The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Eoin O'Hare's newest gaffing tool - DMT Template (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4759 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I chose this sub-forum because it is something that folks that gaff or are thinking of gaffing probably wouldn't find it in the review section. Plus, it is not only a review but a "start" of "how-to directions" that will benefit this group more than anywhere else. If I am off here, the mods can always move it but I hope my point of this being a gaffers only tool and topic that it will stay.

I have to start out by stating that I have been a "self gaffer" for a few years now (mostly because I use and love Phoenix Brand Cards and many gaffs were simply not made in Phoenix backs). I do have (and use a lot) all of Eoin's Jigs / Gaffing Tools except the N-Stripper jig (although the Stripper Jig can make belly strippers with some simple adjustments). I also have a Todd Lassen "Card Genii" and a crazy array of other home made jigs from online blueprints/ideas shared by James Riser's site as well as "The Corner Short" blog. Add all this to some dvds and ebooks on splitting and gaffing cards. Yes, all of this cost more than buying an "overpriced replacement gaff" but I have loved the journey and making gaffs for myself and a few friends has become a nice form of therapy.

The DMT (Dry Mount Tissue for those who are confused Smile ) is a thin tissue with heat activated adhesive soaked in. It will remind you or a sheet of paper. The brand I use comes in 8x10 100 sheets. It makes a gaff card have a "snappier" feel to it than rubber cement or a glue stick - although they all work.

Now to the topic of Eoin's newest jig. When it first got in the works and I saw it coming together on his Instagram, I did not think it would be "for me". It is well machined as all of his jigs are. It has 2 adjustable fences that will accommodate Bridge cards, Poker cards and anything in between. The purpose of it is to adjust the fences to butt snug the the sides and ends to the card you will be gaffing and then, once tightened, you can cut a perfectly sized sheet of DMT (or as many as you need depending on the gaff you are making. I thought, "I can do that with a metal ruler" "I think I will Pass on this one". However, I decided to try it out after all and found out just how wrong my thinking was. I have known for some time that all cards are cut just a tad differently. Be it different brands, same brands run thru different cutter dies that could be a hair off or one dull and one sharp. In other words, there are very small differences but as a gaffer, you learn quickly how much a small difference can make a huge difference in the finished product. At least "I" feel this way but when I am making a gaff for a friend (or a customer) I want better than close. I cannot count the times that my ruler has slipped a bit or I lined it up and the cut was a hair off making the DMT to small.

This template is super easy to use and goes absolutely beautifully with his recently released "Aligner Jig" with same two adjustable fences and lets you perfectly line up all the layers in a stack so you can tack down one corner with the iron then finish it off (still aligned) off to the side. Once it cools down a bit, just clamp it between his "Press Plates" along with one or two 2" clamps and keep pressure on it overnight now should have a nice snappy good as new gaff.

You can take a look at the DMT Template https://www.theperfectshuffle.com/DMT-Template/ and see how the Computer Aided Design went into the process and a demo video. Also, check out the other fine items on the site. I will eventually do a review of the entire process from "The Snaker" to the "Corner Splitter Jig" to the "Card Splitter Jig" then the "DMT Template" and finally the "Aligner Jig and Press Plates".

All said and done, I highly recommend the "DMT Template" as well as all the other jigs in the process to make top end gaffs. I will do another post later about the "Pinpoint Pegger" and "Breather Jig". The "Stripper Jig" itself will be a post of it's own.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
4759 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I got diagnosed with yet another DVT Blood Clot in my right calf (3rd DVT, 2nd in that calf) and have been laid up on resting with my leg propped up for a week. I did however use this time to knock out some gaffs using the DMT Template Jig and the Aligner Jig and was able to knock them out almost twice as fast as I used to without quality control problems. Everything was the exact same size and it all fit right with no layer being off even a hair. Although I had a small doubt at first, those doubts are out the window and blowing in the wind right now. This is such an easy and accurate way to put your gaff cards put together and finished evenly every time.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1068 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Hi Poof-Daddy, I hope you're feeling much better.

Do you need to round trim the corners of the dmt when using the DMT Template?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
4759 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Not until the gaff is done. This assures that the corners get full coverage with the DMT layer.

When you trim in advance, there is always the chance it is a tad off and the corners do not get full coverage. I found my earliest DMT gaffs from years ago would start to peel at the corners from time to time. I wish I would have thought to leave the extra on the corner and trim when done.

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Eoin O'Hare's newest gaffing tool - DMT Template (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL