The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Table hoppers & party strollers Ľ Ľ Not heckling, but not enjoying (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1193 Posts

Profile of imgic
In recent thread there was discussion about hecklers, but lately Iíve noticed another issue that Iím not sure how to best deal with.

Iím not a professional, but perform almost weekly at local pub when we go for trivia. It started with our little group of friends, but soon began to perform for other tables. Itís great practice for me and fun.

But Iíve noticed thereís people who get frustrated by not knowing how the tricks work. They donít heckle, but they arenít enjoying themselves because they want to know how itís done.

I work hard to avoid presentations that make me look like Iím putting one over on spectators; no challenge tricks. I try to make them the stars and focus on fun. Perhaps I notice it because one of my fiends in one such person. She huffs at end of routine and asks to see it agin, or started peppering me with questions... once in a blue moon I come across someone at a table similar to that.

David Williamson has a great story in in Penguin Lecture about such a woman at one of his shows. He just kept at it up until he overwhelmed her.

What do you with more experience and knowledge than I do in this situation?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My only experience is being paid to work. All the rules are different when you are just doing tricks to do them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4312 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
In a casual situation with a friend like that itís best just to leave her be unless she wants you to perform.

I donít know the context but if she is constantly not enjoying it then donít do magic for her. I had a gig today where a lady was very open about not really enjoying it, thatís 100% okay and you move on and donít try to pester them with entertainment they donít care for.

If they arenít going to enjoy themselves by not knowing and you arenít going to tell them your secrets itíd be more respectful to stop.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
With Perverse Magic you can take the position that you have no idea how it's done.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, Gerald Deutsch wrote:
With Perverse Magic you can take the position that you have no idea how it's done.

Either way with someone determined not to have fun you have the same problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Trying to force someone to like a magic trick when they are obviously dis-interested is like getting someone who hates physical activity to play volleyball at a family reunion. Magicians need to realize a spectrum exists for laymen regarding the enjoyment of watching a magic trick/show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This dynamic exists more so when you just do tricks to do them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1193 Posts

Profile of imgic
Great insight all. Thank you.

I'm not trying to force the woman into liking magic. I don't single her out, and pretty much stopped using her in any routines. But the others in the group like to see the trick of the week, and she's there. So it's just an odd situation.

When I go over to another table, if there's a disinterested person, it's easy enough to work through it an move on.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1193 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, Gerald Deutsch wrote:

I've seen your book and read Jack Shalom's blogs about "Perverse Magic" Great stuff and it's inspired me to incorporate the philosophy into some of my routines. I've put the book on my Christmas wish list,

http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu......817.html

and think it's great that proceeds go to the Open Heart Magic charity.
Pauldelafontaine
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Pauldelafontaine
Some people just wont like your magic! That's the fact! Just don't pick on them or try too hard, they'll probably end up actively disliking you.
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
If its a one on one situation I will only perform one trick for that person. I usually try to tell a few jokes a lighten the mood with them, it usually helps the situation.

If it is for a group of people, I will begin to play to someone else if I can. I pick whoever is reacting the best to what is happening. I just ignore any negative looks the person gives and don't let it bother me if they completely quit watching the routine. Some people just don't want to have fun!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1193 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thanks all for insight. It's not she's negative. She likes to see the magic. She doesn't say "don't" and never is negative or bad mouths my routines. But she doesn't enjoy it...she feels like it's a challenge to her, that she has to figure it out. Even though I'm not presenting it that way.

I still perform weekly at the pub, just keep her on the periphery and have fun with the others...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which is really all you can do.

I had a dog who when we went to the dog park all the dogs in the park loved him and wanted to run with him, except one. For whatever reason he seemed to fixate on that dog! It is a strange fixation LOL. I am NOT comparing you to the dog, just relating a story. I always wondered why he would bother when he had a lot of other dogs who wanted to play with him?

I get the compulsion. It makes sense. It is an artists curse. You are trying to play in your head what you must be doing wrong or could do differently in order for this person to engage and understand what it is you are presenting and ENJOY IT! It just eats at you. If 10,000 people are having fun and one isn't, in our minds that one stands out much louder than the 10,000! Just fight that. You have the solution and have fun with those who want to.

Also consider the following. It is possible that she is having fun the way SHE has fun. It is possible that she internalizes things and doesn't show outward signs of having fun. In truth this is not unlike myself. I tend to be a HORRIBLE audience. I enjoy things, but find myself having to force reactions to not seem like a jerk. Often people are uncomfortable with outward reactions. It might be this and you might find that as she becomes more accustomed with you doing this she may turn.

Either way I think you did it right so keep having fun!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
Perhaps you could use her as an instant stooge? Or let her in on a simple technique that will make her feel like she's "in" on the secret?

Sometimes I even explain something I'm doing, something like Crazy Man's Handcuffs. (Rarely, but in the right situation with the right audience)
Some tricks are almost even more beautiful when you show people how they work (Penn & Teller style), & of course kicker if you have an unexplainable twist at the end.

But yeah I've also come to accept that not everybody likes magic... :/
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Worst thing you can do is to make it your mission to make someone enjoy something.
just move on and forget them.

learning to be a pro requires learning to leave and never think about that person again.
if you even give them 2 seconds thought the next day, there's more to learn about being a performer.

Like a comic after a show with a bad crowd. Just forget it and move on.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Some people have self-esteem issues and think they must know what's really going on. You won't solve their issues in a few hours, much less a couple of minutes. Move on.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1193 Posts

Profile of imgic
If Iím preforming for others than my group of friends, thatís whatI do...move on.

With the person thatís in my group of friends, I just do the routine and have fun. She, and her husband, had been badgering me afterwards, asking me questions, wanting to see again, trying to work the trick backwards. So I found that when Iím done with the trick, I excuse myself to get a drink. By the time I come back., the next round of trivia has started.

Of course itís now been over a month of no trivia..so havenít had to worry about it. On I right side, theyíll have all forgets what Iíve done in last, so all my material will be fresh again...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1193 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thanks again everyone for the insight, but itís been put to rest.

If not performing for friends, and somebodyís not interested, I move on.

If performing for my friends and sheís there, I have as much fun with everyone and avoid or deflect her questioning afterwards.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If it's people you know, that is slightly different.
you might come up with some very wacky impossible explanation and try to convince them it's done that way.

David Williamson does a routine like that where he shows how "it's done" and it's freaking hilarious and so ridiculous.
Very entertaining if you can find the video clip.

Come to think of it, I think it might have been done at a magic lecture.
As you can imagine people were probably taking notes... and each person stopped as they slowly realized he was just making 5h1t up.

do that and let us know how it goes.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Some people just have a problem-solving mentality. It sounds pretty normal to me. When magicians watch a magic performance, aren't they generally all trying to figure out the methods? In fact, isn't that why people take up magic in the first place?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Table hoppers & party strollers Ľ Ľ Not heckling, but not enjoying (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL