The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Murphy's Magic Anverdi Mental Dice are absolutely outstanding. The dice are indistinguishable from ordinary gaming dice. When clicked together or rolled on a hard surface they sound exactly like dice you'd use for Yahtzee or other games. There is absolutely NOTHING that is "suspicious" about them. They are so darn identical to ordinary dice, magicians will need to take care that they don't accidentally misplace them or that someone doesn't grab one as a souvenir.

I've posted 11 high quality photos of Anverdi's Mental Dice to my photo website here:

https://www.thephotobooth.net/Magic/Anve......-T5bfdZ/

The gallery is password protected (and hidden from search engines). The current password is: Iwant2C

Please note that I will be changing that password sometime on Saturday, December 14, 2019. If the above password does not work, sent me a PM to request the new one. I won't be posting the password publicly after the first 24 hours or so.

A note about my photos.... The first 8 photos were taken using studio strobes. In order to get the numbers on the receiver to show up in the photo, I turned off the strobes (and just used incandescent lighting) for the final 3 photos. That's why there's a slight difference in the color of the dice in the last 3 photos. The first 8 photos are the most accurate with regard to color. (All photos have been manually white balanced.)

I am very very pleased with my purchase. Thank you, Murphy's Magic!

Mark

Great photos 😀

Why in the last photo is the display showing p91
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, rowland wrote:
Why in the last photo is the display showing p91

Battery charge?
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, ferrissteve wrote:
I just hope that it doesn't get overused and blasted all over youtube in the coming weeks.

I think that this has already happened and that is a reason for me to distance myself from these dice ...
which in themselves are very successful. Similar happened with the predecessor who also revealed the trick
principle in his advertising videos 👎 which for me is open betrayal of the magical guild. Here it is only
about the marketing of a product to earn money but no longer about well guarded surprises.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Yes, the P.91 displayed is the battery level of the receiver. That's 91%. It only displays for a brief second or two so I had to be quick to grab that photo. After the power level for the receiver goes away you see three dashes. That's when you start shaking the dice in your hand to turn them on too. As each die turns on, its power level is briefly displayed on the receiver too. You might see 8. 7. 8. That would be 80-something% for the red die, 70-something% for the white die and 80-something% for the blue die. The power level for the dice are just a single digit. You know it is a power level being displayed because of the dot after each number.

Some of you had trouble entering the password to view my photos. Case is important when entering the password. The easiest way to do it is to copy & paste the password.

The missed attempts were from all over the globe. The U.S. (Laguna Niguel), UK (Ashington & Blackwood), Norway, Thailand (Bangkok), and Switzerland (Engleberg).

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Although, beyond my budget right now, these look really cool and se*y. Think I'll get them eventually - sooner than later.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Magic Mark you have been fantastic on this thread .
It’s people like you that the Café is all about , you have been so helpful you’re a star Gaz 🙂
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Magicalos wrote:
Been playing with mine a little...so cool!!!, packaging as well!! cant wait to do the dream lunch effect...thats gonna floor people I suspect..all in all VERY satisfied with my purchase

Like the Dream Lunch effect as well, where/how do you plan on concealing the receiver during the routine?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
That’s why I much prefer a thumper in my sock like I have with my real die Promystic .
However if I had these I would Velcro the back and attach that to a old card box in my outside suit top left pocket .
I used a similar reader with open perceptions Cesaral magic and it works a treat Gaz 🙂
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
I had to buy this. So well thought out and implemented.

the dice, the accuracy, the speed, the quick wireless long lasting charge, easy to check power levels, the reasonable price point. etc.

i don’t see many products that check all the boxes
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
If you don't want to palm this or put it in your coat you can, if you have a case, put it inside your case. Then as you go to the case to get a pen and a paper look at the reader. That is the way I performed this with the other version of this effect. I used a dry erase jumbo card and dry erase marker. If I wanted to repeat the effect I just asked the spectator to roll the dice again and as I went back to my case to get a cloth to erase the first prediction I again looked at the reader.

Ron
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, JanForster wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2019, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, paw wrote:

I agree, How many have credited Anverdi... the Originator..

As we’ve already found out, Anverdi isn’t the originator.

Now that it is quite clear that Tony Anverdi is not the original creator of an electronic dice used for magic/mentalism purpose, we can now happily put this issue to rest.

OK, to the best of my knowledge and understanding, the thought of creating a completely sealed miniature (16mm size) electronic Dice with a built-in rechargeable battery was first brought to us by Craig Filicetti of Promystic.

For quite some time nobody could beat the fully sealed dice with a built-in rechargeable battery by Promystic. Then Marc Antoine brought to us the 3 Dice version which could read the 3 dice simultaneously on a 3 digit digital readout. However, IMO, Marc Antoine's fully sealed dice is a copy of Craig's idea.

Now comes the 3 Dice version from Murphy's with a name stamp of Anverdi. By now we all know that this version is a copy of Promystic and DodyMagic. Won't it be prudent for us to ask Murphy's as to why Promystic and DodyMagic were not credited? Rather, on the contrary, Paw from Murphy's was insisting that others should credit Anverdi - I ask for WHAT?

IMO such hypocrisy from a giant distributor of magic props (Murphy's) must not be taken for granted. Rather I feel that Promystic and DodyMagic don't only deserve to be credited but they both need to be suitably compensated by Murphy's Magic for their intellectual creations.

Just my thoughts please.

Smile

Amen. Nothing to add.

Don't get me wrong, but as an owner of PM's really expensive RD (rechargeable, super good and so reliable... no fails in almost 6 years) which I bought more than 5 years ago (and in those days they have not been many users of it, for some time I was one of only three guys in Germany using it...)you don't feel really well. I didn't mind to pay a lot for it. It was something exclusive, and it was kept out of hands of kids, kids with no knowledge or any performance experience. It was not a toy.

In addition you can expect soon thousands of users who will play the plain trick to death. I was using the dice in just one (and only one!) routine; the dice itself was not important at all, just a tool for a non-verbal communication between a couple... and at the end they got the dice (after a sw...h of course) as a little gift (packed in a small transparent plastic bag with my name and address on it) for trying or training more at home...

I remember also well some users in the past asking for a big shell to put in the little dice, to make the dice bigger, easier to use on stage. That was already horrifying... people using the dice without thinking about it, giving the dice an importance you never should... all that will increase now.

And now add the "GoDice", coming soon... as I write, I see that they collected already the sum of 206,331 Dollar on kickstarter (goal was 25,000 Dollar), they got already 2058 supporters...

For me, the dice or the use of THIS dice, although so unimportant in my routine, are dead as I do not use toys as gimmicks in my show. I feel sorry in particular for Craig of PM, he doesn't deserve it. But I will continue and replace it... the replacement is almost ready, following Al Baker's advice: Look around what others do and what many of them do - turn away and don't do it.

And for now, I will leave this children's playground. Jan

Agreed Jan. That’s one of the points I was making. Unfortunately when this type of tech gets too cheap, everyone on the block with have it. There’s also this apparent belief that more dices equals more effects which equals more amazement. Nothing could be further than the truth. It makes the prop too central to the routine.

Well, whatever. When someone does a show and someone says right on stage, “Aren’t the dice just sending you a signal?” because virtually everything is capable of doing so these days, then maybe we will get it. Yeah, this stuff might pass for another year or so, but soon enough it will be completely transparent, especially to anyone under 40. You may not believe me but it is already the case depending on where you are.

The point of GoDice was not just how common this technology is becoming but how cheap. When you can get six dice for under $100 (!) how long until you can get a single die with whatever type of receiver for $50? The true manufacturing cost is now well under $20. Every magician/mentalist will have one and I just don’t want to do what everyone else is doing.

Why any of what I’m saying is considered “negative” I don’t get. I’m not insulting anyone. As I said, I have an electronic die (PM RDR) and use it here or there so I’m in the same boat with everyone else, I’m just choosing to jump from what I think is a sinking ship or at least be realistic about the future of such gadgetry.

Anyway, I thought this forum was to discuss the relative merits of buying a particular product, which is all I’m doing. But since it’s considered negative, I’ll go back to not visiting this site as there seems to be little worth discussing here these days (and that IS being negative!).
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Size wise, here is how the Anverdi Mental Dice and Marc Antoine Mental Dice compare. Anverdi dice in the front.

Much larger versions of the same two photos:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Tdnb......D-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ddcF......v-X4.jpg

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
At the risk of "everyone will do it", I am sharing my favorite Mental Dice routine. The props are just the 3 colored dice and 3 plastic party cups that are numbered 1, 2 and 3. (If you are at a party you can grab some clean cups and number them right in front of the spectators.)

I begin by explaining how we will play the game. My patter goes something like this: "In a moment, I will move a distance away and turn my back. Please follow the instructions that I give to you and maybe we can have some fun."

First, I demonstrate that rolling the dice results in random numbers. I let the spectator roll them too, just so they are assured that the numbers are completely random. With that, I turn and walk a few feet away. With my back turned, I continue:

"Please select any one of the three dice, any color you like, and place it inside cup #1. Shake the cup about and then invert the cup down onto the table so the cup is covering & hiding the die. Do this quickly so that even you do NOT know the number that is facing up on the die."

When the spectator has finished that first step, I continue... "Now select one of the two remaining dice, again, any color you like, and place it inside cup #2. Do the same thing you did with cup #1 and invert cup #2 next to cup #1. Be careful you don't knock over cup #1."

When he/she's finished... "Now take the last die and place it in cup #3. Shake it up and invert it next to cup #2."

When the spectator says he/she is all set, I turn back around and move back to the table. While my back was turned I, of course, glimpsed the receiver and made note of which color die was moving for each cup and what final number was displayed for each. For purposes of the following patter, let's assume that the spectator ended up with:

Cup #1: White die with 6 showing
Cup #2: Blue die with 2 showing
Cup #3: Red die with 5 showing

My patter continues: "I'm going to attempt to read your mind. You know which color die you put under each cup. One at a time, I'm going to try to pull that information from your mind. Let's start with cup #1. Please don't let on if I am correct or not. There's much more to the game so please don't say anything until we remove the cups in a few minutes." After appropriate looks of concentration on my face (throw in as much theatrics as you feel is appropriate) I announce that the White die is under cup #1. I continue to cup #2 and name the Blue die there. Then announce that leaves the Red die under cup #3.

My patter continues: "Okay, hopefully I got those colors correct, we'll check in a moment. Now let's take the game to an even more challenging level. It was relatively easy for me to read your mind for the colors because that is information that you know. You chose which color to put where. However, nobody in the room knows what number is facing up on each of those dice. THAT is what I will try to divine right now. Again, we'll start with cup #1. Your mind told me that it contains the White die." I then get looks of intense concentration on my face as I stare at cup #1. "I am sensing the number 6. So cup #1 is the White die with a 6 facing up." I DO NOT REMOVE THE CUP YET.

I move on to cup #2 and repeat.... "Okay, your mind told me that cup #2 hides the Blue die." More intense concentration... "I am sensing the number 5 [I intentionally name the number of the die under cup #3]. No... wait! I am definitely sensing the number 5, but it is not under cup #2. The number 5 is under cup #3! My mind is getting ahead of itself." More intense concentration.... "I've got it, I'm sensing the number 2 under cup #2. So, cup #2 is the Blue die with the number 2 facing up." I DO NOT REMOVE THE CUP YET.

Cup #3..... "I am still sensing the number 5. Cup #3 contains the Red die, so it's Red with a 5 facing up."

"Let me recap... I believe cup #1 contains the White die with a 6 showing, cup #2 contains the Blue die with a 2 showing, and cup #3 contains the Red die with a 5 showing." I then repeat it one more time, pointing to each cup as I say it. [Pointing to cup #1] "White 6." [Pointing to cup #2] "Blue 2." [Pointing to cup #3] "Red 5."

"Are you ready to see if I am correct? Okay, here we go..." I instruct the spectator to lift cup #1. Just before he/she lifts the cup I say: "White 6!" As the cup is lifted it has ALWAYS resulted in some oohs and ahhs. Then I instruct the spectator to lift cup #2. I say "Blue 2!" just before the cup is lifted. Usually the crowd has stunned looks on their faces about this point. Finally, "Please lift cup #3." I say "Red 5!" just before it is lifted. This is usually the point where someone says "No f---ing way!"

I LOVE performing this routine. Glimpsing the receiver is a piece of cake because I do it with my back turned. For the Antoine Mental Dice receiver I kept the card box in the breast pocket of my shirt. I only needed to lower my head a little bit to read it. I may or may not put the Anverdi receiver in a card box. I need to experiment a bit.

Yes, this routine requires a bit of memory work to remember what is where once you've turned back around. The receiver can be glimpsed again (if necessary) but the most important thing you have to remember is the order in which the dice were selected. I just keep repeating to myself in my mind (per the example above), White 6, Blue 2, Red 5. If you can remember that kind of order for a few minutes you are all set.

This type of longer and (IMHO) quite powerful routine cannot be performed with just a single die.

Mark
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, ferrissteve wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Magicalos wrote:
Been playing with mine a little...so cool!!!, packaging as well!! cant wait to do the dream lunch effect...thats gonna floor people I suspect..all in all VERY satisfied with my purchase

Like the Dream Lunch effect as well, where/how do you plan on concealing the receiver during the routine?

not sure so far just messing with the dice ive had in in my jeans pocket enough so I can see it, not one person has been suspicious....possibly the same for dream lunch not sure yet, working on gathering some blank cards (the proper bicycle double blanks should arrive tmw from amazon but in the meantime I'm gonna go get some index cards to make a ghetto version to perform for some friends tonight) and some glossy double sided paper, I'm hoping staples will have what I need...well see
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
@Mark
That simple routine using cups! Love it!
I’m heading to a holiday party this evening.
Wish I had these now.

I ordered last night.

Thank you for your updates and ideas.

Awesomeness!
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Im supposed to get the package today. Saturday, but getting the " in transit arriving late BS from tracking info.
shipped from Penguin on the 11th and this is the 14Th.
I've ordered over 100 times from penguin and Priority mail always arrives in 2 days. CA to WA state.
I wasted time waiting for the package before going to work today as I don't like to leave packages on doorstep
due to package thieves.
I'm sure some of you guys have been in this boat :-(
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
That’s the beauty of the receiver in the top breast pocket you can glimpse it any time all of the time without being caught Gaz 🙂
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
With my one real die from Promystic nearly 10 years old now and never ever failed I give an exact matching die away at the end so there is not a chance they think it’s
electronic .
Also it’s not these massively bright colours which don’t look as regular to me so I prefer mine all day long .
Also less is more so using 3 dice is guilding the lily a bit me thinks . If you can do it with one of course you can do it with three .
Also mine works 100 ft away and is probably my single best investment in magic Gaz 🙂
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
With my one real die from Promystic nearly 10 years old now and never ever failed I give an exact matching die away at the end so there is not a chance they think it’s
electronic .
Also it’s not these massively bright colours which don’t look as regular to me so I prefer mine all day long .
Also less is more so using 3 dice is guilding the lily a bit me thinks . If you can do it with one of course you can do it with three .
Also mine works 100 ft away and is probably my single best investment in magic Gaz 🙂

no offense but that's also 899$ for one die, this was under 300$ for three and you can use 1,2,or 3 of them at any given time.... that's a good idea to give away matching die/dice depending on what trick you are using these with!!, which for the dream lunch effect you could give away the receipt and a matching die....while these work good from 30 ish feet (i havent tested mine yet) but are you really going to go 100 feet away for a trick?...again not trying to bust your balls or anything here....
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, AJ MAJIC wrote:
Im supposed to get the package today. Saturday, but getting the " in transit arriving late BS from tracking info.
shipped from Penguin on the 11th and this is the 14Th.
I've ordered over 100 times from penguin and Priority mail always arrives in 2 days. CA to WA state.
I wasted time waiting for the package before going to work today as I don't like to leave packages on doorstep
due to package thieves.
I'm sure some of you guys have been in this boat :-(

Been there, done that, far too many times but almost always via UPS. USPS has been far far more reliable. Sorry your package is taking so long.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL