The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Non-Member visitors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm writing to inquire how various Rings handle visitors to Ring meetings who are not members of IBM and/or the local Ring. There are a number of concerns such as:
1. If they are not members of IBM international, do you allow them to attend the local Ring business meetings?
2. If they are not magicians, do you allow them to be present at meetings where secrets are discussed--such as when a member in good standing asks for tips on a card move or how to do the "Cut-and-Restored Rope Trick."
3. If they are not members of IBM international, do you limit the number of meetings they are invited to attend before insisting that they join the parent organization?
4. If they _are_ members of IBM international but not members of the local Ring, do you have a policy about how many meetings they can attend before insisting that they join the local Ring?
5. What "perks" do you attach to international and/or local Ring membership--such as reduced fees for attending lectures sponsored by the Ring.

Also, Does your local Ring have a policy--formal or informal--about magicians who are members of the IBM parent organization attending your local Ring's business meetings if they are not members of your local Ring?

My feeling is that any member of the parent IBM organization has the right to sit in on local Ring business meetings whether they are members of that Ring or not. The only thing they cannot do at a local Ring business meeting is--if they are not members in good standing--vote on motions and in the election of officers, etc.

I know some local Rings are worried about declining membership. But sending non-members outside the meeting room while the business meeting is in progress is not the way to encourage non-members to join. We do sometimes charge non-members a fee to attend lectures, auctions, flea market sales, etc.

The Board of Directors of our local Ring is discussing the above questions. My personal feeling is that anyone who is a member of IBM international should be welcome to attend all local Ring meetings whether they ever join the local Ring or not. Some of my fellow members on the Board of Directors disagree with that perspective.

Looking forward to any comments.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I can't cite any IBM rules but I agree 100% that telling IBM members to leave a meeting just because they are not a member of that Ring makes no sense. I am a member of another world wide organization that has been around for a very very long time way more than twice the time of the IBM. The way it is done there is that all members of the organization are welcome at all meetings of all local chapters (once they have probed membership in good standing) However only the members of that local chapter are aloud to vote on the business of that chapter. IMO this encourages support of chapters or rings from members of other chapters or rings much more so than asking them to step out.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Non-Member visitors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL