The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TRUE COLORS by Eric Chien & TCC (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, LankyHobo wrote:
Arthur, did you receive a card in your pack that is red/blue double-backer and magnets? If so, that's the gimmick that's ready to use for half/half change you see in the trailer. In the first 30 or so seconds he mentions briefly how to use it. Then about 29 minutes in he goes into a bit more about handling.

Yes, I received the whole worthless package. The magnets do not do the job. There is no explanation of the proper handling other than a 30 second clip to show that they work even though they fall off half way through the color change. Why are there 3 of them? What is each one for? I have never seen such poor instructions for a magic trick that one pays $55 for. After a short introduction he begins to show how the gimmick can be constructed with a thousand items, paper, hole punch, scissors, more paper etc. So yes, Lanky, I got what everyone got and still think that this is a horrible presentation that cannot work for me and more than likely anyone else who does magic in the real world. Unless yo do magic with a camera crew recording you on stage with a giant screen, this is a waste of money and am selling it. Period. If you want a great trick that really works in the world of human beings, get Extreme Burn by Richard Sander and with a bit of simple construction you can make a miracle happen every time you show it. I use it every day and people are blown away. This trick by Eric Chien will never compare. It's pure eye candy and only for the stage. If you can tell me what these gimmicks do in the real world, I will be happy to support it. If there was a logical video that works (I had to get the correct link from this forum since the link in the box does not work) I will eat my words. Until then this gets no stars!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Ekat & Propdog seem to be the only reviewers who will honestly say a product is crap.

The other reviewers are all affiliated in someway.

In addition to the two named above, IMO, Unbiased Magic Reviews is extremely honest and lives up to its name (so far*.)

I believe Kaan is willing to express negative aspects when appropriate.

Steve Faulkner's Real Magic Reviews seems to be honest in his reviews although I have to admit I have not seen enough of them to say for certain.

*I say “so far” because it seems to be common that these review shows are totally honest in the beginning when they are purchasing all of their reviewed items themselves, but if they become successful and grow their viewership they often then start to receive products for review and that concerns me that they succumb to pressure to give good reviews for fear that the constant influx of new products will stop. Which could really hurt their channels as they now find themselves having to constantly feed the hungry beast they have created.

I believe this may have happened at least to some extent with Magic Orthodoxy because even though he has now begun to stress more and more that he is unbiased and honest, he also seems to often play down and brush off negative aspects of a trick that I feel deserve a much more critical review.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Nail on the head Videoman. The problem being is that viewers soon switch off when it’s blatantly obvious that they are awarding 5 star reviews to complete and utter garbage, in order to increase sales for their sponsor.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Ekat & Propdog seem to be the only reviewers who will honestly say a product is crap.

The other reviewers are all affiliated in someway.

In addition to the two named above, IMO, Unbiased Magic Reviews is extremely honest and lives up to its name (so far*.)

I believe Kaan is willing to express negative aspects when appropriate.

Steve Faulkner's Real Magic Reviews seems to be honest in his reviews although I have to admit I have not seen enough of them to say for certain.

*I say “so far” because it seems to be common that these review shows are totally honest in the beginning when they are purchasing all of their reviewed items themselves, but if they become successful and grow their viewership they often then start to receive products for review and that concerns me that they succumb to pressure to give good reviews for fear that the constant influx of new products will stop. Which could really hurt their channels as they now find themselves having to constantly feed the hungry beast they have created.

I believe this may have happened at least to some extent with Magic Orthodoxy because even though he has now begun to stress more and more that he is unbiased and honest, he also seems to often play down and brush off negative aspects of a trick that I feel deserve a much more critical review.

Thanks for pointing out Unbiased Reviews.
Have subscribed to him.

Like Steve Faulkner’s channel as he does come across genuine.
Props to Kaan as well.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Agreed. I’ve boycotted Lunsford and Kenny.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, Martello wrote:

Luke Dancy is clearly a liar.

Arthur

Maybe it's just force of habit, since, as magicians, we're all liars.

I think, with this product, remembering the simple maxim, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is, would have been helpful.
RDeNatale
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of RDeNatale
I got a copy of this at MagiFest. I've read this whole forum, and I wanted to add a few things.

First of all, I don't recommend this.

OK, what you get in the box, you get a gimmick (let's call this gimmick 1) which allows you to change the color of half of the back of a double backer. You get another piece which can be used to create another copy of gimmick 1. Finally you get the instructions which contains:

1 A brief introduction which describes the above.
2 A half hour or so about how to build gimmick 2, an entirely different animal, which is basically a red/blue back fl*pp*r card glued to a packet of cards with a h*l* to hide a m*g*et.
3 About three minutes on the routine.
4 About twenty minutes on how to construct another Gimmick 1. Note that you can only create one of these because besides a few playing cards, double stick tape etc. you'll nee that extra piece.
5 Finally a few more minutes on angles and how to used Gimmick 1 to do the part of Eric's FISM act where he slides the card on a pad under a ribbon and it changes colors.

In my case, gimmick 1 doesn't work smoothly at all. Some one else pointed out the m*g**t that comes with the effect is actually three pieces, it tends not to stay together when you make the move. Also my gimmick 1 tends to stick. He covers this in section 4 above, I still have to fix this satisfactorily.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote [First of all, I don't recommend this.]

Believe me, we got the message long ago.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
302 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Call me crazy... But is this a World record? I purchased, it came, I watched.. ZZZZzzzzzz (fell asleep), opened the trash can and dropped this inside! Fifty bucks for Arts & Craft! This trick is rubbish. As a hobby magician since 1973, owning hundreds of tricks over this period, this tops the lot for rubbish! This trick is and always will be "an idea" NOT a worker in the real world. May look good on video trailers but in reality... Well, I think you get my point. Buying this is like buying a painting set and realising it comes with brushes but no paints!! Even the gimmick is somewhat temperamental, this is seen at the end of the tutorial video when the presenter can't even get it to move correctly (not a good thing to leave in a tutorial!), then goes on to try and tell us how to cope with this! Eh!!! What the hell!, when I pay this much, and the key ingredient may not work smoothly, I think this is not one to add to my performances. Sadly, this is not gonna become a "Classic" in magic.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Luke Dancy showed his true colours by endorsing this rubbish.
KimFloresmagic
View Profile
New user
London, UK
11 Posts

Profile of KimFloresmagic
An update on this from me!

This worked great in Eric's show!!

He needed to work a lot more on it as a product he could sell, I would have wanted a higher quality video detailing different handlings and ideas, him talking about how he came up with it and why, how he used it in his performance etc!
I would expect for this price many more of the main part of the gimmick that would be hardest to reproduce at home!
I would have expected a better functioning gimmick all in all!
Come on Eric, your performance is amazing, one of the best of its kind that ive seen!

Some will be able to work this into something I imagine, but for me it would have needed a lot more care!
one element might have been to improve the gimmick so it can be used in any lighting!
KimFloresmagic
View Profile
New user
London, UK
11 Posts

Profile of KimFloresmagic
So this is already available from Seo magic, or they have a similar version? [/quote]

My apologies, I am new here so don't yet know how it all works!

I assume you got the information you wanted concerning this product, but yes SEO Magic put True Colors out before it got a wider release!

I don't know why Eric allowed this, maybe he felt pressure to release it!
I myself would have waited a while until it was really strong!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Got this as a free gift. So glad I didn’t pay for this. Creative, yes. Workable, no. If I paid for this, I would be livid. Main gimmick doesn’t work and it would take two hrs to do all the arts and crafts necessary to make the second gimmick. Horrible.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
Got this as a free gift. So glad I didn’t pay for this. Creative, yes. Workable, no. Horrible.

I can't believe what I got. This is more of a tinkering class than a working trick. In addition, at least one very important elestic element is missing to get started. And splitting cards cleanly isn't exactly a simple matter either. The rest of the materials are probably to get but actually it is an imposition that all this is not included in the package. The gimmick works quite well and needs only "one" of the little wonder things. The advertising for this trick is totally misleading and lacks honest information about the necessary production of further accessories. It is incomprehensible why not everything is included in the package, complete and ready for demonstration. A good chance was missed here by this incomplete production. A very frustrating release.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2021, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
Got this as a free gift. So glad I didn’t pay for this. Creative, yes. Workable, no. Horrible.

I can't believe what I got. This is more of a tinkering class than a working trick. In addition, at least one very important elestic element is missing to get started. And splitting cards cleanly isn't exactly a simple matter either. The rest of the materials are probably to get but actually it is an imposition that all this is not included in the package. The gimmick works quite well and needs only "one" of the little wonder things. The advertising for this trick is totally misleading and lacks honest information about the necessary production of further accessories. It is incomprehensible why not everything is included in the package, complete and ready for demonstration. A good chance was missed here by this incomplete production. A very frustrating release.

What on earth were you thinking 🤔 or had you not read the reviews here beforehand?
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2021, pegasus wrote:
What on earth were you thinking 🤔 or had you not read the reviews here beforehand?

My omission, I have unfortunately noticed too late, but maybe winter days invite to split cards and chop wood
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
77 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
This is so typical. When I saw the promo my very first thought was that this is too good ton be true. If I get it it's going to have some crazy puzzle box construction for the gimmick and I won't be able to do it close up. Coming here confirmed my suspicians.... And yes, Extreme Burn is a real miracle. His tutorial is one of the best!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » TRUE COLORS by Eric Chien & TCC (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL