The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
E is teasing this on their social...this was the trick that had everyone talking at Magic Live.

You have to hunt down the link on their website...but to save you the trouble, here you go:
https://www.ellusionist.com/optix-by-tobias-dostal.html

Sorry E if that spoils the fun...but looks to be a very cool effect.
Harley Remington
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Harley Remington
The accent and the screams made it difficult to understand the dialog, so I don't know what it was I was looking at. Apparently it's amazing, though.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7876 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Clever use of a d’lite.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3685 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I have no idea what I just watched. Anytime there’s a “pre-order now and save $” sale, that translates to “reviews are going to be bad when this comes out so figure out a way to entice suckers to pre-order”. Ho, ho, ho!
no2ss
View Profile
Veteran user
California
311 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Took watching it three times before I understood what the effect even was. Seems like an odd way to promo it.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1740 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Description is terrible
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Clever use of a d’lite.

It's not a D-lite.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
What is it, the vanishing of the top of a phone?

Surprised by E's lack of ad copy for this "How to get hot chicks to film you!"
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Chamberlain wrote:

Surprised by E's lack of ad copy for this

It's a pre-order mate. We didn't start this thread. More details will be released when the trailer drops.

This is for those 'in the know' from Magic LIVE who have been begging us to release this early.
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
920 Posts

Profile of tenchu
I think this is absolutely great!

Mike
miltos
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of miltos
Congrats Pegasus,you are wrong!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7876 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, miltos wrote:
Congrats Pegasus,you are wrong!

Ok, I’ll change my statement to ‘can achieve the same with a d’lite
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I've heard about this thing before it had a name from other magicians that have hung out with Tobias. From what I heard, this thing absolutely blew every person that saw the effect in person away so the reactions in the trailer would appear to be accurate to real world reactions.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2382 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
There's clips of some very big names being very impressed from the convention. It's not really my style but I'm still going to get my hands on it and play with it.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2402 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
If I understand the effect correctly, the effect is that you hand them your phone to video you vanishing their phone. Then they realize that the phone they believed to be yours is actually their phone.

Sounds like if you could pull it off it would be mind blowing. However, I cannot imagine somebody handing me my own phone and not noticing that it is mine.
Harley Remington
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Now I'm sold.

PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Paul Rathbun wrote:
If I understand the effect correctly, the effect is that you hand them your phone to video you vanishing their phone. Then they realize that the phone they believed to be yours is actually their phone.

Sounds like if you could pull it off it would be mind blowing. However, I cannot imagine somebody handing me my own phone and not noticing that it is mine.

I took the bait and pre-ordered. I'm a fan of TD and appreciate his creativity. I do, however, have the same concern as you. That said, as someone commented on social, it's kind of like the quarter on shoulder. On video...not too convincing but in person should fly by like other bold moves.

I'm more interested in what's going on through the screen with the vanish. Maybe some AR thing?

Also, just speculating but perhaps you don't have to present it the way Tobias does (with the specs phone in their hand the whole time)?
gassaox
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of gassaox
Surely if their phone had a cover on especially a flip cover ,the spectator would realise straight away that it is their phone
Harley Remington
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Paul Rathbun wrote:

I think you've got it right. I suppose it helps if it's dark, and the spectator is drunk.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, gassaox wrote:
Surely if their phone had a cover on especially a flip cover ,the spectator would realise straight away that it is their phone

They don't. As you can see in the demo, their phone is white and hold - the gimmick is black and they STILL don't notice.

Wait for the full trailer - any colour phone, any case - THEY NEVER REALISE.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL