The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Complete Coin Vanish - Kainoa Harbottle ? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1507 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a good complete coin vanish that's non gaffed (no p**l, no r***n, no special coin etc.) and that doesn't use any t***t (no TKO either - that's a good one though imho) or sl*****g and after doing some research I have seen people mention Kainoa Harbottle was teaching a method in one of his materials (I think someone has recently based an effect on that but I can't find who anymore) and I couldn't find where he published it... could someone be so kind and point me to the right direction?

Also any other suggestion regarding any other method that can be done either wearing a t-shirt (without po***t) or sleeves rolled up would be much appreciated (I have read about Alchemy but I've seen a lot of people not very happy with it? Same for Evanesce?) - also starting a new thread on this as the few I have found on the topic were really old (I might have missed relevant threads though, please don't hesitate to point them out!) so maybe there have been more recent methods that have been developed since.

Thanks a lot!
Ben
Ben BV
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
What context are you needing a complete vanish?

There are ways to show your hands to be convincingly empty.

With the stipulations you've given, all you have left is to drop the coin into your pocket at an opportune time.

Are you at a table? Standing? Surrounded?

Some items from Bobo include: The Bluff Vanish, Cuffing, Recovering a dropped coin.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1507 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Oh right very good point forgot to specify: so basically it would be to end a one coin routine where I want to end clean and I am standing up while performing and usually not surrounded. For the moment I either use the wash move (not sure if it’s the right name) but it’s tough to finish on that; or I also use a move close to the Harada move but that doesn’t allow you to show your hands as freely (I forgot the name but I think it was developed by an Asian magician - position is close to the Harada but you can’t move your hands as much - you show your hands with palms facing spectators so definitely not doable surrounded). So yes a move that shows the hands convincingly empty could potentially work for me but I’d rather have a complete vanish if possible.

And thank you for the suggestions! Smile Will look into them!

Any other suggestion welcome! Especially if someone knows that Kainoa Harbottle move!

Thanks!
Ben BV
Silversleights04
View Profile
New user
Houston, Tx, United States
65 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Greg Wilson does a slick little vanish that's perfect for smaller coins and really funny to watch and perform. It's not a hardcore one to fool your magician friends, but I always get spectators with it. I mostly do it with pennies, but in the right conditions I've gotten away with doing it with bigger coins. He teaches it about 20 minutes into his At the Table lecture.
Magic sees Magic.
Together we make each other better.
Do something amazing today.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8504 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not sure if you ever wear a watch or not, but you could use it to completely vanish a coin. I got a friend that does it really well when finishing his One Coin Routine, quite deceptive. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2660 Posts

Profile of John Long
Chapter IV of Bobo is about complete coin vanishes

As a "one up" on the vanish that Marion mentions was made available from J Sankey:

ABSOLUTE COIN VANISH
- in rolled up sleeves, or short sleeve shirt
- you put the coin in you left hand, have the spec hold that wrist
(this will look like the "watch" approach, but no watch is used - your opposite hand will move up the arm)
- at this point w/o extra moves, you show the left hand empty.
- Then, with arms outstretched, both hands have the fingers straight and spread wide, you rotate the hands/arms palm up to palm down.. no coin
It is pretty impressive looking, but very easy

This uses a technique that I've seen in only one other place, in the Impossible Coin Catch of "Korem with out Limits"

Greg Wilson teaches an "all around vanish" in "On the Spot"
Sankey teaches a ditch as part of a coins across" Slow Motion #2, (this wasn't presented as a vanish, but it can be used for that

Just a few to consider.

John
jim ferguson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ayrshire, Scotland
212 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
As you are in London, a magnet in your back pocket can be handy.
All modern coins apart from the twenty and fifty pences will work.

Jim
Zauberman
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Ditto what Jim said above.

This is mentioned in Bobo's under hooked coins. Plus after the complete vanish you can steal back and reproduce.

I often use American Silver Dollar dupes you can often find in Chinatown.

And the angles are pretty good....unless someones checking out your derriere from behind Smile

Try it. It's very practical and works!
TheHbomb
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of TheHbomb
I've looked into a lot of these solutions as well, and depending on how far away you are from your audience, Ben Earl's SDS Vanish can work really well. It's what I've been using as of late. If you have the right line like 'putting on elbow grease' you could try the neck ditch, which can work, but I don't particularly like it as a solution.
_W_
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of _W_
I think sleeving could be a great way way to do a complete coin vanish if you're wearing long sleeves. Rocco and Perseus Arkomanis both have some great material for sleeving. I know Perseus has a one handed coin vanish using sleeving and it's extremely convincing.

You could also take a look at Jeffrey Wang's Now You Sleeve Me, which came out pretty recently. The sleeving technique taught in the tutorial is simply astonishing.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4844 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Try ditching the coin in the spectator's pocket. Holding the closed left hand with the apparent coin in front of them, take the right hand with the concealed coin and gently move their body for a closer look. At that point release the coin into their pocket or purse.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
See my discussion of Slydini's Revolve Vanish on page 221 of "Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years" (or April 1, 2011 of the Perverse Magic thread thread of the Genii Forum.)
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
This is the complete vanish that I use. Often I have been asked to do it again. I would retrieve it right in front of them and vanish it again and again and again and they still had no clue.

https://youtu.be/yuuR7SB_gpU
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I have found the best complete vanishes, for me, involve two things mentioned above: the shirt pocket, yours,... and a mag. holdout.
However, the mag holdout offers some incredible advantages. You can place it under any type of clothing in front of you where a hand naturally drops.
It is stunning to people to see both hands completely empty and to have you "grab' a coin from any location. And to have it completely disappear again with your hands completely empty.
This is superior to any move or sleight, I could care less whose name is on it. This is what I have found to be what really stuns for me, with coin vanishes.

One of the unexpected things I have found is that for a spectator, it is much more magical to make a coin reappear from their shoulder or some strange location, after your hands have been shown to be completely empty. Than to merely make it appear again in your hands. The point is that THEY ARE A PART OF THE MAGIC, IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT YOU AND YOUR HANDS. Lately, I could almost start a religion with some simple holdout coin vanishes and reproductions. Trust me, it took me decades to get here. You will have to experiment. But it will be completely worth it.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1507 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Not sure if you ever wear a watch or not, but you could use it to completely vanish a coin. I got a friend that does it really well when finishing his One Coin Routine, quite deceptive. Smile

Oh right - Joshua Jay does that, that could be an option indeed, thanks for mentioning!
Going through the other messages thanks a lot to everyone who answered! Smile
Ben BV
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1507 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check out all the options you guys mention above! Very helpful Smile
Ben BV
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1507 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, MichaelJae wrote:
This is the complete vanish that I use. Often I have been asked to do it again. I would retrieve it right in front of them and vanish it again and again and again and they still had no clue.

That looks really good! Is that your own method or is it published somewhere?!
Either way well done!
Ben BV
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2019, goldeneye007 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, MichaelJae wrote:

That looks really good! Is that your own method or is it published somewhere?!
Either way well done!

I'm glad you like it. This is my slight modification of a method found in,,,,,,,,Bobo
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1507 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Ah yes right thank you! Smile

Oh and if anyone knows where to find that Kainoa method don’t hesitate to chime in!

Thanks guys! Smile
Ben BV
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Complete Coin Vanish - Kainoa Harbottle ? (13 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL