The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..12~13~14 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1315 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks, Pendleton! Really enjoyed reading that!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Silversleights04
View Profile
New user
Houston, Tx, United States
90 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Thanks for the honest feedback Pendleton. The jacket thing is a bit of a deal-breaker for me. Of course, I'm sure someone will conceive of a way to do the s**tch without a jacket, but for now, I don't think it will be me. Unfortunately, I only wear jackets sporadically for about 7% of the year here in Texas. When I work tables in a high-end restaurant I might wear one, but I still tend to avoid effects with major exposure from rear angles. I may miss this one for now and revisit it next winter!
Magic sees Magic.
Together we make each other better.
Do something amazing today.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
312 Posts

Profile of Havens
Would it work with an open shirt for cover or is it a ditch into the jacket?
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1315 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Yeah jacket unfortunately spoils it for me as well. I would only perform this socially and I never wear a jacket in my free time. If it turns out there is an awesome way to do this while wearing a hoodie or sweater I will jump in.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
847 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks Pendleton. Really helpful. Trust you will post your thoughts when you receive the gimmick.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Yeah jacket unfortunately spoils it for me as well. I would only perform this socially and I never wear a jacket in my free time. If it turns out there is an awesome way to do this while wearing a hoodie or sweater I will jump in.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to perform this with a hoodie.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Glad you all found the impressions helpful. Will definitely follow up once I have the item in hand and had a chance to practice with it.

As for the jacket...it can be a hoodie/open shirt I suppose...as long as there is a motivation to reach in to it. In the demos, Tobias reaches in to the jacket to seemingly grab his phone. If your hoodie or open shirt is something that could seemingly have an inside pocket to hold a phone ...or at least convince your audience that this is where your phone is kept, then you are fine.

I hope that makes sense...
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1236 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Ha! I've only watched a little bit so far, but it's clear he's a mad genius. Can't wait to put the time into this. I really like it so far, and I have a feeling I'm going to love it.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
312 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
Glad you all found the impressions helpful. Will definitely follow up once I have the item in hand and had a chance to practice with it.

As for the jacket...it can be a hoodie/open shirt I suppose...as long as there is a motivation to reach in to it. In the demos, Tobias reaches in to the jacket to seemingly grab his phone. If your hoodie or open shirt is something that could seemingly have an inside pocket to hold a phone ...or at least convince your audience that this is where your phone is kept, then you are fine.

I hope that makes sense...

Thanks! That’s interesting, I assume reaching into a trouser pocket - even if it’s a back one - wouldn’t work?
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ Without having the gimmick and practicing in a mirror, I don't know how convincing it would look to go in to a pant pocket (front or back). It could be... I just don't know yet.

It's not a ditch though. And for sure, the way he teaches it with a jacket completely flys by. Doesn't look like a move. Out of a pant pocket...it may look like a move.

Again, unless I missed it, I am surprised that an alternative handling wasn't mentioned (or reason noted of why it is not recommended)....but that shouldn't take away from what a creative and stunning effect this is.

As Nathan said above, Tobias is definitely a mad genius!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4394 Posts

Profile of videoman
My speculation from the ad copy was that your own phone is never really in play, you only say that it is.
So if true, no actual switch is needed and no ditch would be required either.
You merely, thru proper choreography, convince the spec that you’ve taken their phone and handed them your phone while in reality simply handed them their own phone right back. While using the flashlight gimmick to misdirect and play the part of their phone. Then you “vanish” the gimmick and blow their mind.

So maybe a ditch of the gimmick at some point but I presume the gimmick is such that it can be concealed and ditched while all attention shifts back to the spec.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
876 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I just finished the videos from E. This is a worthy and righteous prop my Brethren! D-Lite, meets Now-You-See-It. Great teaching, moves and thought went into this. Almost no pocket space. This is an always with you item. The light part has choices. You can flash it like taking a redeye reduction flash. You can keep it on steady or pulse. Can't speak for the construction until I have it but the video shows the product and to me this cannot be made badly. It should be fine for all of us. The Jacket issue is not a problem from what I can see. Easier with a jacket but I think you can do this without a coat and use your back pocket. I'd say from my experience with similar vanishing items on the market that 180° is stiff. Probably 150° but as most know . . . take two steps back just before you vanish and you increase the field of view and reduce the angle issues. I love what I see and would call this revolutionary. More once I get this in my hands but again, seeing the video makes me believe it is constructed very well. Not much to go wrong but quite a lot packed in here to a tiny prop that appears big and solid when needed. Note that the battery info says 1 hour charge gives 2 hours of continuous light. Effectively one charge will last a week of table hopping nonstop. That's great news if even half realistic on the spec. Finally - the stunner of this effect is really cool and a seldom seen effect outside of card changing in spec hand or coin switching. The psychological subtleties here (looking at the video on the phone and ignoring what you are holding - especially - ) are amazing and will be employed by other works and effects. Very smart. Excited about this one!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1236 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, StarManager wrote:
I just finished the videos from E. This is a worthy and righteous prop my Brethren! D-Lite, meets Now-You-See-It. Great teaching, moves and thought went into this. Almost no pocket space. This is an always with you item. The light part has choices. You can flash it like taking a redeye reduction flash. You can keep it on steady or pulse. Can't speak for the construction until I have it but the video shows the product and to me this cannot be made badly. It should be fine for all of us. The Jacket issue is not a problem from what I can see. Easier with a jacket but I think you can do this without a coat and use your back pocket. I'd say from my experience with similar vanishing items on the market that 180° is stiff. Probably 150° but as most know . . . take two steps back just before you vanish and you increase the field of view and reduce the angle issues. I love what I see and would call this revolutionary. More once I get this in my hands but again, seeing the video makes me believe it is constructed very well. Not much to go wrong but quite a lot packed in here to a tiny prop that appears big and solid when needed. Note that the battery info says 1 hour charge gives 2 hours of continuous light. Effectively one charge will last a week of table hopping nonstop. That's great news if even half realistic on the spec. Finally - the stunner of this effect is really cool and a seldom seen effect outside of card changing in spec hand or coin switching. The psychological subtleties here (looking at the video on the phone and ignoring what you are holding - especially - ) are amazing and will be employed by other works and effects. Very smart. Excited about this one!

Agreed and well said.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
876 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Thank you Nathan Alexander! It's always nice to find out that there is someone out there in digitalland who feels the way I do on something. Hopefully this will encourage people to take the dive as supporting creative inventors is the lifeblood of getting new effects! And good stuff needs praising!
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Sreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
114 Posts

Profile of Sreidy
Very clever thinking and will certainly order out of curiously. It’s certainly a great lead in to other iPhone effects. Well done Tobias
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
847 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
....Hopefully this will encourage people to take the dive as supporting creative inventors is the lifeblood of getting new effects! And good stuff needs praising!

Given that the ad copy indicated that Tobias was offered $100,000 not to offer this effect to the magic community, a LOT of people better "take the dive" if he is to not regret his decision.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2350 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Agree with StarManager. Very clever and seems like it will be practical. Also the small footprint it great for having it on you when the right time comes up. The “switch. From the coat pocket is burnable on video which is amazing. To another pocket will probably require a little more attention manager but I think it would be doable. Look forward to the physical product.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4256 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, rosariorose9 wrote:
Quote:
....Hopefully this will encourage people to take the dive as supporting creative inventors is the lifeblood of getting new effects! And good stuff needs praising!

Given that the ad copy indicated that Tobias was offered $100,000 not to offer this effect to the magic community, a LOT of people better "take the dive" if he is to not regret his decision.

With how much I’ve heard someone make from shooting a video with them on a product years ago, I wouldn’t doubt creators with releases such as this make it in that ballpark.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, Havens wrote:

Yes, in the trailer (and during every performance in Vegas), he used an open shirt.

It's unwise to wear a jacket in the desert during summer, so Toby improvised and the s***l worked perfectly.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
312 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, Havens wrote:

Yes, in the trailer (and during every performance in Vegas), he used an open shirt.

It's unwise to wear a jacket in the desert during summer, so Toby improvised and the s***l worked perfectly.

Thanks, shirt sounds good! Is the gimmick manufacture exactly the same as the one people have reported in the video? With Stay Cool what I received wasn't of the same quality as the one in the tutorial - most likely due to reasons of bulk manufacture.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL