The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, Xcath1 wrote:
I could see in peoples eyes that they caught the switch so I would keep going and they were polite but wants much of a trick after that

Gotcha. Smile
Magikgym
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magikgym
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
I have performed it a few times. For better or worse it’s one of those tricks you have to go out and do to get comfortable with. At least I do. It’s “worked” about half the time for me. That is the spectator did not notice they were getting their own phone back and the response was good. I have not gotten Vegas level responses from this yet and I do from some tricks. For me, I’m not sure I will be able to perform it enough to get super comfortable with it but we will see. It has gotten better with time.

So what happened the other half of the time? Just wanted clarification if you are gauging based on reaction or getting caught out. Thanks!

I too would like to know what happened the other half of the time?
Magikgym
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Magikgym
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
I could see in peoples eyes that they caught the switch so I would keep going and they were polite but wants much of a trick after that

Gotcha. Smile

Okay thanks.
CMR
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of CMR
Has anyone tried this effect on family members/close friends? Is it more difficult to misdirect them since they know what kind of phone you have?
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
New user
USA
100 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, CMR wrote:
Has anyone tried this effect on family members/close friends? Is it more difficult to misdirect them since they know what kind of phone you have?

I did it on a few friends and it went really well for the most part. I got an amazing reaction from them except for one. The one was the person I had just talked to phone cases about the day before so he knew who had what phone. He said he still liked the vanish even though he knew which phone was where. So I would say it shouldn’t be hard to do for friend and family as long as you haven’t just talked about it phone cases to them the day earlier lol

Hope this helps,
Tyler
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
928 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, simplymagicweb wrote:
Just saw the uncut version.... I'm a bit thick but I just saw him hand back her phone and then a light, ala the old TT delite trick, vanished.... I had to go back a actually read what the effect was! But the screaming girls seemed to like it though!!! Hey ho - old git gonna pass on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You shouldn’t pass on it. It’s the most creative effect since years.
The felling of the spectator (when everything works) is so astounding.
Optix was performed on me by Tobias and it was one of the besten magic moments I had in years.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2350 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It is lovely when it works and merely disappointing when it doesn’t. I will keep working
CMR
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of CMR
Thanks, Tyler. Guess we should pick spectators who have no phone case.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1303 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Your confidence, or lack of it, will communicate a lot that could make or break the crucial switch moment. You need to believe you're handing them their phone and do it confidently and somewhat non-chalantly. I also don't indicate that anything magical is about to happen at all. I want their guard down.

Also, if you're nervous about the vanish, keep in mind that you don't have to do a visual vanish. Place 'their' phone into a small paper sack and then scrunch it into a tiny ball and toss it aside (a la vanishing bottle).
Or, don't make it a vanish at all. Simply, openly place 'their' phone into your pocket and then reveal that they're actually holding their own phone. As a mentalist, I'm actually playing with this approach, as a demonstration of the ability to direct people's thoughts, affect memory, etc.
It's all in the reflexes.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
Your confidence, or lack of it, will communicate a lot that could make or break the crucial switch moment. You need to believe you're handing them their phone and do it confidently and somewhat non-chalantly. I also don't indicate that anything magical is about to happen at all. I want their guard down.

Also, if you're nervous about the vanish, keep in mind that you don't have to do a visual vanish. Place 'their' phone into a small paper sack and then scrunch it into a tiny ball and toss it aside (a la vanishing bottle).
Or, don't make it a vanish at all. Simply, openly place 'their' phone into your pocket and then reveal that they're actually holding their own phone. As a mentalist, I'm actually playing with this approach, as a demonstration of the ability to direct people's thoughts, affect memory, etc.

The vanish isn't really the hard part though, it's really the switch imho. The switch makes or breaks this.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
925 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2020, simplymagicweb wrote:
Just saw the uncut version.... I'm a bit thick but I just saw him hand back her phone and then a light, ala the old TT delite trick, vanished.... I had to go back a actually read what the effect was! But the screaming girls seemed to like it though!!! Hey ho - old git gonna pass on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You shouldn’t pass on it. It’s the most creative effect since years.
The felling of the spectator (when everything works) is so astounding.
Optix was performed on me by Tobias and it was one of the besten magic moments I had in years.

Sorry, I am gonna pass on this! Creative as it is, I just don’t think it will play well, sorry. Quite a few comments have already been hit or miss. I also think it’s quite easy for people to backtrack and get the method. Anyway, we are all different so I’m sure there will be plenty of buyers
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1303 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Kissdadookie, the whole first half of my post is regarding the switch. It's not difficult at all, but your attitude will make or break it. Casual confidence is the key.
It's all in the reflexes.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3937 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
Kissdadookie, the whole first half of my post is regarding the switch. It's not difficult at all, but your attitude will make or break it. Casual confidence is the key.

That's why I'm saying it's the hardest part. People are naturally going to be self conscious about it and that will typically give it away. As you've pointed out, confidence is key, for which unfortunately for a good amount of people it is something that they need to learn and practice. The switch is in my opinion where much of the practice is going to be since there's really not much to the vanish or engaging the switch for the light.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Optix by Tobias Dostal / Ellusionist (104 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL