The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to use books to learn mentalism? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
I was talking about the hardcover Cassidy book. As far as I know, Artful 2 isn't available as an eBook.

David

David,

The section of AM 2 which deals with character and subtext is the same text as the Fundamentals ebook. That section was re-released in the physical book.

Btw, thank you for your extremely generous and thoughtful post on the thread you started elsewhere. I am routinely challenged and encouraged by your posts. It is appreciated.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
423 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
Lots of good advice here, and I think you should definitely read the mentioned books.

But I also want to give you a piece of advice that might be controversial:

Look at as many videos of mentalism performances as you can.
Buy a video lecture of a performer that you like.

Learn ONE routine this performer does, and use the EXACT SAME presentation.
Sign up for a local open mic night and do the routine exactly as your favorite performer.
Do that a few times!

Keep notes after every performance.
What went well, what didn't?
Were there moments where the script didn't feel right to you? Where it didn't feel like you? Try to change that, so it fits YOU.
You will discover that you will learn a lot about your natural mannerisms and your natural style, because they will inevitably bleed through.
By the time you performed this routine 50 times, you will have a very solid routine with your own style.
You will also learn a lot about audience interaction, improvisation, dealing with failures and being more comfortable on stage.
Then go from there! Find or develop more material that fits your style.

that's just the way ever other artist starts out. Musicians start by covering songs by other people, painters start by copying other paintings. And that is totally fine.

Just don't stop there.

Good luck and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to use books to learn mentalism? (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL