The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, Paul Rathbun wrote:
If I understand the effect correctly, the effect is that you hand them your phone to video you vanishing their phone. Then they realize that the phone they believed to be yours is actually their phone.

Sounds like if you could pull it off it would be mind blowing. However, I cannot imagine somebody handing me my own phone and not noticing that it is mine.

If the phones are of the same make (easy to do these days), you really wouldn't know the difference. Like if you're focused on the screen, I don't see how this wouldn't fly right by.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2402 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
If I understand the effect correctly, the effect is that you hand them your phone to video you vanishing their phone. Then they realize that the phone they believed to be yours is actually their phone.

Sounds like if you could pull it off it would be mind blowing. However, I cannot imagine somebody handing me my own phone and not noticing that it is mine.

If the phones are of the same make (easy to do these days), you really wouldn't know the difference. Like if you're focused on the screen, I don't see how this wouldn't fly right by.

I am not saying this wouldn't fly in the right circumstances. I just think with all the hundreds of phone cases out there that are different (and unique) that it may limit when and with who you can perform this for.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7874 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not saying this wouldn't fly in the right circumstances. I just think with all the hundreds of phone cases out there that are different (and unique) that it may limit when and with who you can perform this for.

However....

Wait for the full trailer - any colour phone, any case - THEY NEVER REALISE.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think this would still not be that big of an issue if you had directed them to pay attention to the screen on the phone.

Let's break down what's going on here a bit:

1) They are asked and conditioned to pay attention to the screen.
2) They need to look through the screen to witness the trick.
3) All attention is on what is on the screen.
4) When you focus on the screen, everything around the screen your mind more or less doesn't really register.
5) Try turning on a video on YouTube on your phone and watch the video, notice how the periphery of the screen blurs away? Notice how you've just now focused on the borders of the phone just to check if this is true and now what is on the screen blurs away when you focus on the edges/borders of the phone.
6) You're probably now trying to take it all in and notice how you simply can't? Either you get the periphery in focus or the screen in focus but it's basically impossible to focus on everything simultaneous Smile
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
I really had to watch the video twice to notice what happened.

Sorry but the Ellusionist site doesn't give any informations about the trick:
- Does it only work with iPhones?
- Can I perform it at daylight or only in darker surroundings?

Maybe someone can give more infos about OPTIX.
WALTHER
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2019, gitty wrote:

Same. I think the problem with this product is that it doesn't play well as a trailer or a video performance because as a person viewing the trailer what you are seeing and what is registering in your head is going to be drastically different to what a live audience/participant is witnessing. This is probably something that shows far better if the video was edited together to give the viewer the experience closer to what a participant would be experiencing. It definitely plays better as written copy as well because describing the plot would be pretty straight forward.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
It's just a teaser, guys. At the time I posted it, it was a hidden site/link. You had to really look to find it.

Details will be forthcoming I'm sure.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4701 Posts

Profile of RNK
E is really praising it in their ad with the advert of magicians wanting to buy the rights to it. I would think with the backlash of all the hyped ads that they wouldn't indulge in that so my thought is that this may be that good. We shall see. Toby seems to be a very creative person!

RNK
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
If Tobias handed me my own phone, with the video screen full on, and asked me to video him holding my phone, it wouldnít even occur to me that this is my own phone. They almost all look alike from the front anyway.

I was totally surprised at the climax, and thought it looked great! Super creative and psychologically clever, IMHO.

Seth
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2172 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Might as well do a silhouette routine it is as a lead in to this .....
Magicalos
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Quote:

id love to know if its iphone only as well?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4256 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, Magicalos wrote:
Quote:

id love to know if its iphone only as well?

A reply on Ellusionist on the Youtube comments says "With any phone"
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
New user
Germany
91 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
It's always the same with these overhyped preprepre-order effects to be sold in very limited batches perfectly knowing that the demand is way higher only to be able to announce that the corresponding stock lasted only for a couple of minutes or hours at most.

Such a pity considering that this effect may indeed be excellent if they would distribute it in a fair manner through all the major magic retailers worldwide with much more payment methods than Ellusionist currently does and of course with a stock that corresponds to the worldwide demand.

Instead of producing cinematic trailers hyping a certain effect that is available only limited for a couple of privileged fellow magicians why not distributing magic effects and props in the best interest of the prospective buyers via a broad retailer network instead of a single retailer who may call themselves lucky to exclusively sell this effect of what I'm still puzzling what I'm actually getting.
Consultthemind1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Consultthemind1
The premise of the effect I find somewhat interesting - which makes a change. Magic and Mentalism tend to revolve around the same old tired plots. Most of the time the methods created are not improvements on things time gone. Itís always nice to see an effect that has an unexpected revelation. This one is psychologically (in my opinion) is slightly disturbing for the spectator - which by the way is meant positively. I can imagine it would leave them questioning everything, which is often rare for magic or Mentalism to be able to gain that type of reaction with such little effort on the performerís part. It has them climb inside their own head and question everything they know about their own sense of reality. It would make a great opener to (in a nutshell) aptly make everyone understand and feel what magic should feel like, in less than a minute.

In terms of the effect, essentially what youíre looking at is a vanishing phone effect, with a twist kicker ending. Here is what the effect looks like (from what I gather from watching the video).

From the audienceís perspective -

You are surrounded by a group of people that want to see something incredible, you ask one of them to take out their mobile phone and hand it to you to borrow briefly. The audience openly see you press the button on their phone turning the flashlight on and they can openly see that their phone stays in full view the entire time. You remove your mobile phone from your jacket pocket, open the camera and hand it to the spectator to record a video of you doing something amazing with their (still in plain sight) phone.

You visually vanish their phone in-front of their eyes and everyone reacts at the fact youíve vanished the phone. Naturally, everyone is waiting for you to make the phone re-appear and itís not until you point to the phone theyíre holding do they realise that that they have somehow been holding it the entire time. Sending their brain into a loop.

To anyone thinking they will notice their own phone being handed back to them there is one interesting psychological subtlety in this routine - the light. Itís shining directly at you, it is a bright beacon that never flickers or goes out and is easy to follow and it is shining in your eyes obscuring your vision (not overly but somewhat). When you see your phone being pressed, Ďyour lightí coming on and then the performer pulls out another phone you wouldnít question it. The only way it could potentially be obvious is by the screen. Which Iím sure you could pool to find one with no identifying marks on.

Iím more impressed with the plot, the method is by the by.

It canít be any phone, it would need to be a phone with a flash light (which is the majority of phones these days).

Iím almost wondering where the effect goes from there, you end in a position thatís them reacting to their phone in their hand. I like the fact that they have the video to keep on their phone for later down the line with the dirty work cut out. Im just wondering (if I was a magician) where I would go from here.

Great idea though, Iím going to estimate the vanish is similar to an early ĎMiserís dreamí gimmick - The end positioning of the hands leads me to believe that is the only place this can end up.

FYI - Iím not affiliated with E or Tobias, I donít own this product have never seen this product - In-fact I donít perform magic so itís so far removed from what Iíd usually do I shouldnít be commenting. If Iím wrong about the effect or my view points itís unintentional, itís a case of estimation based on the available facts.

David.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
720 Posts

Profile of dduane
I love the plot, and I can see how from the spectators viewpoint it'a a fooler. The promo view gives it away, so I think it would be easy to do without buying the effect, which is unfortunate for the creator. I would feel guilty doing this without buying it, but I would not want to spend $40 on it either.

Dennis
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4701 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, dduane wrote:
I love the plot, and I can see how from the spectators viewpoint it'a a fooler. The promo view gives it away, so I think it would be easy to do without buying the effect, which is unfortunate for the creator. I would feel guilty doing this without buying it, but I would not want to spend $40 on it either.

Dennis

Actually $50.00 plus shipping!
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Which will soon go up to $60 apparently...
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7874 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Indeed. Itís 50 Bucks with the discount. More than happy to wait and never believe the limited supply crap that E always spout.
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
928 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
Quote:

Same. I think the problem with this product is that it doesn't play well as a trailer or a video performance because as a person viewing the trailer what you are seeing and what is registering in your head is going to be drastically different to what a live audience/participant is witnessing. This is probably something that shows far better if the video was edited together to give the viewer the experience closer to what a participant would be experiencing. It definitely plays better as written copy as well because describing the plot would be pretty straight forward.

Tobias has done it with my phone here in Berlin.
I own a iPhone 8 Plus with case and he totally caught me off guard with this.
I was blown to pieces after his performance and had shown this special video (on MY phone) to nearly every person I know.
That is what a spectator will do as well.
It felt totally natural and was one hell of experience for me.

The video is great but the reality even greater.
BTW I donít get anything by writing this.
Iam 100% convinced by this brainchild.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Itís certainly an interesting premise, albeit risky. Reminds me of a James Brown card under box type of cheeky misdirection-based tomfoolery. GREAT when you pull it off but certainly needs practice.

If I were in the market for a phone vanishing effect I would take the plunge. At the very minimum, props to the creator because I donít often see things that catch me off guard, AND the video was about as unedited as you can expect in 2019.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.59 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL