The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Translocation - Coin Pick Up (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rosty
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Rosty
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the name for picking up coins by using your pointer finger and pinky ( coin is hidden by your middle & ring finger). Trying to replicate Kennedy's translocation but having trouble with this move. Any online tutorials of the coin pick up / tips are much appreciated!
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
In the Bobo coin book, it's called the front finger hold. In the Translocation trick, it helps if your fingers are a little tacky. It also helps if the coins have relatively sharp edges. When I first started learning the effect I used English pennies w/English penny shell. They "bite" into the fingers.
Later, I also found that silver coins and shells were easier to grab than the non-silver clad coins.
And, finally, it helps to work on a soft surface, so you can dig your fingers into the mat around the coin's edge.
Rosty
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Rosty
Thank you! This was super helpful for me. Just picked up Bobo's book. Do you happen to know of any good tacky items to use, I was thinking of just regular glue but I'm sure there's something more advanced out there.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
For Translocation, I'd recommend that you don't rely on any sort of adhesive substance to accomplish the effect. Just try to avoid having really dry hands.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I think you're talking about purse palm.
Rosty
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Rosty
@NicholasD copy that! The most difficult part for me is getting the coin up off the mat. Probably just takes more practice?

@Tom yes! This move seems very similar to a purse palm, I think the main difference is that you're picking the coin up while it's flat? I couldn't find any videos online / find it in Bobo's book, just found a magic Café thread on it (https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=514097&forum=3) - do you happen to know of any other resources on it?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2019, Tom G wrote:
I think you're talking about purse palm.

In the purse palm, the coin is gripped between the first and third fingers pretty much at the base of the fingers. While in the front finger hold, the coin is gripped between the first and fourth fingers nearer the finger tips.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Translocation - Coin Pick Up (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL