The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth Coins, Purse and Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I watched David Roth's
Coins and Glass on video and I was
quite impressed with the effect.

Does anyone perform this? It looks
like a significant amount of work
to do properly.

Any advice, etc.?

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
It is a very nice routine and as Dave says, it's a formal showpiece. I think the real difficulty with this effect is not the moves but rather the environment you perform it in. This is not something David Blaine is going to do on his next special it doesn't suit his style or even mine for that matter, but if you love elegant formal coin magic this is for you.

The only technical advice I can offer is give it the time it deserves; pay attention to every detail.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

Yes, I really like elegant formal coin magic for some reason. I fell in love with John Carney's "Cylinder and Coins" when I saw it for the first time last summer at the A-1 magic convention.

I think this might be my next year-long effort

For god's sake, did it really take me a year to learn cylinder and coins... and I still think it's got several years to go before I will be happy with my own performance. I'm always tweaking something....

I hope this one doesn't take as long.

Frank
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hello,
Do you mean "Purse and Glass" that is on page 273 of his "Expert Coin Magic"?
I have been doing the effect for years. It really isn't that hard to learn. The hardest part is finding a shot glass that will cover the coin. I used a file and carefully filed the bottom rim of the shot glass.

If you think that this effect fits your style then learn it. I have fun with it every time I do it.

Ray
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

Yes, you're right. It's purse and glass. I think I need to find a purse that works well too. Where do I find one of those?
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have had my coin purses for many years. If I remember, I think they are called "Goshman Coin Purse"

Ask your magic dealer.

Ray
Magic333
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magic333
Does anyone have a particular brand or type of shot glass that "works?" I can never find the right type. They all seem to be just a bit too small. Anyone have an idea?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

you might try a restaurant supply place
or
go to a bar and ask to buy one on the spot

hey, that's an idea. show some tricks for the rights to take one shot glass out of the place.

the shot glass roth uses is a big one with a recessed bottom.

i need one of those.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Man, it's amazing the useless trivia you learn being a coin magician, but since the only fun is in sharing the obscure info, here goes:

The Shot glass you're looking for is a "Pony" shot, and it is like a mini beer mug (no handle, of course) and it's made for the same purpose, i.e. to make the standard serving of liquor look bigger than it is. To this end, it has a great big hollow in the base, and is very thick glass. The pony shot can hold more than a jigger of liquor, but has a fill line marking the single shot.

Bar and restaurant supply stores have these, or try an online source. For some reason, these shot glasses were widely available in drug stores in Hawaii years ago.

A really small coin purse is not essential for the routine, although one that's too large will start to look suspicious. Magicsmith sells claspless black purses that are just big enough to hold the six coins, and they are both attractive and mysterious.

As for the routine itself, well, it's a classic, and I encourage you to study it. You'll learn a lot from working through Mr. Roth's piece.

Good luck!
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

i like the clasp type but i'll take a look at magicsmith.

thanks,

frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Roth Coins, Purse and Glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL