The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrop that works like a one-way mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
I'm not sure of the name of this stuff, but I saw it on the net somewhere. It is a theatrical backdrop of some sort. I'm not sure how it works, but I'll try to describe its function.

When it is back lit, the image painted on it will be seen by the audience. When it is lit from another angle, you can see behind the netting/backdrop as if it wasn't there. I have heard rumors that this is also used in illusions to make horses dissappear or appear.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about please tell me what it's called or, --even better yet, where I can find this backdrop stuff.

Mmm... rotating coffe Smile
JDC
View Profile
New user
KY
9 Posts

Profile of JDC
The type of curtain your are referring to is called a "scrim".
ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
Could you give some more info on the
"scrim", sounds interesting and is there a location on the web where I can find it.

Thanks
ELS Smile
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
JDC
View Profile
New user
KY
9 Posts

Profile of JDC
A scrim is used so that when it is lit from the front, it looks like any curtain would. However, when it is lit from the back, it has a net kind of look to it, where you can clearly see through it. Just do a google search for it, as nearly any leading organizations dealing with curtains/backdrops will be able to help you out.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Basically, a scrim is a very open weaved cloth, with more holes than actual solid areas. For best results, scrims with designs on them are dyed, not painted (which can be pricier), as the paint will tend to fill up the holes in it that are necessary to make it work.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Here is a link for you.

http://www.gastage.com/scrim.html

Smile
Daniel Faith
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
My other question is... are there any applications for this "scrim" in a magic Illusion? I'm not asking for secrets, just general tricks like a vanishing horse or something.

I've fallen and I can't get up!!! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrop that works like a one-way mirror (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL