The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..30~31~32 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I took the plunge on this one. I like that they are regular looking dice. It concerns me a bit that the dice won't last forever and I can't replace the batteries. Hopefully I get many years out of it.
KJ
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Just performed this tonight at the new years eve show... fantastic... no problem at all, I kept on all night and worked like a charm. I already got my money back! Reactions where great!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks for this encouraging post. I am confident that I will get my money's worth.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
I find the naming of this a bit odd.

The routine I would use for Anverdi's "Mental Dice" can't be performed with this release, as it a parlor routine that relies on having a parlor sized die.
But if Murphys eventually decide that there is a demand high enough to release Anverdi's "Mental Dice" (the real one)... then what are they going to title it, to separate from the new mis-labled release? They can't likely use the item's real and actual title, as that would confuse those who want the mis-labeled release. So they would have to come up for a new title on the original.
All that mess, just to pull a fast one on Marc Antoine.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Out of interest, why is it a fast one? Surely Antoine is using the title without permission if the anverdi original was called mental dice?
I've asked to be banned
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, IAIN wrote:
Out of interest, why is it a fast one? Surely Antoine is using the title without permission if the anverdi original was called mental dice?

If they've had the rights to Anverdi's works since 9 years back, there would be loads of more interesting items to introduce the new line with.
The Surprise Box, the bottles, the various liquid effects...
Yet, they pick a moderately uninteresting item. But instead of actually producing it according to Anverdi's original, in parlor size, they instead duplicate Antoine's evolution of the piece, and then pretend like that isn't exactly what they've done. And the timing for it is when they can't get Antoine's evolution to the price they want.

If routines created for Anverdi's Mental Dice can't be performed with Murphy's release, then is it really Anverdi's Mental Dice? Nope.

So what's next? I would like to see The Surprise Box becoming available again. But based on this, we can assume they will not produce it until someone else first comes up with an evolution to it, and then they will rip that off, instead of doing the development work themselves.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It does seem bizarre that both items of a very similar nature have the same name .
That for one doesn’t seem right and it’s also very confusing for us all Gaz 🙂
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, TStone wrote:

The routine I would use for Anverdi's "Mental Dice" can't be performed with this release, as it a parlor routine that relies on having a parlor sized die.

One can convert any small (16 to 25mm) electronic die used for magic into a parlor size Die. Or into a Cube (number/color/ESP/Photo vision). HOW? . . . . It's simple!! Smile

Place the recently released 16mm "Mental Dice" by Anverdi in a hollow cube of your choice (i.e. size & material) by using foam type double sided tape. Or embed the Mental Die in foam/sponge . . . and Waala . . . you have a Parlor size die . . . . not just one, but . . . . THREE!! Smile Smile

IMO the best cubes for such purpose are the Acrylic ones - the 2/3.5/4inch photo cube.

Enjoy!

Smile
P.S. And HERE is a dice I made almost 9 years ago (using different technology). Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, Ustaad wrote:
One can convert any small (16 to 25mm) electronic die used for magic into a parlor size Die.

Or you could build it from scratch. So what's the point of this release?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think they've picked the right item for the market. Dice are popular but high end prices. If the name used originated by Anvendi, then the title belongs to him. Anyone using the name otherwise is riding the association, surely?

And the change to regular dice is a logical thing too. Society has changed, what was once accepted "just because" is no longer quite the same. Can that be seen as progression?

The Antoine one, is using the Anvendi name, uses a weird wooden box and you have to send them back too (from what I gather).
I've asked to be banned
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
Society has changed, what was once accepted "just because" is no longer quite the same. Can that be seen as progression?

When other people come up with evolutions on old items, they don't usually claim it is the old item, unless something shady is going on.
When Larry Jennings published "Ambidxterous Travellers", he did it under his own name and with his own title. He didn't claim "This is the Dai Vernon original!"

This is comparable with: They saw a modern Rolls Royce, duplicated it with all the modern finesses, and then claim it to be the old Ford Model T to avoid criticism for nicking Rolls Royce's work.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2019, Platt wrote:
Message from other thread. I didn't even realize there were two. Very confused:

I've read about half of this thread and still can't make out with certainty the lineage of this effect. It appears that:

1. A guy named Tony Averdi created the first version of this in the 70s.
2. Murphy's bought the rights (in the 90s? Is Tony still with us?)
3. My old friend Craig Filicetti put out an enclosed/examinable single die version in the 2000s
3. A guy named Marc-Antoine put out a 3 dice version in 2017 which is now discontinued (at least at Penguin)
4. Murphy's re-released Marc-Antoine's version as "Mental Dice by Tony Averdi" a few months ago with the bonus of it being rechargeable (is Marc-Antoine connected to this?)
5. Saturn Magic just now re-released Marc-Antoine's version with the option of one die and thumper.

Do I have this right? Thanks.

Murphy's bought the rights to Anverdi's creations in September 2010, not 1990s.

Marc Antoine is NOT connected to Murhpy's Anverdi Mental Dice release. HIs version is NOT discontinued, he still sells it on his own website and, reportedly, has other irmprovements coming. (Whether or not the Murphy's release took the wind out of his sails remains to be seen.)

Marc Antoine made some improvements to his Mental Dice a little bit BEFORE Murphy's released their version. That is the version that Saturn is now selling (but the same version is also available on Marc Antoine's site).

Mark

“Marc Antoine made some improvements to his Mental Dice a little bit BEFORE Murphy's released their version.“

This is not correct. Marc Antoines version was released more than a year before the Anverdi Dice.
He released his Mental Dice with Murphys btw....
His version was the first which used 3 dice simultaneously.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, TStone wrote:
I find the naming of this a bit odd.

But if Murphys eventually decide that there is a demand high enough to release Anverdi's "Mental Dice" (the real one)... then what are they going to title it, to separate from the new mis-labled release? They can't likely use the item's real and actual title, as that would confuse those who want the mis-labeled release. So they would have to come up for a new title on the original.
All that mess, just to pull a fast one on Marc Antoine.

You are totally right. It’s a real shame how they have handled Marc Antoine.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
I think they've picked the right item for the market. Dice are popular but high end prices. If the name used originated by Anvendi, then the title belongs to him. Anyone using the name otherwise is riding the association, surely?

And the change to regular dice is a logical thing too. Society has changed, what was once accepted "just because" is no longer quite the same. Can that be seen as progression?

The Antoine one, is using the Anvendi name, uses a weird wooden box and you have to send them back too (from what I gather).

It’s a privilege: you can send Marc Antoines dice back and exchange them for new ones after around 5 years of usage or when they are empty.
When this happens with the anverdi dice you can throw them away.
I still doubt Murphys will give you new ones after they’ve lost their power.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I still do not get the point why the size is of any importance... but probably I do not think enough like a magician... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't have the Antoine set, there seems to be several differences physically and mechanically...

Who is upset with you who and why please?
I've asked to be banned
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Does anyone know if the Anverdi receiver works with Promystic products

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The ProMystic receiver and the Murphy receiver are too different to be at all compatible or interchangeable.

George
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Whilst we are talking lineage it’s worth mentioning that eStooge released their 3 different colour dice version with visual display on a watch, magnet detection and a thumper shortly before Marc Antoine released his. Theirs were called mystic cube rather than Mental dice. Also the quality of their initial version was not on a par with either Marc’s or Murphy’s.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Whilst we are talking lineage it’s worth mentioning that eStooge released their 3 different colour dice version with visual display on a watch, magnet detection and a thumper shortly before Marc Antoine released his. Theirs were called mystic cube rather than Mental dice. Also the quality of their initial version was not on a par with either Marc’s or Murphy’s.

Mark

Did you own or saw their version?
Now it’s called GoDice and is available to the masses.
estooge is the worst company that could happen to our art...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..30~31~32 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL