The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fragment video download by Michael Murray (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4135 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
How similar is this to Route 101 Gaz 🙂
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
186 Posts

Profile of Chollet
I get his point, all that nuance in there, it's a lot to take in.

If nuance, subtlety, and patience aren't your thing...might I suggest that one could give up mentalism and take up box magic?
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1678 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Due to several requests, Fragment is now available in DVD format too Smile

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2059 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Just got the download from penguin magic on this. very very nice and very nice thinking but I will add if you do get the download you have to go to video four for the tutorial.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4135 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Just want to give this a massive thumbs up after purchasing this yesterday and watching the download tutorial today .
It’s a brilliant effect with a borrowed shuffled deck that’s has some wonderful layers and subtleties .
I 100% will use this , it really is a fooler and it’s genius thinking from Michael as ever .
This couldn’t be more up my street , highly recommended and the explanations are easy and clear .
Best wishes to all Gaz 🙂
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1552 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2020, 252life wrote:
I get his point.
MindFx should shorten the instructions to 30 seconds, add music, omit those annoying nuances, and include coffee.

Maybe shorten the name as well. Fragment takes half the day to enunciate.

You're right; it should come with coffee since I literally spewed mine all over the screen while simultaneously knocking over my coffee cup as I attempted to clean said screen after reading your comment. Smile

On another note, I watched the performance for this and like very much. I may have to pick it up.
There is a road - no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night. And if you go, no one may follow; that path is for your steps alone.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2373 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2020, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2020, 252life wrote:
I get his point.
MindFx should shorten the instructions to 30 seconds, add music, omit those annoying nuances, and include coffee.

Maybe shorten the name as well. Fragment takes half the day to enunciate.

You're right; it should come with coffee since I literally spewed mine all over the screen while simultaneously knocking over my coffee cup as I attempted to clean said screen after reading your comment. Smile

On another note, I watched the performance for this and like very much. I may have to pick it up.

Lmao well then my job is done Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1552 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
With regards to this effect:

Dastardly simple and very sneaky - I absolutely love it!

How another commented earlier that this was too complex, leaves me feeling very perplexed. Honestly, you couldn't ask for a more straight-forward and elegantly simple solution. This is precisely the type of sheer pluckiness and boldness that I adore and is something you can put into use pretty much immediately. Loved all the little subtle nuances here , and particularly, the bit with the two cards at the end. Just wonderful. This is a perfect FASDIU effect.

Thanks Michael! Smile
There is a road - no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night. And if you go, no one may follow; that path is for your steps alone.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1089 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Love the presentation of the effect of the principals involved.
Don't have it,but see the beauty...
Gotta buy it now, cause,I'm gonna use it.
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
I haven’t read the whole 8 pages but two times I read that people are wondering if this has been thought before. More than 20 years ago David Roth showed me nearly the same routine on a convention in Switzerland. It was not his idea, but I can’t remember whom he credited it to. So this has definitely been thought on long before. I can’t understand why this qualifies as an ACAAN effect. To me its more a „The card chosen through your number is still laying at your choosen number“. Bit different in my opinion.
Holo, Lucky Coin and more: www.gedankenkunst.com/Shop.html
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4135 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The point is the card can be thought of if you wish before the number and it’s then completely shuffled so you have no idea what number or card it is but you are able to put the thought of card back in the thought of position . Brilliant Gaz 🙂
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The point is the card can be thought of if you wish before the number and it’s then completely shuffled so you have no idea what number or card it is but you are able to put the thought of card back in the thought of position . Brilliant Gaz 🙂

This doesn’t change much...
Holo, Lucky Coin and more: www.gedankenkunst.com/Shop.html
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1158 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
I’ve bought Fragment and iam undecided yet.
Good thinking went into the effect and Michael Murray is a beast when it comes to that!

The core method is what I’ve expected it to be. There is a obvious limitation with this.
I’ve asked myself if a simple thought of your participant could put the illusion at danger. Even with the nuances explained.
You ask your spectator to name a number and remember the card at that exact position.
After byplay, a simple but crucial move and convincers you later reveal the card at that exact position.

The nuances to sell the effect are reasoned and necessary.
The whole thing is very procedural like already mentioned. You have to like and sell that.

Fragment seems very well suited for impromtu situations and a borrowed deck on the fly.

It will not replace the version(s) I already use.
There are much stronger and direct CAAN and ACAAN around.
The procedural handling of Fragment makes it less transparent (in terms of layers of deception) but potentially less entertaining in my opinion.

If you like it - go for it!
If you still have a good and working version there is no need to buy this.
If you want to educate yourself and looking for a impromptu version I would recommend the Crusade.
I wouldn’t mind bore my spectators with the Crusade followed by Fragment (or vice versa)! Only if you want to put them to sleep.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4036 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I got bored and picked this up. Demo fooled me. At first I thought it was too procedural but I’ve done it five times now and was honestly shocked by how great the reactions have been. Even the wife said it was one of the best tricks she’s ever seen. So glad I gave it a shot. Will definitely be using it.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3845 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I don't own this, but I do something very similar. I can't say it is the same method, but I assume so. I love the plot and I think this is a great "borrowed deck" routine. I do several variations of ACAAN, most of them not technically ACAANs as this isn't either, but who cares? Audiences just want to be entertained. I have never had an audience member, even with magicians in the room say: "Wait, that technically wasn't an ACAAN." and even some where ACAAN is combined with other effects. I do two sleights in my routine, and from what I have read here, there is just one sleight in Fragment. The second sleight I do isn't absolutely required, but I think it sells the effect very well. What I love about this routine is that in my routine it is 98% theater of the mind that makes people think that what is happening isn't happening, and I suspect that in Fragment, it is 99% theater. Very nice.
KJ
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
I think this is simply brilliant! I can see why people are surprised this (exactly)hasn't been done before but not in a negative way. Yes, it is procedural, but I feel it gives you time to sell the effect. I even devilishly laughed myself while practicing because I can imagine how it plays in the spectator's head...impossible! I've performed a few times and it's gotten great awe reactions! I always liked the idea of The Crusade but not so much the way it plays out. I feel Michael kept the same "impossible guidelines" of it but made the effect way better. Well done Michael
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1678 Posts

Profile of celebrity
I hugely appreciate the very kind words and hope that you all have great fun with this!

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1416 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I really enjoy performing Fragment, and I realize that one of its strengths is that it can be done totally impromptu with a borrowed deck of cards - which is great. But the reality is, most of the time I perform this, I'm in a situation where no one has a deck of cards - just me...and in those circumstance, I actually prefer to use a marked deck. Why? Because during the performance, you're claiming to have read their mind and know their card - so when they finally deal down to the card but just before they turn it over I say "And your card was the 4 of hearts, right?" When they confirm it, I give them a slight smile like "Great, I got it!" and then they turn over the 4 or hearts (or whatever card they selected). Hope that makes sense, and hope I'm not giving anything away.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1089 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
[quote]On Apr 9, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I really enjoy performing Fragment, and I realize that one of its strengths is that it can be done totally impromptu with a borrowed deck of cards - which is great. But the reality is, most of the time I perform this, I'm in a situation where no one has a deck of cards - just me...and in those circumstance, I actually prefer to use a marked deck. Why? Because during the performance, you're claiming to have read their mind and know their card - so when they finally deal down to the card but just before they turn it over I say "And your card was the 4 of hearts, right?" When they confirm it, I give them a slight smile like "Great, I got it!" and then they turn over the 4 or hearts (or whatever card they selected). Hope that makes sense, and hope I'm not giving anything away. [/qu
Nice!...
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
Mr Mindbender, that's a NICE touch! I'll be trying that out, thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fragment video download by Michael Murray (60 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL