The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (124 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..16~17~18 [Next]
Rooster
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Rooster
Been playing with the gimmick today, it’s a great bit of kit. If you’re experiencing the “snap” from the closing of the gimmick on certain vanishes/changes, a lot of the time it is down to the execution of the vanish. If you’re making jolting/sharp movements with your hands you will probs get a “snap”(along with a possible flash of the gimmick). By dragging the gimmick in the correct positions you will negate a lot of the “snap”.

Anyways my review shall be up on Friday(search Roo’s Reviews on Youtube).
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
From the trailer, this is recommended for night time or darker environment venues?

I wonder why the audience doesn't recognize the discrepancy when the magician is holding a black phone when the spectator's phone is white, gold, or any other color than black? How is this addressed in the tutorial?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Tobias explains how to get around the phone color issue, but to be honest ... they never see the opposite side until it's over. Most screens today are edge to edge and they just arent paying attention and for all they know you might have the same color as they do ....

here is my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_ox1wpZMI
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Rooster, fast or slow, mine snaps just as loudly. I’ll have to play around with ways to deaden the sound.
It's all in the reflexes.
Rooster
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Rooster
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
Rooster, fast or slow, mine snaps just as loudly. I’ll have to play around with ways to deaden the sound.

Fair enough, I found that slowing the vanishes down and guiding with the thumb stopped the snap on one vanish and made it quieter on the others
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Anyone want one in the Uk mine is for sale as new £40 inc p&p
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
Regular user
USA
131 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Hey there!

I just posted a review of Optix as well! You can watch it below Smile

https://youtu.be/ukw03J2TOLk

Hope it’s helpful!
Tyler
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
The phone color issue is a discrepancy. The performer is holding the "spectator's phone", with flashlight, and yet, they see black even if their phone is white/gold/etc...

The phone they are holding is not an issue, but the one that vanishes.

Provided the effect happens too fast with flashlight blinding a bit, but the actual footage is on the spectator's phone and on scrutinized viewing will tip parts of the method.

Just something to think about when routining it.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2020, ash2arani wrote:
The phone color issue is a discrepancy. The performer is holding the "spectator's phone", with flashlight, and yet, they see black even if their phone is white/gold/etc...

The phone they are holding is not an issue, but the one that vanishes.

Provided the effect happens too fast with flashlight blinding a bit, but the actual footage is on the spectator's phone and on scrutinized viewing will tip parts of the method.

Just something to think about when routining it.

I really don't think this is an issue and I doubt people will notice - for example no one questions that Tobias switches on the flash light when the phone is in camera mode, which isn't possible on the iPhone at least. The flash light also covers so much and is so bright it feels like the phone is in shadow.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2711 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
One thing that strikes me is that I haven’t heard from anyone yet who actually tried it on an audience. Probably due to the fact it takes some practice first? But usually those stories pop up quickly. Looking forward to hear how it plays in the real world.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
See the review from Tyler a few posts up, here's the link https://youtu.be/ukw03J2TOLk
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2711 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks, catweazle.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Cant wait I should have this by Thursday.
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of bosami
In theory, one could (prior to purchasing the effect) experiment performing the steps involved in this effect with a spectator using a different premise. IE: (Borrow their phone, false switch their phone with yours, activate video, return their phone...etc) Just to see how easy it is/will be to hand them back their own phone. You wouldn't necessarily have a 'vanish' after that, but you could move into something else at that point. Before dropping the $$$ you would at least see how practical it is and how comfortable you are with the method leading up to the vanish. Essentially the trick is done once they have their phone back and are shooting the video.
...forever curious
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2020, bosami wrote:
In theory, one could (prior to purchasing the effect) experiment performing the steps involved in this effect with a spectator using a different premise. IE: (Borrow their phone, false switch their phone with yours, activate video, return their phone...etc) Just to see how easy it is/will be to hand them back their own phone.

The gimmick allows for a great retention of vision of "their" phone while the apparent switch occurs - you would not be able to replicate that without it, so I don't see that being an equal test.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2020, TuneHV wrote:
Quote:
In theory, one could (prior to purchasing the effect) experiment performing the steps involved in this effect with a spectator using a different premise. IE: (Borrow their phone, false switch their phone with yours, activate video, return their phone...etc) Just to see how easy it is/will be to hand them back their own phone.

The gimmick allows for a great retention of vision of "their" phone while the apparent switch occurs - you would not be able to replicate that without it, so I don't see that being an equal test.

Ah. Well, I didn't say it would be an equal test. It would require misdirection, and perhaps you may not need that with the actual effect. (Something we magi should have plenty of experience with, however.) The reviews I've watched indicate that there is a bit of 'boldness' required and you need to trust that when you're handing back their phone they believe it is your phone. To me, executing this is going to be the deciding factor on whether or not people actually use this.

But it is good to know that there is the retention of vision piece, so thank you.
...forever curious
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah. Well, I didn't say it would be an equal test. It would require misdirection, and perhaps you may not need that with the actual effect. (Something we magi should have plenty of experience with, however.) The reviews I've watched indicate that there is a bit of 'boldness' required and you need to trust that when you're handing back their phone they believe it is your phone. To me, executing this is going to be the deciding factor on whether or not people actually use this.

But it is good to know that there is the retention of vision piece, so thank you.

The gimmick makes this move relatively easy - when practicing in the mirror I can barely see the switch myself - the gimmick and light are literally all the cover you need. You could certainly practice the move though, the main thing to bear in mind is not flashing the back of the spec's phone when you take it out of your inside coat pocket. I also do this with a shirt like Tobias does in the trailer and surprisingly this looks completely natural.
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2020, Havens wrote:

The gimmick makes this move relatively easy - when practicing in the mirror I can barely see the switch myself - the gimmick and light are literally all the cover you need. You could certainly practice the move though, the main thing to bear in mind is not flashing the back of the spec's phone when you take it out of your inside coat pocket. I also do this with a shirt like Tobias does in the trailer and surprisingly this looks completely natural.

This is great. Thank you. I'm really on the fence here, but may not be for long.
...forever curious
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The boldness is the psychological block the performer needs to overcome within their own heads. Intuitively it would feel very blatantly obvious in the "there's no way that they do not notice the discrepancy here!" but in practice, it actually completely flies over their heads that there is a glaring discrepancy (glaring as in the worse case scenario is when let's say their phone is a white phone, etc.). Choreography and in terms of sleight of hand, none of this is particularly difficult.

If you become very self conscious and thus translates to how you are handling everything, then you will likely draw attention to the discrepancy for which there's a large risk of them catching you out on it, thus handling this with confidence is paramount.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
It's amazing how little people know about their own phone. They probably have no idea about the size of the lens or flash light position, or as I mentioned above that the flash light doesn't actually switch on in photo mode. There's also another subtlety that the spec believes the flash is on and is following this but when you pull your phone out (their phone) the flash is off which further convinces them it's a different phone. It really is brilliant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (124 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..16~17~18 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL