The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (124 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..16~17~18 [Next]
movemonkey
View Profile
Loyal user
Detroit, USA
210 Posts

Profile of movemonkey
I just practiced with the gimmick for 4 hours and here is my biggest issue with it : THE FINAL PRODUCT IS NOT THE SAME as Tobias prototype (the one he shot his instructional video with) I don't know if this is a manufacturing cost issue or something else, but an important feature has been removed.

Without exposing too much I would say : THE MAJOR difference is the LED shutting off AUTOMATICALLY with Tobias prototype. Which means when he does the vanish you don't have to worry about the light, the light turn off when it needs to be off, it is selfworking.

But with Ellusionist final product, you have to do a knacky move (at least it is a quite knacky move for me, a kind of "feel thing") with the knuckle of your forefinger to MANUALLY turn off the light before doing the vanish, which makes the whole thing quite knacky if you don't have the same hand size of Tobias... I mean if the on/off switch of your unit is not positioned naturally to your forefinger knuckle bone, you may have a hard time turning off the LED with a soft area of your finger...

Of couse I only played with it one day, maybe this needs much more practice than one day. Just wanted to say this is a lot of harder than the handling taught on the video.

Just my two cents...
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
The gimmick has the same functionality as his prototype. Press it once to turn on the light, and then when ready for vanish, hold it down and when you let go, light turns off.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, LankyHobo wrote:
The gimmick has the same functionality as his prototype. Press it once to turn on the light, and then when ready for vanish, hold it down and when you let go, light turns off.

That is correct.

I just rewatched the tutorial to see if that part was not clear but it was so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.

Our second shipment has now arrived so we actually have stock in the UK ready to ship on Monday www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/......tal.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, maklakmak wrote:
I don't have this trick but being the proud owner of a particular product put out by Jeff Stewart and Meir Yedid, I'm pretty certain I know how it works. What I don't understand is the concern about wearing a jacket. Surely, slipping Jeff Kaylor's 2.0 under the shirt would suffice?

The jacket or shirt isn't for ditching the gimmick, it's to enable the 'switch'. It's a beautiful move that still catches you out even when you know what he's doing. It could be done via a back pocket but is not as smooth or fooling.
Rooster
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Rooster
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, Saturn UK wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, LankyHobo wrote:

That is correct.

I just rewatched the tutorial to see if that part was not clear but it was so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.

Our second shipment has now arrived so we actually have stock in the UK ready to ship on Monday www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/......tal.html

Just put my order in this eve, looking forward to receiving/reviewing it!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
To Move monkey. I’m not expert with it, just got it but if you don’t press the button hard it won’t lock and will turn of just from releasing pressure. That’s how mine works
maklakmak
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
Thanks LankyHobo, I was concerned about the switch. I guess I'm just going to have to buy it and find out.
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
Regular user
USA
131 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Hey there,

Uploading my completely unbiased (I bought it with my own money) review to my YouTube channel either Monday or Tuesday! Don’t miss it! Smile

Consider subscribing here: www.youtube.com/c/TylerLunsfordMagic

Tyler
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Received mine today too.

It is a thing of beauty for sure. Better than the prototype shown in the video.

It will require practice though to look smooth as mentioned in the initial impressions. Nothing wrong with that. But I am nowhere near proficient with the gimmick and handling yet. And I look forward to putting in the time to get this right.

With that , just know you will need to get comfortable with opening the gimmick. Then getting it in position.

Then you will need to get comfortable with getting the light on and then off at the right time...not as easy as it seems depending on hand size as MoveMonkey mentioned. Which for me too, is a bit knacky in practice but I think with some work it will get easier.

From there, you will need to get proficient with putting the gimmick in to position once a specs phone is also in your hand...which takes some getting used to just on its own so with a phone added is much trickier. As Tobias notes, though, your covered during this time so all good. But just know it will take some getting used to.

I think the switch (thats not a true switch in the literal sense) with a jacket is pretty seamless. Some practice required there to get smooth but nothing too difficult.

I haven't quite nailed making it look seamless out of a front pant pocket yet (not mentioned in the video...this is just me trying to avoid the clothing restriction). It may not be possible. Or, maybe with more practice that will change...who knows. But with a jacket it is sure fire. Hoodie or open shirt too as long as you are okay with presenting to the audience that you are seemingly getting your phone out of it.

Anyway, this really is a revolutionary effect and ingenious gimmick. But at least for me, it will require a bit of work...and that's okay as it is definitely worth it.

I've been a fan of Tobias' creativity for some time but this has propelled him into a whole other league. Congrats to him on the release. And to E who were wise enough to produce this as thoughtfully and beautifully as they did.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
This will require practice, but in the good way, in that you want to practice it and get it down, working hard to earn the kinds of reactions you can get. Absolutely amazing effect and gimmick.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2711 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks, Pendleton. Great review again.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I am very surprised there was no credit given to the creators of the NOW-UC-IT gimmick, Jeff Stewart and Meir Yedid. This is precisely that gimmick, and NOW-UC-IT has been around for some 30 years. David Copperfield even used it in his Lear Jet tv special in the early 80’s. Optix is a wonderful effect, but credit where credit is due, please.

https://youtu.be/8rBHJkLjVz8
It's all in the reflexes.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
I am very surprised there was no credit given to the creators of the NOW-UC-IT gimmick, Jeff Stewart and Meir Yedid.

You must be new? Ellusionist has had a history of crediting issues.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Got mine, very happy, the gimmick is very well designed and made, I don't hink it will take long to get used to the handling, it seemed fiddly at first, but after just a few minutes of playing with it in position the get ready is very easy. I will def have a lot of fun with this. great product, great teaching. couldn't be happier.
thanks to saturn for getting this out to me so quickly.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Oh yeah, while we are at the 'credit due' stuff, I'm shocked that elusionist, jeff stewart and meir yeild all failed to credit du pont, its exactly that gimmick......
credit where credits due...
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Catweazle, I'm unfamiliar with Dupont's gimmick of this nature. Please do inform me. Thanks!
mantel
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with Dupont's gimmick of this nature. Please do inform me. Thanks!

If you are familiar with NOW-UC-IT, you are familiar with the gimmick. Dupont is just the company that created the material that the gimmick is made from.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I see. I didn't realize catweazle was just being sarcastic regarding my comment about the creators of Optix failing to credit the creators of NOW-UC-IT.
GeraintClarke
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of GeraintClarke
Quote:
Catweazle, I'm unfamiliar with Dupont's gimmick of this nature. Please do inform me. Thanks!

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92O3d4JZVNc

Just did a quick google.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2020, GeraintClarke wrote:
Quote:

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92O3d4JZVNc

Just did a quick google.

Reminds me of fickle nickle by John Cornelius.
Or thousand other methods that used a l**p...

Optix does offer more revolutionary content.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (124 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..16~17~18 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL