The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pit Hartling's Variation on Erdnase Color Change (?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
There is this awesome variation I once saw on the Erdnase Color Change and the guy gave credit to Pit Hartling for the variation...Does anybody know where I can find the source?

Thank you!

Posted: May 31, 2004 5:49pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone?!?
~joeKing
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Pit Hartling does atleast one variation of Erdnase Color change in his video Little Green lecture.
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Hey JoeKing,

I think that you may be referring to me, and korttihai_82 got it right. It's on his little green lecture video.

The link for the color change video I made is here:

http://kc.outofstandards.com/Video/ColorChanges.wmv

Enjoy.

K.C. Ushijima
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Good changes on the video. If I remember correctly, the idea of doing the Erdnase Change by putting a face-up double outjogged on a face-down deck was published by Marlo as the "Marnase Change." I can't remember right off if it was in Marlo Without Tears (my first guess) or some other publication.

The change labeled "The Paintbrush Change" looks fantastic on the video. I first read this as Bob Nelson's "Face Up Startler," which was published in one of the Marlo Magazines.

By the way, there are finesses on the Erdnase change to disguise the fact that the card is pushed forward just prior to the transformation... Smile
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
If you are looking for new ideas and great ones about the card colour changes, take a look at the booj Jose De La Torre´s "Real Magic", it contains an entire routine about colour changes, including a lot of colour changes.

On the other hand... great video!

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Hey Lance,

Thanks for the nice comments about the video.

When I was in Japan in 2002 and 2003, the magicians there wanted me to teach them the Paintbrush or I guess Face Up Startler Change.

I know that it's taught on Bill Malone's DVDs. I do it a little different. When I do it, the hand holding the deck doesn't do as much as the original version. All the action is done in the "flick" of the card. It's still the same change, but I use some different tactics/techniques to misdirect everything.

K.C. Ushijima
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
Excellent video, KC!
Alternative Magic
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
That the video, KC...Some how I forgot it was you.
I got Daryl's Vol 7 and learned the Marckonic change...Thanks for that...I prefer it over the snap change now!

Your video is probably one of the best I've seen on the internet (I've seen, literally, 100s)

Thanks for the help

Does anybody know what I can find Hartling's Video?
~joeKing
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 00:45, Lance Pierce wrote:
Good changes on the video. If I remember correctly, the idea of doing the Erdnase Change by putting a face-up double outjogged on a face-down deck was published by Marlo as the "Marnase Change." I can't remember right off if it was in Marlo Without Tears (my first guess) or some other publication.

For anyone interested, the Marlo work can be found in The Last Hierophant (1980, pp. 24-25).
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Ah. Thank you, Cameron.
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
703 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Pit is usually using an outjogged version, so the card is "officially" outjogged. See also Alex Elmsley's work on the change in Vol.1 of the Collected Works. [I hope I am remembering the source correctly?!]

Ciao
Denis
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Hi, Dennis!

If you're responding to my comment about there being finesses to cover the pushing forward of the card, yes, the Marnase Change also started with the card outjogged on the deck, if I remember correctly. On KC's video, however, one can see the card being pushed even further out to set up the steal of the card beneath it. This is not a criticism toward KC...merely an observation. His video overall was pretty impressive. However, the pushing forward of the card is something I've often noticed when viewing almost any version of the Erdnase technique. One can, however, make it not so apparent (whether the card is on the face of the deck or face up and outjogged on the deck) that the card is being pushed out. 'Das all.

BTW, great videos on your site, too! Some very impressive chops there.

:)

Lance

p.s. If you weren't responding to my comment, just ignore everything I wrote.
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
KC,

I don't understand those color changes one bit , ive seen many done, but not so impossible looking. What give's? My mind is playing trick's on me, you seem like an honest chap.

10 minute's later.....

Well my mind's made up, your the main man in cards.

I've so many flourish clip's my computer's nearly run out of tape.. :/ This standard I ain't seen before. Speechless is the word I'm looking for.

Just noticed you live in Hawaii .

I was there last week at Waikiki. At the Outrigger reef. What a place it was.
Loved it to bits. Like the paradise the people make it that way.

Now I'm a really green man. Smile
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Thank you for the kind words shadow. I guess the only advice that I can give that I can truly attest to is that I don't do a lot of sleights or routines. I only do a handful of things that I've been doing for the past few years. I've only been into cards for about 5 and a half years.

I also had the help of Oregon magician Justin Hanes when I was first beginning. Ask any of the Oregon magicians about him, and I'm pretty sure that it will be great feedback about him. And if there's anything negative about him, it's probably due to jealousy of his talent. Guys like him either make you want to practice more (to be like him) or to quit magic all together (cause it seems unfathomable to get that good).

K.C. Ushijima
Posted: Jun 2, 2004 9:55pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Lance,

Thank you for the comments and constructive observation. I never really thought that it was glaring bad to push it out so far. I always just thought it was bad to push the card out and then to pull it back in (kind of like Sankey does in his videos).

So I just never thought about the "pushing out" part of the change, and just practiced to make the second part of the change as smooth as possible.

What are some ways to minimize the initial pushing out part? Thanks.

K.C. Ushijima
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
KC,

I've just PM'd you.

Cheers,

Lance
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of toberman
Lance,

Any chance you could share your tips to minimize the initial pushing out part?
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Lance,

If you could please let me know, too, I'd be interested.

Thanks,

Greg Bornstein
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
See Carneycopia for some ideas to solve the problem.
Sean Piper
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
139 Posts

Profile of Sean Piper
David Regal, in 'Close Up & Personal', has a nice finesse for covering the outjog. Looks very deceptive and is dead simple!
Piper Magic - Australia's Premier Online Magic Store

www.pipermagic.com.au

Supplying Australian magicians with high-quality apparatus, classic books, and a wide range of unique and collectible pre-owned magic.
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Larry Jennings has an excellent finessed handling in Kaufman's Jennings '67 (pp. 122-123).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pit Hartling's Variation on Erdnase Color Change (?) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL