The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11..15..19..23..27..30~31~32 [Next]
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
@hektormagic oh man that is a great idea! A which hand effect would be easy.

Use two gimmicked die - or one gimmicked die and one normal (which is how I would use it) as long as they were two contrasting colors. Have the spectator select a die for the left hand off the table. Then have them pick up the remaining dice with their right hand. "Make sure both dice are completely covered so that I can't see."

You'll have your answer easily before you turn back around. No need to come close to them ... you could do it from 40 feet away.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
So almost two years to the day Murphy's (Titanas) was on the Café excitedly announcing Marc's Dice... They produced a slick video to support it.

Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, Titanas wrote:
This is just amazing!
I had the chance to play with the dice when I visited Murphys and they are very responsive and the display makes it super easy to see both the numbers and the colors.
The price is also impressive considering that you are getting 3 dice.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60796

Best regards,
Titanas

Now we have "their version"... wow I would be careful if I was a creator to be honest in dealing with Murphy's. By the way the link above is no longer active for Marc's dice (of course).

I get technology changes and advances. But this feels wrong to be honest. I have a ton of respect for Anverdi and his creations but to use his name to claim everything is cool with no crediting needed is wrong. Even Anverdi was careful to credit when appropriate. A number of Anverdi's more commercially successful items (Suprise Box, Barking Dog, Ghost Hand Box) were based on a circuit developed by Peter Jefferies and Anverdi was careful to credit him in his book because it is the right thing to do.

Promystic in my mind definitely deserves credit for miniaturizing the technology and putting it in a small sealed die. Marc deserves credit for the 3 die combo with a color coded receiver. And lets be honest two years ago Murphys was in bed with his product and now they have their own and under cut the price. Great for the consumer but horrible for the creators for sure. And yes I reached out to Marc to get his take before posting.

The optics on this are bad... Has nothing to do with the quality of the product just the way it appears to have been handled.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
I think this looks great. When you break it down, you get each dice at $100 a pop, pretty hard to compete with that. The size and recharging ability is super nice, plus I'm personally a fan of the visual display, but agree that it would be nice if in the future they add a tactile method as well. Personally, I don't know if I would use all three dice, but you don't HAVE to use them. The way I see it, one would be my main, and I would have the other two as back ups. Obviously people are going to have preferences to their prefer brand of die, (PM, eStooge, Marc, etc) but I think that this is a great set for the price. I'm curious, will there be non gimmicked dice made available? Or is there a specific brand people could pick up, if they wanted to leave the die as a souvenir, etc?
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, J M Talbot wrote:

Promystic in my mind definitely deserves credit for miniaturizing the technology and putting it in a small sealed die. Marc deserves credit for the 3 die combo with a color coded receiver. And lets be honest two years ago Murphys was in bed with his product and now they have their own and under cut the price. Great for the consumer but horrible for the creators for sure. And yes I reached out to Marc to get his take before posting.

The optics on this are bad... Has nothing to do with the quality of the product just the way it appears to have been handled.

You bring out a very good and important point for consideration of our art and our creators. This is of deep concern . . . . but . . . . Who Cares!?

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of paw
I agree, How many have credited Anverdi... the Originator..
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
. . . . in today's world, greed for money is all that matters.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I am sure someone clever soon will come out with an App to go with this which can link to devices such as an apple watch. The watch display could easily show which numbers have been rolled whilst also being used as a thumper if wanted to be done without looking at the watch
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
So almost two years to the day Murphy's (Titanas) was on the Café excitedly announcing Marc's Dice... They produced a slick video to support it.

Quote:
On Dec 15, 2017, Titanas wrote:
This is just amazing!
I had the chance to play with the dice when I visited Murphys and they are very responsive and the display makes it super easy to see both the numbers and the colors.
The price is also impressive considering that you are getting 3 dice.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60796

Best regards,
Titanas

Now we have "their version"... wow I would be careful if I was a creator to be honest in dealing with Murphy's. By the way the link above is no longer active for Marc's dice (of course).

I get technology changes and advances. But this feels wrong to be honest. I have a ton of respect for Anverdi and his creations but to use his name to claim everything is cool with no crediting needed is wrong. Even Anverdi was careful to credit when appropriate. A number of Anverdi's more commercially successful items (Suprise Box, Barking Dog, Ghost Hand Box) were based on a circuit developed by Peter Jefferies and Anverdi was careful to credit him in his book because it is the right thing to do.

As mentioned above and by Marc's OWN admission, he is no longer supplying his product to Murphy's Magic. In his post on his Facebook Group Marc admitted it was a financial decision based on the wholesale price that Murphy's needed in order to carry and distribute the product.

Since Murphy's could no longer get Marc's Mental Dice, it's not surprising they decided to develop their own. Particularly since Murphy's already owned the rights to produce products based on Anverdi's designs and ideas.

I'm a fan of Marc Antoine's product and I'm grateful he decided to make it and offer it to the magic community. But it is also clear to me that Murphy's has every right to do whatever they want with regard to Anverdi's designs and it's also clear that it was Marc that decided to stop selling to Murphy's.

Finally, let's face it, the new Anverdi Mental Dice offer features that Marc should have offered in the first place (such as wireless charging and automatically turning on the dice when the receiver is turned on). The Murphy's product is more advanced and it is priced more than $100 lower than Marc's product.

I'd probably feel a bit indignant toward Murphy's *if* they didn't already own the Anverdi product rights. Instead, as it turns out, Murphy's wasn't charging a license fee to Marc, they just needed a wholesale price that made sense for them and their dealers. Something Marc agreed to originally, but later changed his mind about.

Here's a question for you... Once Marc was primarily selling the product via his own website and only directly to certain magic dealers (cutting out Murphy's distribution), why didn't Marc lower the price of his product? The original price was set with Murphy's cut in mind. With Murphy's out of the loop, why not lower the price?

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
thegreatyonini
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of thegreatyonini
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Or is there a specific brand people could pick up, if they wanted to leave the die as a souvenir, etc?

I like the idea of giving out dice as a souvenir during special performances. I found a very similar standard looking die on Amazon (I am sure these are sold other places as well) that goes for about $6 for 12 dice. The brand is Chessex. These are the generally the right colors, 16mm rounded, and opaque, thus I believe they are spot on (no pun intended). Thus about $0.50 each which seems fair to be to given away, even if you give away 3 that is not breaking the bank at $1.50 total, especially if it is only for those very special performances. Here are the links:

Blue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011WHL4Y
White: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEFNP6
Red: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011WMADQ
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Do you think people are touched by being given a die as a momento?
I've asked to be banned
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of paw
Mental Dice by Anverdi will have "Give-a-way" dice as well as other inexpensive products to use with them.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Do you think people are touched by being given a die as a momento?

I wouldn’t have thought so. Lol.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, paw wrote:
Mental Dice by Anverdi will have "Give-a-way" dice as well as other inexpensive products to use with them.

Will one of those additional products be a vibration/thumper receiver?

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Here's a question for you... Once Marc was primarily selling the product via his own website and only directly to certain magic dealers (cutting out Murphy's distribution), why didn't Marc lower the price of his product? The original price was set with Murphy's cut in mind. With Murphy's out of the loop, why not lower the price?

Mark

I can answer that. You don’t set your price with Murphy’s cut in mind. You set it based on what the product is worth and then you make the trade off for volume. When I open up Totally Free Will to Murphy’s I will make penny’s on a copy after PayPal fees and conversion fees but they will shift a lot of copies compared to haw many I sell direct. So far I have sold around 25% of the print run. Just to break even I would have to sell around 400 copies through Murphy’s.

Direct sales will get me past the break even point and then volume sales through Murphy’s will make me a modest profit. Most creators are not getting rich selling magic. Murphy’s are good to work with but they have to cover shipping of the items to themselves and then in their price they have to leave the retailers a margin for profit. So they pay creators a fairly low price, but they also cover the cost of shipping to them, they don’t add a massive amount on when selling to the retailer which means the retailer has a decent enough margin to make a living whilst still holding stock ready for people to buy.

Now if a creator has a big enough customer base to make selling direct viable it makes perfect sense to sell direct rather than take the necessary hit. However if you priced for Murphy’s from the start your retail price would end up being too high for the market to bear.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Christopher Williams wrote:
I am sure someone clever soon will come out with an App to go with this which can link to devices such as an apple watch. The watch display could easily show which numbers have been rolled whilst also being used as a thumper if wanted to be done without looking at the watch

Christ, you're just giving away ideas for free! Should've kept them quiet and released a third go at the Mental Dice! Such a good idea Smile
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
101 Posts

Profile of How
Great visibility on the screens. Place device anywhere!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Magic Mark wrote:

"Since Murphy's could no longer get Marc's Mental Dice, it's not surprising they decided to develop their own. Particularly since Murphy's already owned the rights to produce products based on Anverdi's designs and ideas."

Hi Mark... will be my last post on this as I had my say but to say Murphys has the right to produce a product on their own if a creator no longer wants to sell to them is not really fair. Also the products today are so far removed from Anverdi's original specs (I also own his original die) it is unfair to think a blanket "Anverdi brush" covers the numerous innovations since then. Also unaware of any Anverdi release ever using multiple dice. I am an Anverdi fan and history would suggest he would be the first to credit others.

Ustadd is correct that ultimately most could care less but some of us still do.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
101 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Christopher Williams wrote:

An app would be great. I can foresee this also.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
101 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, paw wrote:

Will one of those additional products be a vibration/thumper receiver?

Mark

I was wondering the same kind of like real die but I don’t think so.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Magic Mark wrote:

"Since Murphy's could no longer get Marc's Mental Dice, it's not surprising they decided to develop their own. Particularly since Murphy's already owned the rights to produce products based on Anverdi's designs and ideas."

Hi Mark... will be my last post on this as I had my say but to say Murphys has the right to produce a product on their own if a creator no longer wants to sell to them is not really fair. Also the products today are so far removed from Anverdi's original specs (I also own his original die) it is unfair to think a blanket "Anverdi brush" covers the numerous innovations since then. Also unaware of any Anverdi release ever using multiple dice. I am an Anverdi fan and history would suggest he would be the first to credit others.

Ustadd is correct that ultimately most could care less but some of us still do.

Well... I personally agree with your sentiment more or less but what you're arguing against here is essentially the FU2 debacle except using your argument for that, you would be pro FU2 LoL.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..11..15..19..23..27..30~31~32 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL