The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Just a weird thing with a ring and a string... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Silversleights04
View Profile
New user
Houston, Tx, United States
90 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
My presentation of Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5vsKN9AdSc/

Now that I feel more comfortable with the core mechanics, I'd like to start modifying the routine to really make it feel original. Before that, I wanted to get y'alls thoughts and opinions; any helpful feedback is appreciated!

Hope y'all enjoy!
Magic sees Magic.
Together we make each other better.
Do something amazing today.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11786 Posts

Profile of John C
Well I can say I’ve been doing that ring and string thing almost identical for about 20 years. Ding ding ding.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I like it!

Doug
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
38 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Very good, I enjoyed that. You've done that a few times Smile
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

"You cannot BUY a TRICK.
TRICKS, somewhat like music, only exist while they are being PERFORMED.
An EFFECT cannot be BOUGHT either. An EFFECT is what the spectator perceives.
You need to read FITZKEE. --There are only nineteen EFFECTS"
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
Silversleights04
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 7, 2019, John C wrote:
Well I can say I’ve been doing that ring and string thing almost identical for about 20 years. Ding ding ding.

Cool! Any tips for improving it with that 20 years experience? Smile
Magic sees Magic.
Silversleights04
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Glad you guys enjoyed it! Thank you sincerely for taking the time to watch!
Magic sees Magic.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of puggo
I think that 3 or 4 moves (as you have) is ideal, much more than that runs the risk of being 'magic for magicians'. In terms if feedback, its hard when you're performing to a camera in a narrow field of focus - you did a fine job, but it lacks the interaction of people etc.

There are a couple of options in terms of moves, e.g. Mark Leveridge has some great work as has others such as Matthew Wright. For me, I think originality in such routines comes from the presentation rather than the mechanics or sequencing, but as mentioned, its hard to make suggestions based on the video.

Matthew Wright (as one example) is very good at putting in running gags or devising presentational themes, which for me really lifts the magic. The Jerx blog (which is aimed at casual rather than paid performances) has some great posts that help promote thinking about how the magic is presented (e.g. the 'peek backstage')...

Good luck,
Charlie
Silversleights04
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, puggo wrote:
I think that 3 or 4 moves (as you have) is ideal, much more than that runs the risk of being 'magic for magicians'. In terms if feedback, its hard when you're performing to a camera in a narrow field of focus - you did a fine job, but it lacks the interaction of people etc.

There are a couple of options in terms of moves, e.g. Mark Leveridge has some great work as has others such as Matthew Wright. For me, I think originality in such routines comes from the presentation rather than the mechanics or sequencing, but as mentioned, its hard to make suggestions based on the video.

Matthew Wright (as one example) is very good at putting in running gags or devising presentational themes, which for me really lifts the magic. The Jerx blog (which is aimed at casual rather than paid performances) has some great posts that help promote thinking about how the magic is presented (e.g. the 'peek backstage')...

Good luck,
Charlie

Thanks for the awesome feedback Charlie! I appreciate you taking the time to check out the video as well.

At this moment, all of my videos (as you noticed here) unfortunately lack audience participation, but I'm making moves to change that here soon though. I'll check out the Jerx for presentation tips as well, I think that would be a beneficial resource!

Thanks

MV
Magic sees Magic.
Charlieherbertmagic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Charlieherbertmagic
Nice ending!
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
Nice work! Loved the ending!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Just a weird thing with a ring and a string... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL