of the deck face up, checking all the way through the deal to see if the predicted card has appeared.Ē Sounds great doesnít it? To the audience Ė absolutely... lets just leave it at that... I will not be performing this and I don't think that this is even a logical solution to the problem.

Iím not even going to go into the other effects because Iím so disappointed. Every purchase comes with a PDF (which I read) and a physical copy of the book. I donít even think that Fraser should bother sending me the physical copy of the book, because I wouldnít even feel comfortable selling it to another mentalist in order to recoup some of the money. All of the demo-videos where it appears that other magicians are completely fooled, I cannot honestly see how. I genuinely wish I could show each of you what was written and you could ask yourself if that would fool you. Before writing this, I did read some of the material to two of my closest friends to make sure that I wasnít missing something, and they agreed with me.

Yes, he does some work on some previously known psychological forces but they are not an improvement by any stretch of the imagination. Iíve been doing a color force for a long time (since Banachek's psychological subtleties vol. 1 came out) but I will not be incorporating Fraserís work into my current routine that uses a color force. This is the first time where I have paid that much money for a book that I could not even pull a single subtlety, perhaps a single line from that genuinely improved what I was already doing as a performer. Itís never a good sign when you have to tell the participant afterwards that they may, ďunravel the illusion for everyone elseĒ, so donít tell anyone anything, particularly when you are a close-up performer and its worse when this is the outcome for most of the routines in the book. I know that there will be a backlash about this review, as there always is when people are honest, and I genuinely wish no ill towards Fraser, but I regret this purchase.

In full disclosure, I cannot write more than what I have already written on the methods because they are too easy to expose. I might have already exposed too much, I'm not sure. What is evident is that I read through it as Fraser suggested and around every twist and turn was waiting for it to come to the stuff that I was going to use but it never transpired. Fraser's writing style is one where he asks you to read through the book in chronological order without skipping over anything, I think that he should consider chapters because it is brutal for someone to have to read through 240 pages just to get to the routinens that they will perform. Other performers have written like this too but I think that Fraser riterates himself too much and could easily condense what he has written to far less pages.

I was really looking forward to this purchase because I thought that it would be superior to all past releases, but I liked Book of Angels and Book of the Fallen way more. This simply depressed me about purchasing any further books in the future. I think that I have invested too much money in material that I have not learned from and I canít do it anymore. I will just stick to material from trusted sources that I have always gotten a lot out of. As I said at the beginning of this release, I loved Peter Turnerís Jinxed 2, Escalators, Devil in Disguise 2, and I loved Amaze, Deadlock, and the Looch Pocket Index Ė all of which cost less than this book.

The reason that I chose to write this review was simply that mentalism is a business, a market place, and I think that people should invest their money in material that they are actually going to use. I understand that not all material is for all people but there comes a point when we have to recongnize that the material might not be as good as we would like to believe that it is. Due to my love for Fraser as a person and his past material, I wanted to sugar coat this review but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. This was $200 out of my pocket that I cannot get back and it put a distaste in my mouth for buying future releases.

With Sincere Regret,

The March Hare
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Thanks for the review!
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
505 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Thanks for the detailed review. It was very helpful to me.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
I wouldnít even buy anything in a pirate site from the propless - not performing for real people - uk based gang of overpriced products.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
917 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
I thought I'll offer a quick review from someone that paid the full price of the book and actually really enjoyed the content.

This book is essentially a treatise on the "Spectator as mind reader plot" and dual reality. Think Ken Dyne's "The whisper" but massively improved.

I will transcribe exactly what happens in one of the effects to give everyone a bit better idea of the type of content in the book.

Spectator A chooses a card sight unseen and spectator B is supposed to guess what the card is. You say that you will whisper instructions to spectator B on how they are to use their intuition in order to guess the card but if at any point you ask them to play along or give them any clues, they are to immediately say so. After a brief whisper you ask them again "I didn't tell you any clues about the card, you genuinely have no idea what spectator A is thinking about?", all of this is true, they are also not instant stooged in any way. You then ask them a series of 50/50 questions that they answer in their head in order to build up a card and when they do, they are able to name the card that spectator A is thinking about. Everyone get's an effect, no one is stooged.

Fraser goes over numerous handlings and justifications for each step in the process, and even if the spectator B was to explain in detail what you whispered to them, still neither of them would be able to figure out the method.

Spectator as mind reader is my favourite plot in mentalism and this book opens up so many new possibilities in that area.

I would say if you liked Peter's bob principle and didn't think it's "Too bold" or are interested in the spec as mind reader plot, you are very likely to enjoy this book.
Reader discretion is advised.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Thanks for the review!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1595 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2020, The_March_Hare wrote:
Silent Poets Review

I havenít written a review in a long time, not because there are not good books and mentalism releases out there that deserve a review but because I have been busy with my personal life. I have purchased many great releases this year including Amaze, Deadlock, Looch Pocket Index, Jinxed 2, and many others. Having said that, being a long-time follower and fan of Fraserís work I decided to take the plunge and purchase Silent Poets.

Iím not ashamed to say that I use The O Force (I learned it from Russ Andrews Release called Destination), The Bold Drawing Duplication, Catís Cradle, and other routines of his religiously. I have a tattoo of the Tree of Knowledge on my arm and I frequently use The Bold Drawing Duplication as a spectator as mind reader plot. Nonetheless I was very much anticipating this release of his which promised to be his best work to date. As much as this is going to frustrate Fraser, I think that this release fell very short of all of my expectations. It is very difficult to talk about this release without tipping the method that is repeatedly used in almost every routine but I will do my best.

The first part begins with a shuffling sequence that has a participant hold a deck in their hands, doing an overhand shuffle, peaking a card, and then giving the deck another overhand shuffle to lose the card. This is probably the best thing taught in the book. I genuinely do like this but the problem is that there are better things to do that are already released. With this, there is some...how do I put it... set-up that needs to be done beforehand, the sequence looks controlled, and you have to give them instructions that feel restricting. I like that it can be set-up while delivering your scripting but there is a lot that can go wrong and there are better routines out there on the market. Peter Turner just released a routine on his Jinxed 2 project that allows you to do the same thing, except that you donít need to set-up the deck beforehand, the cards can genuinely be riffle shuffled, their card is merely thought of from the center of the pack, and the cards can be riffle shuffled afterwards. Peter has shown this video to the people on the Magic Cafť in its entirety so I encourage everyone to go and watch those videos that Peter posted and compare effects. As magicians, we always must ask ourselves are we releasing material for the sake of releasing it, or is it a genuine improvement on what has already been done. In the case of this shuffling sequence it is not an improvement. If I am doing an impromptu thought of card, Iím doing Peterís version. Keep in mind that Peter Turnerís release cost me approximately $130 USD and was in video format with PDF supplemental material and Fraserís book cost me a painful $200 for a PDF and a Book. I'm not complaining about the format because if the book was a goldmine of information it would be well worth it but I did not find it to be...

Letís move onto his open-prediction effect, which according to the ad copy says, ďImagine an Open Prediction effect with playing cards as clean as the spectator dealing cards face up until they get a feeling to stop. They stop and deal the next card face down then continue to deal the rest of the deck face up, checking all the way through the deal to see if the predicted card has appeared.Ē Sounds great doesnít it? To the audience Ė absolutely... lets just leave it at that... I will not be performing this and I don't think that this is even a logical solution to the problem.

Iím not even going to go into the other effects because Iím so disappointed. Every purchase comes with a PDF (which I read) and a physical copy of the book. I donít even think that Fraser should bother sending me the physical copy of the book, because I wouldnít even feel comfortable selling it to another mentalist in order to recoup some of the money. All of the demo-videos where it appears that other magicians are completely fooled, I cannot honestly see how. I genuinely wish I could show each of you what was written and you could ask yourself if that would fool you. Before writing this, I did read some of the material to two of my closest friends to make sure that I wasnít missing something, and they agreed with me.

Yes, he does some work on some previously known psychological forces but they are not an improvement by any stretch of the imagination. Iíve been doing a color force for a long time (since Banachek's psychological subtleties vol. 1 came out) but I will not be incorporating Fraserís work into my current routine that uses a color force. This is the first time where I have paid that much money for a book that I could not even pull a single subtlety, perhaps a single line from that genuinely improved what I was already doing as a performer. Itís never a good sign when you have to tell the participant afterwards that they may, ďunravel the illusion for everyone elseĒ, so donít tell anyone anything, particularly when you are a close-up performer and its worse when this is the outcome for most of the routines in the book. I know that there will be a backlash about this review, as there always is when people are honest, and I genuinely wish no ill towards Fraser, but I regret this purchase.

In full disclosure, I cannot write more than what I have already written on the methods because they are too easy to expose. I might have already exposed too much, I'm not sure. What is evident is that I read through it as Fraser suggested and around every twist and turn was waiting for it to come to the stuff that I was going to use but it never transpired. Fraser's writing style is one where he asks you to read through the book in chronological order without skipping over anything, I think that he should consider chapters because it is brutal for someone to have to read through 240 pages just to get to the routinens that they will perform. Other performers have written like this too but I think that Fraser riterates himself too much and could easily condense what he has written to far less pages.

I was really looking forward to this purchase because I thought that it would be superior to all past releases, but I liked Book of Angels and Book of the Fallen way more. This simply depressed me about purchasing any further books in the future. I think that I have invested too much money in material that I have not learned from and I canít do it anymore. I will just stick to material from trusted sources that I have always gotten a lot out of. As I said at the beginning of this release, I loved Peter Turnerís Jinxed 2, Escalators, Devil in Disguise 2, and I loved Amaze, Deadlock, and the Looch Pocket Index Ė all of which cost less than this book.

The reason that I chose to write this review was simply that mentalism is a business, a market place, and I think that people should invest their money in material that they are actually going to use. I understand that not all material is for all people but there comes a point when we have to recongnize that the material might not be as good as we would like to believe that it is. Due to my love for Fraser as a person and his past material, I wanted to sugar coat this review but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. This was $200 out of my pocket that I cannot get back and it put a distaste in my mouth for buying future releases.

With Sincere Regret,

The March Hare


Thank you, March Hare. Sadly this is in line with other reviews of this, you're not the only one that spent loads and got little or nothing back...
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
aladetomiwa
View Profile
New user
Nigeria
42 Posts

Profile of aladetomiwa
If anyone is interested in buying my copy(Unopened)
Pm me
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
WOW! Finally a real, honest review. Not just a product announcement with marketing spiel and link to purchase followed by a bunch of "eager to get it," "cant wait" postings and how great the authors previous material was.
I'm a fan of certain filmmakers and while I may initially be excited about a potential project, I wait for its release and reviews before buying my ticket. Fortunately I was able to catch 'The Irishman' on Netflix but that's three hours wasted I'll never get back.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1595 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Haha! I totally agree about The Irishman.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
luiscubanmentalist
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of luiscubanmentalist
I have been just an observer at The Magic Cafť for about 19 years now and just recently decided to start interacting. This is mostly because I hate the back and forth that can occur in forums and chat rooms. However, I felt the need address something said on this thread.

Someone mentioned that the material wouldn't fool him or his magician friends and I am scratching my head as to why that even matters. Just because you are aware of the multitude of effects and methods on the market today doesn't mean that the lay people you are performing for have any clue as to what you are doing.
The_March_Hare
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of The_March_Hare
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2020, luiscubanmentalist wrote:
I have been just an observer at The Magic Cafť for about 19 years now and just recently decided to start interacting. This is mostly because I hate the back and forth that can occur in forums and chat rooms. However, I felt the need address something said on this thread.

Someone mentioned that the material wouldn't fool him or his magician friends and I am scratching my head as to why that even matters. Just because you are aware of the multitude of effects and methods on the market today doesn't mean that the lay people you are performing for have any clue as to what you are doing.


First off I didn't say that, what I said was all of the magicians in his demo videos who claimed to be fooled were simply playing along for the sake of him promoting his book. I said that it wouldn't fool anyone, magician or laymen and for the record, when you say that magicians and laymen alike will be fooled and you promote that idea in your demo videos, it should hold some weight. I have no problem with performing tricks that probably won't fool magicians, if... and only if... they are truly great tricks. Not knock-offs of already published effects that are not nearly as good as the original. Someone mentioned in one of the comments above that Fraser was inspired by Whisper by Ken Dyne, so he wrote this book based upon a similar idea. First off I should ask if he had permission to do so, and if he did I must ask if this material was superior to Whisper. If the answer to the second part of the question is no, then it shouldn't have been released. All of my close friends who own Whisper, I have shown this material to and they all have told me that this material is horrible but Whisper is really good.

I'm not trying to be negative here but sometimes we must face the facts. I know that Fraser has a cult following who will say that everything he puts out in fantastic and I used to be one of those people but this time I just cannot praise the product, even if I wish that I could.
The_March_Hare
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of The_March_Hare
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2020, aladetomiwa wrote:
If anyone is interested in buying my copy(Unopened)
Pm me


I also have a copy for sale (obviously). I also have Book of the Fallen for sale. I will sell both for $75. I don't have the paper cover anymore because I don't like how women are displayed on them but nonetheless they have sat on my shelf without being touched.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Penny for your thoughts Ľ Ľ Silent Poets by Fraser Parker (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL