The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roller Coaster by Hanson Chien (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2484 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
While the effect is eye candy and looks great... the first thing which crossed my mind is "Why would I place the glass on the coaster ?"

There is no reason why the performer would not perform directly on a table top. The use of a coaster needs to be justified.

Since the demo video has no performance, I can not think of a good excuse which makes sense logically to use a coaster at all ???
Long Island,

New York
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4394 Posts

Profile of videoman
Don't own this but maybe you could turn one glass mouth down on the table and then put the coaster on the bottom of that glass and then another glass on top of the coaster, ostensibly to elevate the glass to make it easier to see and to "make it even more impossible" (wink, wink).

Point being to find some reason to elevate the second glass which would neccesitate the coaster being used.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2655 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Great for magicians & bartenders like myself, lot of my strolling gigs usually have a bar so this coaster makes sense & will fit right in.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2655 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Dave Do you have a review on this yet ?
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
493 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, Expertmagician wrote:
While the effect is eye candy and looks great... the first thing which crossed my mind is "Why would I place the glass on the coaster ?"

There is no reason why the performer would not perform directly on a table top. The use of a coaster needs to be justified.

Since the demo video has no performance, I can not think of a good excuse which makes sense logically to use a coaster at all ???

Hey Expertmagician,

If you use something like a close up pad you can use the coaster as „excuse“ not to ruin your precious pad.
During your performance: Excuse me I‘m thirsty yada yada yada... take out the coaster and a glass, pour in a little bit of water (or just pretend to), take a sip...
Does anybody have a coin? - Now you can go straight into the effect
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1748 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Here is my FULL REVIEW of Roller Coaster: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=109

Hope this help.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Follow for amazing magic.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2374 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, Nikki78 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, Expertmagician wrote:

Hey Expertmagician,

If you use something like a close up pad you can use the coaster as „excuse“ not to ruin your precious pad.
During your performance: Excuse me I‘m thirsty yada yada yada... take out the coaster and a glass, pour in a little bit of water (or just pretend to), take a sip...
Does anybody have a coin? - Now you can go straight into the effect
I agree that the coaster needs to be justified.Makes no scene to place the cup on the coaster. Now make something like this built into a close up pad!!!!! that I would buy.
dogmonkey
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dogmonkey
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, Expertmagician wrote:
the first thing which crossed my mind is "Why would I place the glass on the coaster ?"

Because that is what coasters were invented for. Literally, their sole purpose in life is to have glasses placed on them.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1986 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Why do we place a spectator's ring under a silk and then hand it back to them? Why do we tear the corner off a bill so that we can "recognize it again?" Magicians do a lot of weird things. Sticking a glass on top of a coaster feels more natural than the previous two I mentioned.

My biggest issue with it so far, is that every time I see it on my desk I sing the Ohio Players song - "Roller Coaster - of love..." (say what?)
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
Nikki78
View Profile
Elite user
I impaled Dracula with
493 Posts

Profile of Nikki78
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, MR Effecto wrote:
[...] Now make something like this built into a close up pad!!!!! that I would buy.

Maybe you should invent something like that (if it doesn’t already exist) and talk to Murphy‘s. Maybe you can get a good deal Smile

Cheers
I'm no native speaker - please ignore the mistakes Smile
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2374 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Might just look into that.
CMR
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of CMR
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, alexhui wrote:
Here is my FULL REVIEW of Roller Coaster: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=109

Hope this help.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

That is a great review. Thank you, Alex!
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1748 Posts

Profile of alexhui
One idea to drive attention away from the coaster is to do the effect with signed coin.

There are 2 approaches of do it (I tried to keep in vague cos it is an open forum)
1. You push the signed coin through the glass and do a s****h
2. You l**d the signed coin into the gimmick

Once the effect is done, all attention should be on the signed coin. Or you can immediately go into a signed-coin bending routine.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
7877 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, alexhui wrote:
One idea to drive attention away from the coaster is to do the effect with signed coin.

There are 2 approaches of do it (I tried to keep in vague cos it is an open forum)

Once the effect is done, all attention should be on the signed coin. Or you can immediately go into a signed-coin bending routine.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

Or signed beermat straightening routine.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1748 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, alexhui wrote:

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

Or signed beermat straightening routine.

Your idea is more awesome Smile

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, dogmonkey wrote:
Quote:
the first thing which crossed my mind is "Why would I place the glass on the coaster ?"

Because that is what coasters were invented for. Literally, their sole purpose in life is to have glasses placed on them.

Well, not EMPTY glasses.
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
104 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2020, Joe Roberts wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2020, dogmonkey wrote:
Quote:

Well, not EMPTY glasses.

Best time to fill it up with ice cold beer. I'd finish the beer and go straight into the routine. Afterall the Tyvek surface is waterproof.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3322 Posts

Profile of takeachance
HEINEKEN seems sold out all the time. It's the only brand common in my area. Any idea when it will be available anyone? hopefully from penguin for the free mailing.
Merenkov
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Quote:
Spot on. When I'm at my favorite pub, I always go to the bar and grab a couple of coasters for me and my buddy if the waitperson didn't provide them. In a bar setting, I imagine using this for the final phase of an impromptu, sleight-of-hand coin through glass routine (see John Carney, Miguel Angel Gea and Daniel Garcia for ideas here). The only issue in my mind is whether the coaster actually mimics what one would find in the real world. In Alex's review, linked above, he makes it sound like the coaster itself doesn't necessarily fit the bill, as it might be too big and “too well-made”, whatever that means. Can anyone else chime in with their opinion on this aspect?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1986 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Magic Review - Roller Coaster by Hanson Chien & Yao // https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRxLtFICnbM
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roller Coaster by Hanson Chien (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL