The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ What If? by ARTHUR (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Arthur was kind to share a review copy of What if? with me. This is a delightful, multi-phased routine with playing cards that seems utterly impossible. When I watched the performance, I had no idea how it was done. If you liked the very clever, multiple layers of deception in Overlooked, you will love What if? Full performance and detailed video instruction are provided on a 55 minute video download.

Brilliant, genius thinking here!

Highly recommended.

From the description:

"From the creator of the ĎUnderlookedí peek and the ĎOverlookedí which hand routine comes WHAT IF? The mentalism card act.

If you enjoy simple and self working effects that get inside and stay inside your spectators mind then be sure to get this instant download.

WHAT IF? is a 10-15 minute mental card act which displays your ability to read minds, influence peoples choices and create absolute mystery.

QUINNíS CARD

Not only will you be able to know what playing card your spectator has chosen, youíll be able to reveal a random name and place they are thinking of.

M AND M

Despite having free choice after free choice the performer predicts and influences what card the spectator chooses without touching the cards.

CASSIDY GOES TO LONDON

Despite having a total of 14 free choices the spectator randomly generates a number that unlocks the performers phone.

Alternative handlings and routining tips are discussed and a bonus effect is also taught."

http://mindofmagic.co.uk/products/what-if/
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11720 Posts

Profile of John C
So itís basically based on over and underlooked or is it a new method?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Completely different methods than Overlooked and Underlooked.

There are multiple methods at play in What if?, which create multiple layers of deception.

If a person appreciated Arthur's very clever thinking in Overlooked, they will see similar clever thinking here, but with entirely different methods.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11720 Posts

Profile of John C
Iím tempted
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I picked this up.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I appreciate Arthur's style of teaching. Far too often, I feel that many presenters talks "at" you as opposed "to" you. With Arthur I feel as though I'm just having a sit down with a good friend and talking shop. His conversational style and tone is refreshing and a joy to listen to.

As for the download itself, I think this is good value for your dollar. Many of the concepts used here will likely be familiar to those who are well-versed, but it's in the routining and subtle touches and the way they are layered and combined that make this interesting. This is the sort of thing I tend to enjoy because it's suitable for conversational and casual situations where one can relax and take their time with things.

I'm happy to see Arthur sharing more of his thinking and can't see anyone being disappointed with this. Don't go expecting groundbreaking miracles here; think of it simply as getting a set of routines that are nicely thought-out and suitable for casual situations. If you go into it with that mentality, you'll surely be happy with your purchase.
I'm frequently hit with enlightening in the middle of a brain storm.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3387 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Sounds interesting and it certainly sounds like a good price.

Are the effects modular or is this really meant as a whole set piece?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
They are presented as a whole set which flows very nicely, but each effect could also be presented by itself.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11720 Posts

Profile of John C
So I went for it. Wonít use it because it involves two aspects which I never use in card magic. As well as it mostly canít be reset easily.

There is one bonus routine which to me is more of something someone thinks up and doesnít really perform it as a worker. But itís also kind of a beginner level thing.

So while some may like it and may use it I wonít.

Anyway thatís my opinion.

I always ask would I buy it again? No I wouldnít if I knew these two aspects of it.

J
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, John C wrote:
As well as it mostly canít be reset easily.

That's why I specifically mentioned (twice) that it's intended for casual situations.

That's not intended as a snarky comment, John.
I'm frequently hit with enlightening in the middle of a brain storm.
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
135 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
Thanks Stunninger for starting this thread Iím glad you enjoyed your copy! And thank you Sudo for your kind words about my presentation, Iím still new to this game and Iím glad I didnít butcher the whole thing!

In terms of reset, the st*** can easily be reset. All the cards you need are out on the table. All one has to do is casually pick them up in order and drop them back on top of the deck. Once your comfortable with the order it can be easily done, although I didnít mention this on the download so I guess thatís my fault. This can easily be done from one group to another.

Hope that helps anyone whoís picked this up
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2019, Arthur T wrote:
Thanks Stunninger for starting this thread Iím glad you enjoyed your copy! And thank you Sudo for your kind words about my presentation, Iím still new to this game and Iím glad I didnít butcher the whole thing!

In terms of reset, the st*** can easily be reset. All the cards you need are out on the table. All one has to do is casually pick them up in order and drop them back on top of the deck. Once your comfortable with the order it can be easily done, although I didnít mention this on the download so I guess thatís my fault. This can easily be done from one group to another.

Hope that helps anyone whoís picked this up

This really is an amazing piece of mentalism. The first effect ends setting up the second. The second effect ends setting up the third. All three flowing seemlessly from one to the next. Each appears impossible. A name and place routine embedded in a card effect is something I've not seen before. Earlier I mentioned Arthur cleverly layered methods. I went back and counted no fewer than 7 methods/principles at play across all three effects.

Not sure the written description does the set justice. You really need to see the live performance to appreciate how powerful the effects are.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1500 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2019, Arthur T wrote:

Very good point. Essentially an instant re-set. All it appears you are doing is picking up the cards, which you have to do anyway.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3275 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I have this and it is great , I will do a full review very soon .
What I will say is that Arthur has knocked it out the ball park with his releases this year imho Gaz 🙂
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1258 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I agree with the people speaking highly of this. Itís a very well structured routine that builds to a great climax. And Arthur is a great teacher. Love the green on the books that matches your shirt and the tablecloth, Arthur. 😉
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
135 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
Thanks for kind words Gaz I look forward to hearing the full review.

Iím glad you appreciated all the subtleties Unmasked magician, regardless if it was for the effect or the set!

If anyone else is interested in picking this up and doesnít want to get it directly is also over at penguin

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12779
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ What If? by ARTHUR (5 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL