The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need help with a basic Glossary of terms? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Sometimes the most basic things are what is overlooked in so many books on magic.
I cannot find a set of definitions of different terms for coins. Let me explain. I wanted to buy some cheap gaffe online, just to try them out, before ever spending much just to see what they are and handle like etc. I initially thought of this after seeing an ad for a SPLIT COIN that was dirt cheap but reviewed ok for what the price was. I thought I'd check in Bobo and see what exactly a SPLIT COIN is. Is it like a flipper or a folder...nah, I can't find out. So I begin googling.
I'm good at finding out almost anything via Google, except this.
I just wish there was a glossary somewhere. I've even got some old coin books off on archive.org (because I haven't bought any other coin books than Bobo, as I'm mainly learning cards just now) and these books contain loads of great information and sleights and gaffe but I still cannot find out what it is I could do with a SPLIT COIN. I don't even know if it is a coin with a SPLIT down the middle, the side, hehe...I feel stupid.
Anyway I went ahead and bought the cheap folding coin and wow it works really well for coin in bottle and a few other things. Brilliant! Likewise the ex****** sh*** which I am amazed at considering the low price. I just didn't get the split as I've no idea what it is.
Help?
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

"You cannot BUY a TRICK.
TRICKS, somewhat like music, only exist while they are being PERFORMED.
An EFFECT cannot be BOUGHT either. An EFFECT is what the spectator perceives.
You need to read FITZKEE. --There are only nineteen EFFECTS"
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I know what a split coin is, but I don't know how to describe it properly, so I'll leave that to someone else [maybe via a PM (for obvious reasons)]. There are probably not that many references to it because its uses are rather limited. (Someone will probably post, "What are you talking about? It can be used for this, that, and this, and that, and fifty million other effects.")
jim ferguson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ayrshire, Scotland
284 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
If you don't know what it is, then you probably don't need it.

You're off to a good start with Bobos. Coin in bottle is a great, classic trick, and an expanded shell is another excellent choice. I suggest getting yourself a c/S gaff, some matching coins, and an odd coin (if using tens and twos, a 50p can be your odd coin - halfs and pennys, the odd coin could be a Chinese one).

With the coins mentioned above, and the information in Bobos, you could do almost any trick.

If you don't mind me asking - where abouts in Scotland are you ? I'm on the Isle of Arran, but originally from Irvine in Ayrshire.

Jim
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Ok, I will hold off with the split coin for now then Smile
That's quite a shopping list you gave me there Jim. At least it won't really cost much, which is what I need for now, especially after Christmas. I have a collection of Old Pennies. The english ones, you know. I've always loved them so it's nice to be able to use them. I've already gotten quite used to classic palming them and crotch palming a small pile. I realise they are crap for anything that will require a grip on the edge...so no muscle pass training with them(!) But they seem good for general stuff I've got from the early pages of Bobo's!

We spoke on another site once Jim because I remember the Isle of Arran, namely because I lived there for years and my Mum lives there now and her family have always lived there...a few of them still do, 2 sisters and their families and my cousins and their families too now!
You may remember us talking when I say: I don't live in Scotland currently, my location tag is more wishful thinking I suppose. I live in South of England (while I plan my escape to the magic island where my soul resides. I have managed to persuade my wife. That's only taken me 15 years so now I just need to get my teenage son on-board with it and Hey Presto. Smile cos that won't be difficult huh).
I jest. Well, some of it hehe.
Anyway, it would be good to meet for a coffee and a bit of magic when I come up there for a week sometime this year, no? Smile Smile
Smile

"You cannot BUY a TRICK.
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Thanks for trying to help Ray!!
Smile

"You cannot BUY a TRICK.
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Signet
Bobo's book was written in 1953. The split coin wasn't invented. There's a DVD by Craig Petty called Split Happens, but I think you should wait until you've gotten some basic moves from Bobo's down. As they say learn to crawl before you walk. This will save you money also.
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2020, Signet wrote:
Bobo's book was written in 1953. The split coin wasn't invented. There's a DVD by Craig Petty called Split Happens, but I think you should wait until you've gotten some basic moves from Bobo's down. As they say learn to crawl before you walk. This will save you money also.

Thanks for that my friend.
Don't get me wrong though, I do have some basic moves down already, from Bobo, and the De Manche Change I think I learned from the Amateur Magician's Handbook which is just an instant favourite move for me! Smile I am not quite interested in the split for now. I will keep on with the coins I already have and use.
Thanks for sound advice Smile
Smile

"You cannot BUY a TRICK.
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
Jay DeLosMuertos
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Jay DeLosMuertos
I had a deck with 1 longer card inside, can anyone tell me what that deck is called please so I can buy another.
Many thanks
Nev Blenk
View Profile
New user
Northumberland UK
65 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2020, HofzinsersFan wrote:
I have a collection of Old Pennies. The english ones, you know. I've always loved them so it's nice to be able to use them. I've already gotten quite used to classic palming them and crotch palming a small pile. I realise they are crap for anything that will require a grip on the edge...so no muscle pass training with them(!) But they seem good for general stuff

Although not quite Scotland but greetings from Northumberland. I love using old english pennies. I find expanded sh***s always look and fit nicely on pennies. They create a bit of interest with younger spectators and you can also gently poke fun at the older ones 'You may remember these' etc etc

Cheers
Nev
stevie c
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I agree on the English pennies. I recently got hold of a fantastic set of deep chocolate brown Victoria pennies complete with a nice [. Set is beautifully worn, soft, and well matched. They feel and look so cool for coins across etc.

All for the princely sum of 20.00 pounds from Harry Robson. This was such a great bargain.
charlie_d
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
PM'd you.

+1 for Craig Petty's "Split Happens" DVD. Excellent material. Like all of Craig's stuff, very practical. "Flipped Out" is also worth a look.

Although imo the split coin gaff isn't as good as an expanded [. Same with the TUC (Tango Ultimate Coin). Also a [/. The expanded [ can be stolen away as part of the routine, which is better because (a) the magic happens in the spectator's hands, and (b) you are left entirely clean.

re: UK coins; the victorian penny shell sets are the best. It's hard to find well made £2 gaffs, I think because the design of the coin makes it hard to modify. Mark Mason is the best imo but it would be a good idea to handle the set in person if you're looking for UK gaffs.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1139 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Sucker Punch is an inexpensive alternative, that also comes with other gaff poker chips that mimic coins.
It is a good practice set.
With this you can determine if want to continue with this type of gaff.
And they are lighter to carry in you pocket for that spontaneous practice session.

If an accident occurs the loss or cost will not be as great.

You may have to modifie with Teflon tape, but still cheaper then an actual coin with addition cost.

For more information, details and possible purchase,
GO HERE:

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-sucke......nch.html

Or your favorite magic shop probably carries this.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
373 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Just an observation... one reason there is no simple glossary is that some generic terms have been taken over by brand names (ala Kleenex for any tissue, and Xerox for any photocopy)

In the example of a "split coin"... nowadays there are several "versions" with subtle difference that may or may not be important for your needs. Some may have monochrome faces, some may be painted, some may have stickers, some may have ma&#^$%s, some may have inserts, some split in 2, some 3, some 4, coins/chips, and so on.... that's part of the reason they all go by different names... and then there's branding

Maybe I misinterpreted your original post... my suggestion is rather than getting a gimmick and figuring out routines... determine what routines you want to perform then find the perfect gimmick to suit. If you have a routine in mind from Bobo, you then should have the characteristics of the gimmick you need... and finding it should be fairly easy.
Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
51 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2020, Jerry wrote:
Sucker Punch is an inexpensive alternative, that also comes with other gaff poker chips that mimic coins.
It is a good practice set.
With this you can determine if want to continue with this type of gaff.
And they are lighter to carry in you pocket for that spontaneous practice session.

If an accident occurs the loss or cost will not be as great.

You may have to modifie with Teflon tape, but still cheaper then an actual coin with addition cost.

For more information, details and possible purchase,
GO HERE:

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-sucke......nch.html

Or your favorite magic shop probably carries this.

I have a sucker punch set.
Can I ask what modifications you have made with tape?
Curious!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1139 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I have sent you a private message.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Need help with a basic Glossary of terms? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL