The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your highlights and lowlights of the year in mentalism (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Highlights
the mystery arts podcast run by Matt, I hope he gets the support he is aiming for, as its such a good broadcast...
giving less and less of a **** about what others think about what is and what isn't mentalism
embracing being "my kind" of a cartomancer
improving my story telling skills
working more on music and art which has a nice knock on effect to what I enjoy performing
reading more

lowlights
latest & greatest devouring everything
lack of crediting
lack of originality
how fake news has steamrolled into magic and mentalism with horrible ad copy
talent shows
spoon feeding

that'll do for starters...

what are yours?
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
First off, thanks Iain!

Highlights

The podcast has been a good thing for me too, mostly because it's an excuse to have long conversations with people that I might not have had a excuse to otherwise. Have made great connections and learned a lot.

Mindvention was a highlight, not so much for the content, but for the new friends and community.

I really relate to the 'not giving a F* about what others think' as well. I'm definitely fine being called a mental magician where I used to be much more elitist about being strictly a mentalist. Mind you nothing has really changed with my material or presentations, just not worrying any more about what other performers think. I guess if Cassidy, Derren Brown, etc. are now mental magicians I'm in good company.

Lowlights:

Having a slow year, performance wise, and knowing it's mostly my own fault. I've gotten a lot of great information and tips on increasing business but it's just a challenge for me to market myself. Partially it's even just laziness. I just wish someone would just get gigs for me!

Other bummers are similar from year to year - nastiness, gatekeeping and elitism in the mentalism community. Continual hype of products that under deliver. Buying stuff I end up not being able to use...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Highlights:

My magic has become real magick (for the observer) and that for me is hugely gratificating, (I mean real by that Im giving a cause to the effect, there is not a trick)

My knowledge and philosophy has enlarged.

I have started performing hypnosis succesfully.

My thinking has maturated a lot.

Lowlights:

My progress could have been more...

Happy Holidays!

Cristóbal
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I hope it's ok to put in a quick comment here. As a (very) new MC user, I think I know what Last Laugh means when he mentions 'gatekeeping' and elitism, but I have to say that I've been blown away by the friendly, constructive and helpful advice I've been given thus far.

Thanks everyone and merry Xmas.

BW

Steve
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Highlights: running Astral travel workshops and flipping tarot cards for all sorts of wonderful folks.
Lowlights: skeptics. Always skeptics trying to ruin the fun for everyone.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Highlights: Acquiring some new props for my show.
Lowlights: Paying for those new props.

;-)
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Highlights: Contributed work to 3 major volumes this year: 1 piece to Steve Drury's Dice Mysteries, 4 pieces to Jim Magus's Ancient and Modern Classics of Bizarre Magick, and 2 pieces in Richard Webster and Neal Scryer's Scryer's Elite.

Also, the creation of one of my favourite pieces to date: Hoshi's Lucky Star.

Learned a bunch of nifty finger-picking songs on my guitar that I have always loved.

Finally, a kind and generous person surprise-gifted me with a complete set of The Pallbearer's Review - a set which holds huge personal sentimental significance to me.

Lowlights: Didn't finish my tome on effects involving a pair of dice (titled Devilish Dice Deceits) before the New Year. But the flip side is that it is now being released in hardback early in the New Year as a result.

Rampant depression and lack of sleep.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
127 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Highs
Taking a few baby steps into mentalism after 30 years of completly ignoring the field ...... and enjoying it.
The good advice from magicians I have spoken with. Iain being one of them.
Road testing ideas on the wonderful staff at my local coffee shop.

Lows
Real life getting in the way

Cheers
Nev
Coin & Box - book available directly from me.
https://youtu.be/kAxQ6GRU-RI
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2706 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Highs

Iain being called a magician
Mystery Arts Podcast by Matt Packard
Hanging out on the Café, learning more about mentalism and having fun
Practicing & performing 7 new mentalism routines. Didn’t go perfect of course. But more than good enough.

Lows

Hanging out on the Café, get into big arguments and get really cynical or condescending
The marketing of the mentalism starter kit, the way E approached socially vulnerable people there. Disgusting.
Groupies in my dressing room never want to go any further than a PK touch
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Highs - Starting to get back into Mentalism after taking a 2-year hiatus (even though I did buy a few books/ebooks). I've been enjoying the latest Lewis Leval releases, but I have to admit, I've been buying them when they go on sale at eMentalism. Recommendation - join the eMentalism mailing list.

Lows - I have to say that in my opinion, many ebooks and books seem to be something which should have been combined to create a full release. Maybe I've been around too long, but some of the releases seem too overpriced for what you get.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Highs
Performing with Mick Wilson as the Eversobads (parody of the Evasons) at Minds this year.
Contributing to Steve Drury’s Dice Mysteries and Psycrets.
Getting a portrait of my father on my right forearm.
Julie getting me the Shakespeare Experiment for my birthday/Christmas
Drew Backenstoss’ excellent book test.
Releasing Totally Free Will
5 star review of Harpacrown in Vanish magazine.

Lows
Not been able to hang out with many of my favourite people in this industry anywhere near as much as I’d like due to being so busy.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Well I'm not mentalist but I'm really lucky in that I get to collaborate with one of the best, so I feel I can justifiably add my own highlights to 'a year of mentalism'...
Highlights:
1) Being so generously credited by Timon Krause in his book 'Which Hand'
2) Spending 3 days with Timon working on creating his new touring show for 2020
3) The early preview shows of Timon's new 2020 touring show getting such a great reaction.

Lowlights;
No lowlights.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Highs:
Began interacting with the online magic/mentalism community and made some great friends.
Discovered a whole bevy of mentalists and materials to learn from!
I was able to afford to start my mentalism book collection (Cassidy, Banachek, Brookings, Backenstoss, Redford, soo much goodness).
My work offered me a recurring opportunity to perform my mentalism routines and trial run working material at company lunches.
Did very well in several performances of original material.
Began a side gig in restaurant magic.

Lows:
Encountered absurd gatekeeping and bumped into some overinflated egos.
Realized I put far too much stock in the comments of strangers.
Discovered I may have a bit of an ego myself I need to work on (Work hard and stay humble friends).
Suffered a major confidence blow at an underwhelming stage mentalism performance, the perfect storm resulting from several colliding situations. Live and Learn.
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Your highlights and lowlights of the year in mentalism (14 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL