The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..12~13~14 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7874 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, MagicBrent wrote:
Yeah so I bought it but the download is only the tutorial. Thought I’d get to watch the tutorial in anticipation of the gimmick. I’m on an iPhone though. Anyone else get there’s?

That doesn’t make sense. Do you mean the download is the trailer? That’s what it’s advertised as IIRC.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I love the look of this. This is the type of weird, reality-bending experience that people will talk about for a long time. If you can’t understand that from the demo, I’m worried about your outlook on magic. If the quality is good and can be done as shown in the video, this would significantly weird people out for half a second.

If you saw Derek Delgaudio’s show “In and of Itself” I would say this trick is similar to the ending of that show. It’s half a second of reality bending craziness as you try to process what has happened. When you think back on it for two minutes, you may be able to discover what happened, but in that half a second, it makes you question the very existence of life as you know it and you experience a true child-like sense of wonder.

The people on that demo are experiencing real magic. Not clapping politely after a 15 minute story deck trick like Sam the Bellhop. In that moment, that IS magic.

Madison
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1316 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, MadisonH wrote:
Not clapping politely after a 15 minute story deck trick like Sam the Bellhop.
Madison

Thank you. I hate that trick.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
einhorn
View Profile
Regular user
London
179 Posts

Profile of einhorn
This looks SO good. it appeals to me because it makes use of something everyone carries. It is not like any other trick I have seen. It reminds me of a stage illusion but done close-up. The moment I saw this video of him doing it for a group at a magic convention I knew I wanted it and was SO delighted when it was released. Can't wait. Well done to the creator. Bravo.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, MadisonH wrote:
I love the look of this. This is the type of weird, reality-bending experience that people will talk about for a long time. If you can’t understand that from the demo, I’m worried about your outlook on magic. If the quality is good and can be done as shown in the video, this would significantly weird people out for half a second.

If you saw Derek Delgaudio’s show “In and of Itself” I would say this trick is similar to the ending of that show. It’s half a second of reality bending craziness as you try to process what has happened. When you think back on it for two minutes, you may be able to discover what happened, but in that half a second, it makes you question the very existence of life as you know it and you experience a true child-like sense of wonder.

The people on that demo are experiencing real magic. Not clapping politely after a 15 minute story deck trick like Sam the Bellhop. In that moment, that IS magic.

Madison

I remembered the ending for In and of Itself to be the Q&A... not half a second Smile
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
New user
USA
100 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Hello everyone,

I just posted something on my Instagram story (@TylerLunsfordMagic) you can ask questions you want the answers to (for the next 24 hours) about OTPIX and I will be answering them in my review!

Hope this can help you Smile
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:

I remembered the ending for In and of Itself to be the Q&A... not half a second Smile

Then you seem to be forgetting the big ending which occurred on stage and was over in half a second. Smile

Madison
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Greg Rostami wrote:
I think this is a VERY clever use of misdirection.
Having spectators focusing on the video on the screen, completely blinds them of the phone.

I'm sure that the vanish and reproduction is awesome and will produce immediate reactions of wonder.
Tobias is BRILLIANT in creating truly magical moments!

My only problem with this effect is, as cool and original as it is, when spectators backtrack, the only possible method IS the method.
They might not know when the switch happened, but they know it MUST of happened.

Greg R.

I agree with you completely, except one thing: backtracking magic tricks happens more often than we hope I reckon. People with a general knowledge of physics know you can't levitate Heidi Klum on AGT without her knowing and without any special apparatus or they know you can't walk through the Great Wall of China ... they know that something had happened that they missed. That's what creates the magic in their heads. Even if they know in the end of the routine that you had switched phones, they're still puzzled where the phone in the performer's hands went. Even if they look at the video a hundred times they wouldn't know. Long story short: that is why I think this effect will blow them away regardless of knowing that there was a switch (a term and action so many are familiar with these days, thanks for instance to very plain effect descriptions for instance on Penn and Teller).

My two cents Smile

Excellent point on them not being able to find anything in reviewing the video on the spec's phone. That's another reason for the flash, it obfuscates that you are using a dummy device when viewing the video the spec recorded on their own phone.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2019, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:

Then you seem to be forgetting the big ending which occurred on stage and was over in half a second. Smile

Madison

I think I did. PM'ing you to refresh my memory. LoL.
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
When in jan will this ship? I’ve preordered, will instructional video be live on release or will I have to wait to see the download code?
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
New user
USA
100 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2019, Aaron Lucas wrote:
When in jan will this ship? I’ve preordered, will instructional video be live on release or will I have to wait to see the download code?

I don’t think this is shipping until January 30th, if I’m not mistaken

Tyler
Devereaux
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
45 Posts

Profile of Devereaux
Personally, I can't wait for this to arrive. Tobias performed this for me on the way to a group dinner along with some other people during Magic Live. I did not know Tobias before this.
We were in the restaurant parking lot, and it was the first time in a long time that I felt "magic". I had know idea I was holding my own phone, and looking back on it, he had some nice subtleties that
made it highly unlikely that I or anyone else would know that. Based on the sensation I felt the moment I realized my phone was in my hands, I knew this would be a winner, a worker, and one that people will be asking for in walk around scenarios. That may be the only problem...as people want others to experience the same thing they did, you will have spectators watching it multiple times. Clearly this will have to be done sparingly in those scenarios.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Where can I find your review Tyler?
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1236 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Maybe I missed it, but can we assume you need a jacket?
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1316 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2020, Devereaux wrote:
Personally, I can't wait for this to arrive. Tobias performed this for me on the way to a group dinner along with some other people during Magic Live. I did not know Tobias before this.
We were in the restaurant parking lot, and it was the first time in a long time that I felt "magic". I had know idea I was holding my own phone, and looking back on it, he had some nice subtleties that
made it highly unlikely that I or anyone else would know that. Based on the sensation I felt the moment I realized my phone was in my hands, I knew this would be a winner, a worker, and one that people will be asking for in walk around scenarios. That may be the only problem...as people want others to experience the same thing they did, you will have spectators watching it multiple times. Clearly this will have to be done sparingly in those scenarios.

Good point. You need to prepare for those people. Or even worse: the ones that ask you to show their friends “the one where I gave you my phone and then suddenly I held it in my own hands again”. Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
JOurneyjoe
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JOurneyjoe
I pre-ordered this a month ago... Have any shipped out yet?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7874 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Jan 30 apparently.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
312 Posts

Profile of Havens
The ad copy in the promo email massively oversold this. Something along the lines of how the worlds most famous magicians are raving/begging for the best phone vanish to be released. Then I click on the link to see someone take a phone off some drunk girls and give it back to them whilst he uses what looks like a D'lite.

Some time has passed since I got that email and now I know what the plot really is I'm actually getting very excited about Optix. It's a sneaky, genius of an idea. I just don't think the ad copy/promo did it any favours.
Silversleights04
View Profile
New user
Houston, Tx, United States
90 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2020, Havens wrote:
The ad copy in the promo email massively oversold this. Something along the lines of how the worlds most famous magicians are raving/begging for the best phone vanish to be released. Then I click on the link to see someone take a phone off some drunk girls and give it back to them whilst he uses what looks like a D'lite.

Some time has passed since I got that email and now I know what the plot really is I'm actually getting very excited about Optix. It's a sneaky, genius of an idea. I just don't think the ad copy/promo did it any favours.

Agreed. I think the effect looks like a fun one, genuinely. Tobias has had some hits and misses in the past for me; Stay Cool was a poorly made uni-tasking gimmick, but Ping was a genius coin utility. This seems great for the evening walkaround scene and social media engagement, I might actually try it. It's a cool idea, but it's definitely not the must-have revolutionary "game-changer" device it's made out to be. That ad-copy/promo is more aggressive "small batch craft magic" hype generating and some of the promo commentary praise is equally overdone. I've already seen some downright outlandish claims from people who haven't even seen or used the gimmick yet. It's almost off-puttingly familiar. In the words of the confused sage Yogi Berra, it's like deja vu all over again.

Maybe I'm just struggling to find other applications, but this definitely looks like a single effect gimmick, another uni-tasker like Stay Cool. From my experience, single effect gimmicks just don't have longevity. They make the rounds for a bit, but ultimately end up in the drawer before the year is up. I just don't see this as an effect with a ton of other uses outside of the marketed effect yet... (YET! Happy to hear some other performance ideas or brainstorm some, maybe something combining his other effect Silhouette for a Tobias-made light and shadow routine? IDK)

Also, a major issue for me is that visual effects like this end up all over social media prior to and upon release, so there's a metric ton of clone performances out there. For example, look at all of the Now You Sleeve Me (I know it's a totally different release than Optix in nearly every respect, but it was equally over-hyped and clone performed to death so it illustrates my point here) performances on Instagram and you'll get a better understanding of what I mean. That means your performance is linked to all the others through search engines, tags, keywords, and quickly backtracked to a very conspicuously marketed gimmick for $60 online. In my eyes, if a spectator can find the source of your magic by following 3 hashtags and a link, it's never going to feel as magical.

We'll see what the reviews say, but for now, I'm happy to wait and let the dust kicked up from the hype settle.
Magic sees Magic.
Together we make each other better.
Do something amazing today.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1491 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Not sure why I bothered pre ordering as looks like I could have got quicker from Saturn Magic than Ellusionist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL