The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Penny Up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris B
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Chris B
I would say this is the UK equivalent to the US's dice games, but despite scouring numerous books, I haven't found any references to it. Does anyone here know of any?

I'm also struggling to think of "advantage play" ideas that could be used, aside from a weighted/dead coin.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1939 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I don't know about coins, but I used to play this game with hockey cards when I was a kid...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Never seen anyone bet money on it (aside from collecting the literal pennies each win). I'm sure someone, somewhere has though. This was more of a playground game for us - I wouldn't say it was the equivalent of street dice games.

With the UK influenced quite easily by US media, it would probably be easier to spread a craps game than think of ways to exploit pigeon toss.
Chris B
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Chris B
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, Kimura wrote:
I wouldn't say it was the equivalent of street dice games.

I get what you're saying, and I agree to some extent - but, I've never seen a dice game on the streets in the UK, and I could quite easily find a "penny up" any day of the week. I guess it depends on your area, and who you roll with.

Concerning betting, yes you're right - people start out playing this in school for 50p, but college aged kids are playing with £2 coins. Then, there are money off the table bets, whereby, it looks like one is playing an innocuous game, but money in the hundreds is changing hands. Not quite the amounts I see people playing for over the pond, but then again, we have always done things on a smaller scale over here.

It's like Doc has always said - find and adapt to the games people are playing in your area. That's why Doc has techniques to cheat at Tonk, and Skin (a really good game, by the way); and Tommy has techniques for Kalooki.

Monte and the Shells are my usual thing, but I'm looking to "branch out".
Chris B
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Chris B
Further to the above, I'm looking for any historical references to the game - particularly if they describe the varying mechanics/rules peculiar to each area.

For instance, Rudyard Kipling in his poem 'If', writes about "risking it all on one turn of pitch and toss" (penny up). Now I understand it's a metaphor, but I think it also has a basis in reality - that people have historically played this game for more than table stakes.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, Chris B wrote:

I could quite easily find a "penny up" any day of the week. I guess it depends on your area, and who you roll with.

Concerning betting, yes you're right - people start out playing this in school for 50p, but college aged kids are playing with £2 coins.

People still walk around with coins in their pockets over there?
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1251 Posts

Profile of reese
Uh... your butler carrys your coins? Almost everyone who buys books at my shop has coins in their pocket. (I'm speaking of the US)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Penny Up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL