The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from Vienna (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Killintosh
View Profile
New user
Vienna, Austria
4 Posts

Profile of Killintosh
Hello to all enjoying a sip at the magic Café!

My name is Toni and I see myself as a coin magician. I live in Vienna for 8 years now and I love it here.
There is a magic club I try to visit as often as I can and meeting people with the same passion who as well have vast knowledge in all areas of magic is an amazing experience.
I am very glad I managed to finally register here and be able to be a part of this extraordinary forum.

I should mention, except coin magic, I like all kinds of close-up effects except playing cards. I started doing / learning magic 10 years ago and I started with only cards and few "bar tricks". I got quite proficient in handling a deck, but when I moved here I stopped for a long while. Around 2-3 years ago my passion for magic was relit, I started buying all kinds of props and I was trying to do everything I could get my hands on. Then, I saw Eric Mead on Fool Us doing Cylinder and Coins. I was amazed and I felt how this performance has resonated with me. Since then, I do 70% coins, 25% other (threads, color changing knives, linking rings, needle swallowing, 3 shell game and so on) and 5% cards.

As it happens, by chance I found out that I can register today. If it was any other day, I would've end my post with the extensive introduction, but now I would also like to ask a question.
My question might be suited for a different topic, but I still haven't familiarized myself with the forum and all categories and topics, so please forgive me. Also please point me in the right direction for future questions of this sort. So, to the point. I would like an advice, critic or any suggestion regarding my planned show for tonight (and the weekend).
Tonight I am attending out company party and for a first time in a long while I will be doing magic for 30+ people and I feel like expectations are higher than average.
I intend to do start with a short one coin routine while explaining how passionate I am about coins. I would then continue by doing the 4 coin vanish sequence in spectators hands found in the beginning of Metal 4 by Eric Jones. After that, I am considering gypsy thread (El Hilo by Javi Benitez) and Color Changing Knives (the way Pop Haydn does them). I was initially going to swallow needles as well, but I think it doesn't fit with all the other routines. I am not sure of the order I should do them all, if I should add something more, or do something else instead of something included. Should I include a card trick as well? If yes, which (as long as it is not something with "By Forces Unseen" difficulty, I probably know it and can do it)?

So yeah, I am looking forward to be a part of this forum. Sorry for the long post.

- Toni Mitev
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I think you have a good basic routine of stuff you already know well. Perhaps you could combine the Gypsy Thread with swallowing the needles--restore the thread, show it, and then swallow it. Swallow the needles. Pull them out on the thread. You could do the Invisible Deck for the card trick. It plays well and it plays big. It is easy to do. I think you are mostly there.
Killintosh
View Profile
New user
Vienna, Austria
4 Posts

Profile of Killintosh
I really appreciate the tip. Also as a newcommer having a reply by a magician I truly admire is a big deal for me. I've learned a lot from you and love your style and aproach to magic!

Now that you've mentioned invisible deck, I took it as a sign that I have to perform my "Quantum Entangled Decks" trick. I will post in a separate topic to find out if my idea is new or not (probably not).
My only doubt is what should I end with, but I guess I can experiment tonight and try something new this weekend. So far I decided on One Coin Routine > 4 Coin Vanish > Card Trick > Color Changing Knifes > Gypsy Thread > Needles.
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Welcome Toni to the magic café forum. Pop is highly respected and I would say a legend. I would practice what he says just so you can tell people Pop Haydn helped with this routine!!!
Killintosh
View Profile
New user
Vienna, Austria
4 Posts

Profile of Killintosh
Hi TomB! Yes, he sure is. I bought myself the 3 shell game and the knifes only because I've seen how he performs with them and learned from him.

In regards to my performance yesterday evening, it was great. Wasn't perfect, but I sure entertained the people there. What I ended up doing was to appear 3 coins with flash paper, disappear them into the candle flame. From there I transit to vanish coins from spectators hands, where the only issue is, how to vanish the last one. Maybe I will ask in a different topic. I followed with gypsy thread and then swallowing needles. I ended with color changing knifes and people really enjoyed it. I was pressured by time so I didn't do a card trick.
Thanks for the support and the really good tip from Pop Haydn to combine the thread with the needles. It worked perfectly.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You should work out a miser's dream for the stage.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Killintosh,

Sounds like you have a nice varietal repertoire.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from Vienna (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL