The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Etiquette questions from a new SAM member (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of TheMetalMagician
Understanding that the answers to these questions may or may not vary from assembly to assembly, looking for general thoughts:

1. When a member performs a trick for an assembly and a guest says, "I think I know how you did that - will you tell me if I'm right?", what is the "accepted etiquette" for the response?
2. Is the answer to #1 any different if it's another member?
3. Are members expected and/or encouraged to help each other learn specific techniques/sleights/basic tricks etc?
4. Is the answer to #3 any different if a non-member is involved?

Hope the questions made sense
TheMetalMagician
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
FOr the first question, it depends. Is it something that is commercially available, like Saddeldeck or is it something from an older book that most every magician has or should have like Royal Road, Tarbell or Modern Coin Magic? If it is the former, then not really something you should give the workings. If it is something you learned from a classic book sure. Though to be fair, most member who want to know will pull you to the side after the meeting and ask. Also if there is a non-magician at the meeting no one should be asking about methods openly.

As for are members expected and encouraged to help other magicians learn? Yes that is one of the basic pillars of an assembly. If you have more questions and are on Facebook, ask to join the official S,A,M. Facebook group here, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAMMembers
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Etiquette questions from a new SAM member (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL